ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm tired of my roadster looking so... well, tired! My front bumper is wavy in a few spots - I suppose the material just doesn't age well left out in the sun all the time. Is it possible to use some kind of flexible filler to give a urethane bumper a new, flat surface and then repaint, or is replacement my only option?

I wouldn't mind getting one of the cheap GV knock-off bumpers, but I've heard lots of problems about their fitment that scares me off from them a bit.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
take the bumper off. use a heat gun or blow dryer and heat it up fairly well. dont burn it. it will get very flexible. use a rag soaked in cold water and shape the bumper back the way you want. let the rag sit for a minute or so until the bumper is solid and back in the shape you want it.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Does the method Jared describe really work!?!

Sounds like a good idea...and easy too.

Not too sure I could find a bathtub big enough for a bumper though...maybe a hot-tub! LOL! I'm sure my parents would LOVE that!

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Does the method Jared describe really work!?!

Sounds like a good idea...and easy too.

Not too sure I could find a bathtub big enough for a bumper though...maybe a hot-tub! LOL! I'm sure my parents would LOVE that!
There was a report of someone successfully doing this in "Softtop-Hardtop", the MX5OC Magazine; bumper fitted easily into a standard sized bath. Maybe American baths are made for midgets or something. You don't need to immerse the whole bumper at the same time.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
it works without the bath method haha! ive done it and have seen it done before. It works great as long as you spread the heat evenly

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Well that's a neat trick to know about.

The fellow local club member could have used this info before he bought my spare bumper cover, but I'm happy to have sold it to him instead. LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts