ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to restore the plastic console pieces?

I think the previous OP that had my car used too much wet look on it? They have a real build-up on them.

Any product out there that will remove it? and then how do I bring it back to life?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
remove them and wash them with dish soap, and a bit of purple power/simple green. It may take a few washes. then you can either use a plastic primer and some satin black paint, or use something like Turtle Wax ICE interior cleaner. leaves the interior clean and natural looking, not glossy and slick

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Actually, brake fluid strips them in a hurry. Any trace of Armor All or anything else will be gone in moments. It also nurtures the plastic. It's really a great plastic cleaner.

Obviously you must be careful with the brake fluid. Don't spray it or anything. Just pour some on a paper towel away from your car paint. Don't soak the towel. You'll figure it out pretty quick.

Remove the excess fluid with a clean paper towel. Then apply the plastic treatment of your choice. I like Meguiar's Natural Shine. It's got a UV protectant and leaves things not too shiny.

·
Registered
61 Posts
try lysol, just saying lysol takes off nasty cooking grease with ease.ive tried it on my old computer and it took it off real easy.

·
Supporting Member
324 Posts
Clean with dishwashing liquid to remove all the dirt, and simple green as mentioned in the second post. I then used the same plastic spray paint that I used to restore the dash on a '93 LE on the center console, with OE looking results.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
I used to use WD40 on my dirtbike plastics. I would never use it on my dash.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Clean with dishwashing liquid to remove all the dirt, and simple green as mentioned in the second post. I then used the same plastic spray paint that I used to restore the dash on a '93 LE on the center console, with OE looking results.
Which spray paint do you speak of? Im looking for a black spray paint that is as close to oem console color and texture as possible.

·
Registered
945 Posts
try lysol, just saying lysol takes off nasty cooking grease with ease.ive tried it on my old computer and it took it off real easy.
Why did you have cooking grease on your computer? and brake fluid or dish soap work great with some time and elbow grease. Be sure to remove the center console first. No point in doing all this inside the car.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I like to clean my interior with Invisible Glass by Stoner. Actually, I clean everything with it, from a greasy engine, to my dashboard. For plastics I follow up with Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner. I don't know why, really, but I seems to leave a nice natural 'new plastic' look, and doesn't 'dry out' the plastic so it doesn't turn grey after a few days.

Landau Black from SEM seems to be the "go-to" spray paint for plastic restoration dudes.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Auto stores ALWAYS have sales on these two cleaners in the gallon versions. Well wroth it to pick those up and refill an old windex bottle. GL with the cleaning mang.

·
Supporting Member
324 Posts
Which spray paint do you speak of? Im looking for a black spray paint that is as close to oem console color and texture as possible.
Here's the link:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

I never liked wipe on products because they get wiped off, and you're left with the same issue. The OE console has a matte finish to it, not shiny. The matte finish spray paint, sprayed LIGHTLY, will mimic that look. By the way, you must use it outside, or in a very well ventilated area, it smells like cancer out of the can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great thanks.

The car is in storage right now but I am thinking of pulling it out and putting it in my garage. The weather up here has been unusually warm and I could be working on dismantling and cleaning the car! It would be nice to get some of my clean ups done on it before the spring (it is going in for a new paint job in the spring).

I want to restore all the plastics and clean up the carpet before it goes for the paint job.

I have ordered new red and black leather seat upholstery, stainless sill trim, rear spoiler, and custom red leather shifter boot, brake, and armrest for it. So, if I can get all the dirty work done before the paint job then all I will have to do is install all of the interior upgrades when I get it back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts