ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of spark plug do I need to run to retard spark timing?
I'm running BKR6EGP platnium spark plugs
I would like to try retarding timing in the rear most cylinder #4

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
I know that running a smaller gap on a spark plug will make it act as if the timing is retarded and a larger gap makes it act advanced. After a bit of googling, apparently the composition of the spark plug can effect the timing but to a lesser degree. I didn't figure out what compositions do what but ID assume the more efficient, higher end spark plugs act as if the timing is advanced

·
Registered
862 Posts
What about the other three cylinders?? Are you going to advance or retard those? Also, what is your reasoning for wanting to retard the timing in the first place?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
He's boosted so he might be having an efficiency issue with cylinder 4....possibly running hotter because of the stock coolant routing or something along those lines.

Thats just my best guess

·
Registered
158 Posts
just do a coolant reroute instead of trying to patch the problem. the reason why cylinder 4 runs hotter is because the miata's routing of the cooling system is retarded

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
This thread makes my head hurt.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
OMG I need to lay down after reading this and the guy who wanted to mod his car to run 91 octane.

FYI, Spark plugs don't retard or advance the timing. They run hotter or colder. Then you adjust the gap for the type of compression you are running. If you run platnium you are trowing away money. If you are getting detonation on cylinder 4, a coolant reroute is in order or get colder spark plugs pared with high octane gas. Stay away from octane boosters, they don't work. If you are boosted... well you are fucked because if you have to ask this question. You will be blowing up your engine soon. If you don't want your engine go Boom, research, research, and when you think you read enough, research some more. GL

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Link to the 91 octane lulz?

Tech actually knows what hes talking about...hes pretty smart. I'm surprised he asked a question like this

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
^it's a locked thread a few threads down in this section.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts