ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Prefix is private transaction only because there was not an option for my specific situation.

Company- Retro Modern (RM)
Part- Climate Control Knobs
Personal experience- Extremely negative
Part satisfaction- Clean parts, not functional, not as advertised
Customer service- Terrible
Website- http://www.retromoderngroup.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_60

Expected outcome- I plan to keep the knobs, i am enough of a DIY kind of person that i can make the knob functional with a set screw. I simply want others to be made aware of the BS i had to deal with when purchasing this product.

So, i am relatively new to the Miata world, and do not have worlds of experience with some of these vendors/ companies. So other than searching and reading threads, I don't have much to go off of.

With that said, I have recently sourced a new hvac box for my 95' Miata with the intent to replace the faceplate and the knobs. Personally i love the appearance of the Retro Modern set with the diamond knurls.

Issue #1- It took the company 2 attempts to send the product to the correct address. After tracking the package to what i thought was my house, i received an error message saying it was undeliverable. Which leads me to issue 2

Issue #2- Once i realized this issue, i contacted RM and received a very negative, sour attitude. I was told that it went to the address provided, which was impossible because on my order receipt, it specifically stated the correct shipping address. I tried to explain this to him, calmly, and received nothing but negative attitude. He then told me that the package would be sent back to him, then he would have to send it back to me once he received it again, understandable, yet annoying.

Issue #3- I receive the item, and open them up, and realize that there is only the diamond knurling on 1 of the 4 knobs. On the site it states nothing of this sort. I call him again, and am told that it is only supposed to be on one of them. I mentioned it to him that he may want to add that in to the description. Again, i was met with more negativity.
*Note- this diamond knurl option is an additional $40 on top of the already expensive $99 price tag.

Issue #4- The large knob that controls the fan speed- not functional. See attached pictures. Basically, on the oem knob, there is 2 male notches on the removable knob that mate with the 2 female notches on the perch that allow control of the fan speed. The knob from RM is completely smooth, and has no ability to control the perch to control the fan speed, rendering it completely useless.

All in all, the knobs look fantastic, but with everything else involved there is absolutely no way i could suggest that anyone do business with this company, specifically not to buy these knobs.

As i am writing this, i went to the site in an attempt to link the product to this review, and it appears as if he has removed it from his site.

TL;DR- Retro Modern blows, his customer service blows, his products are useless shiny objects. Do not do business with him.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
that is the way it is manufactured. you have to slightly pry the 2 metal prongs apart and they grip the inside of the RM piece and it does indeed work. I know because I have the same exact kit. I love them and use them every morning when it is cold. RM is an amazing company and I personally know the owner from the Mazfest meet back in 2013. he has always helped me with any questions I have had about his products. maybe you just caught him at a bad time?

in any other case, I am sorry you have had such a negative transaction with them.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
If you want a custom fan control insert to allow for that large base plate (or even a non-custom one from a different set than the Version Roadster) just let me know. That shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let me first address the "bad customer service". I have spoken to you twice.
The first time you called me was because of the shipping error. I was informed that the shipment went to the wrong address. I apologized for the screw up and informed you that i often have a friend come help me package and ship things out. he was the one that shipped out your package.

You then asked me "why this was sent to the wrong place, why was it sent to the wrong address when the order form asks for my address?"
I said "i don't know. ill find out"

You then repeated the same question.
Again, i said, i don't know. ill let you know when i do.

you asked the same question again. This is when i started getting annoyed. What makes you think that i would magically know the answer a minute later when i had already told you 3 times that i did not know? I do not subscribe to "the customer is ALWAYS right" mentality. The customer may be right 99% of the time, but this is one of those times when the customer is right, but the customer is also being unreasonable. Yes, i got "negative and sour" with you, and if this is bad customer service, then so be it. The reason why the package was shipped to the wrong address is because the wrong address it was shipped to was the one listed/produced by PayPal on your PayPal invoice. My shipping guy didn't double check with the web invoice, so i accept responsibility for his mistake. There's your answer.

Now, to address the design of the knobs, they're designed the way they are because it is a functional design, that allows me to produce something for the community that is cost effective and at the time of release, not easily obtainable from the other manufactures. That is how they're designed. If you don't like the design, send it back, and i will refund you 100% of the cost of the purchase plus return postage. If you put a set screw in there, then i can not offer you a refund.

Of the 50+ units that i have shipped out, 3 have been brought to my attention as having this fan knob problem. You are the third. I don't know why those 3 knobs didn't fit as tightly as they should but the fix is simply to take a small flat head and bend those two prongs out slightly (as I told you over the phone, and people in this thread have also stated). The set that you bought is the minimalist set which had NO knurls on it. Adding the knurls is only to the fan button, and this has been the case ever since the minimalist knobs were offered. The fully knurled knobs that were initially offered was $169 + shipping. Thats a different SKU# and a different option.

Again, if you want a refund, i have no problems giving that to you. Let me know what you want to do.

ps: the product has been removed because you bought the last set. it is automatically set to do this when quantity reaches zero.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts