ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to do a short write up for getting some new vacuum hoses, I know there must be a good handful of people who probably looking at purchasing an expensive silicone hose kit or replacing their old vacuum lines with rubber hoses due to not being able to get silicone line. I'm sure this isn't useful to most here but its of help to a novice.

I visited Silicone Intakes to purchase hoses by the foot, they have an engine dress up kit option. The kit includes everything you will need for the basics with a good amount of line left over. The total cost of the kit is $29.99, the total cost of the amount of line you get adds up to $36 if not purchased as a kit. The cost of a kit from other companies usually is between $70-$90, so its close to $40-$60 in savings.

A side by side comparison of their lines vs. other brand lines.

Here is the link to the kit option in the color black:
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=309&osCsid=6e86b002838369d0c582a6396b07f4c9
The colors they offer are black, blue & red.

Why replace rubber hoses with silicone hoses?

1. Make your engine bay have that ricer look thus adding +10hp.
  2. Silicone hoses have a longer life than rubber hoses.
  3. Silicone hoses with enough thickness will not collapse, explode or split like rubber hoses.
  4. Easier removal, while rubber hoses adhere to metal.
Now to the pictures? :haiguyths:

After I was done with the install & the line left over.

What the engine bay looked after.

So I had the worst luck with this sensor right here. Apparently one of the hoses had bonded to the port & when pulling it off the piece snapped off. Just cut the hoses off with a small blade if they're bonded to the pipes.

Again just wanted to post this for those who have no idea where to get some line or want to go with an expensive kit. Hope its of help.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
thanks for the link, just ordered the engine kit in red. was gonna go with black but thought red would go nicely with my spark plug wires and would also make it easy to identify different lines if they are different colors while doing maintenance.

my bay wont look super crazy red, like yours does blue because i wont be using as much of the hoses because i've deleted some of the stuff like the charcoal canister and the line going from the intake tube to the valvecover and replaced with a breather filter

·
Registered
375 Posts
Silicone has very little resistance to abrasion. I used silicone plug wires on a car I had long ago and where one of the wores was positioned across a rubber hose, the hose abraded a neat semicircular bite out of the wire. The stock hoses in my 2001 are holding up nicely, so I will not be doing this.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't either but my hoses were well due & I had some vacuum leaks. The new hoses have aided in fixing some of the vacuum leaks. My search still continues.

Only reason in posting this was to give others a few savings instead of spending a lot of money on a kit. I'll see how the hoses hold out with time, its just $30. No biggie.

That is definitely... ummm... blue...
I have the least clue why I went with blue when I could have just gone with black. I'm sure what influenced me to stupidly decide on blue was because its my favored color. Great...

·
Registered
695 Posts
"ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the requested URL the following error was encountered:
Zero Sized Reply

Footprint did not receive any data for this request.
Footprint 4.8/FPMCP"

idk wth that means >__>

·
Registered
695 Posts
Now the one in the original post works, as well as in your last post. Maybe it was just me >___>

Thanks!!!!!

I think I'll probably buy some black ones, cuz blue would be overkill (esp cuz I have a mariner blue) LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds great, thanks for sharing! I see the Silicone Intakes kit comes with several different ID hoses. Did your Miata require all those, or was there one particular size that is needed?

1991 Mazda Miata Mariner Blue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for resurrecting an old thread. :)

I just ordered a Red kit for my faded Red 91. Hopefully, it will arrive quickly.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
SiliconeIntakes.com is like crack. I buy **** I dont even want from that site. Pricing is pretty good and it's my go-to site for anything they carry. I've siliconed four different cars... but only the first one was red. I admit - totally awful.

After that... nothing but black. Both my Miata and I have matured since the red phase, I think!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resurrecting again- jumbosrule, or any one else, was the Dress up kit enough to do all the lines you replaced? Or do I need to order more? Also I was looking up the brake booster vacuum line... it seems it has a check valve in it. Any issues with that?

TIA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts