ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some jerk hit my miata in the parking lot a month ago, and made a big dent on one side of the front fender... the problem is that there is no insurance for my miata. So I bought another set of fenders, and I'm trying to replace the old ones with the set that i bought myself..
My question is that is it hard for a newbie to take off both fenders and put new ones on?? and how long does it usually take for me to finish the whole process?? and what tools or screwdrivers do i need for that??? anybody please tell me the instruction on the process
Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I haven't done it but most cars:
Remove fender liner
Unbolt from hood/door jamb/possibly bumper area..
Should be very easy to do.
No worries!! :)

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
There are a couple of hard to get to nuts that hide out under the bumper cover that can be a little difficult to remove......
Just take your time, don't rush it, and "One side at a time"

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know for my NB that all you need is a
-phillips head screw driver to get the plastic "screw clips" on the fender liner off
- use an 8mm to get the screw that holds the bumper on to the fender which right at the edge of the fender well area do both sides to take bumper off
-Next use an 10m to take out the 4 bolts under the hood and slip the bumper off
-once the bumper is off there is 2 10mm bolts at the front bottom of the fender
-Then there are about 4-5 bolts on the fender under the edge of the hood and then two on the bottom of the fender where the mud flaps would be and these are all 10mm
-open the door and at the top corner of the fender is another 10mm bolt
then one more, reach behind the fender towards the door and about mid way there is a 10mm nut that you might need an extention to get to it.

and that is it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the answers! So do i need to get under the car to take off the bumper fisrt, inorder to take off the fenders???

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
the fenders are held at on by one on the bottom near the door, i think there is two from the door area, 3-5 in the engine bay, one near the wiper cowl on both sides.

my miata had some stubbun bolts holding the bumper on so i loosened the bumper and shifted it forward. pull wheel lining out and there was 2 bolts and the little arm to loosen the bumper.

might want to look into a wire tuck while you are in there. (if that is what your into) i yanked all my airbag wiring while in there.

·
CR.net Supporter
515 Posts
Whoa there, theres a little more to it than that. For the best alignment and easiest IMO the bumper and fenders should come off together. It doesn't have to be done this way but once you try to restart and or unbolt the plate that secures the fenders to the bumper you'll know why I say this. Start with the fender liners- already explained
There is a tab inside the fender round about where the the JDM-Euro side markers would be on the 1.8s I believe , I'm not sure if its on the early cars or not.
There is the one under the rocker just in front of the doors. The four under the hood sides. Then for the best fit and no major gaps take off the bumper support rods on either side underneath, the 8-10 along the strip under the hood.
Finally, remove the under tray from the front bumper and slide the whole thing off to the front. From there, there are two plates on either side that hold the bumper to the fenders and are now very easily accessible. If you put it back in the same order you will have better fit with the hood and wont spend an hour trying to get the fenders lined up and tightening the plates, bolts back together at the bumper. If you slide it back on put in the top bolts under the hood closest to the windshield and the ones inside the fenders leaving all finger tight for now. Then attach the front bumper squarely and align with the hood you hopefully left on and propped up with a piece of wood. Tighten these bolts then the other three under the hood and then in reverse the remaining attachment points tightening as you go. The rest of the points kind of wrap the front end well for a good fit. If I missed any refer to those above me. This is just what I have found to be worth the extra work for less of a struggle with some parts and endless adjusting afterwards. Of course do it how you wish and good luck I'm sympathize with your problem, most of us have been there at some time or another.

·
who moved my Pinto?
587 Posts
I took our left-front off by loosening the bumper but it was tough, you'll get alignment better if you take bumper off too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts