ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a custom mount made for my Recaro SPG by TC Design fab (great guys for fab work if you're in the bay area). Everything was bolted down nice and tight when I had it installed. When I traded cooploop for his autopower cage, and had to remove my seat, I couldn't get the inside front bolt to screw all the way down. I tried mixing the seat bolts, but to no avail. My seat bracket now has about 3-5mm of wiggle room. I looked recently, and saw some metal shavings in the area. I cleaned out the metal shavings, but I still couldn't get the bolt to go all the way tight.

Any ideas guys?:dunno:

·
Registered
37 Posts
You could try running a bolt up from underneath if you can get at it. Just make sure you use a hardened bolt. It will thread onto the good threads and chase out the wiggily ones. A tap works best.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The OEM seat bolts have a very large head on them.

When I installed my MAZDASPEED seats, one of the bracket mount bases isn't wide enough so the OEM seat bolt won't bolt in because the large bolt head mis-aligns the bolt. I just used a regular high-tensile 10mm, 1.25mm threaded bolt and washer with a "flat-side" against the seat bracket to secure it.

I suspect you may have the same problem - try a regular bolt instead.

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
Heli Coil. One of the seat bolts on my '96 was fubar'ed when I got it. I heli-coiled it and now it's good as new. Actually...better than new. Had to do the same thing on my '99 because I cross threaded one of the bolt holes like a monkey once when swapping seats.

I don't know what it is about the seat bolts but they seem to get messed up fairly easily. Probably because they're at a bit of an odd angle and people cross thread them easily.

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
I actually don't recall. If you get the heli-coil kit for the stock bolt size it should work perfectly. You can even reuse your stock bolt if the threads are good on it.

For mine, someone had tried to "repair" it in the past by actually re-threadding the hole for some random, larger bolt. That didn't work out very well so I just got a heli-coil kit and a new bolt so that I could redo the whole thing.

·
here for farts
680 Posts
did you try to remove the seat bracket and see if the bolt will thread in? i would see about trying that with some WD-40 to fix the threads. that is a large bolt and i believe corse threads, may work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts