ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to find a definitive answer:

Will 195/70/14's on stock steelies fit on my NA without any mods?

I found a SWEET set of Raised White Letter tires and want to find out if they will work before I open the wallet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Stock height car? There may be enough clearance for the height of the tire when the suspension is not compressed. Under compression, I'd bet your tire will rub the fender liner, possibly the lip too. If it's lowered, I bet you'll rub all the time.

Width should fit, steelies are 14 x 5.5, so 195 shouldn't be too wide.

You'll screw up your speedo. When you're speedo says 60, you'll be going 65.3.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car has stock ride height. Is anyone running this size tires on there stock miata?
Thanks for the information.

Andrew

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
with stock ride height and those tires, you may find you will have the clearance of a small pickup. well maybe not that high, but you'll be even higher than stock.

I really like the idea you're going for though, would look cool with some baby moon wheels, although thats more of a herbie look rather than a 70's roadster look.

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Cool idea - white/yellow lettering is overdue a comeback!

I think the larger tyre size would look cool if it fits - old GT racers from the 60's had much larger wheel sizes than we run today, usually 15" with big sidewalls, and they look great.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
You could try one of those tire lettering pens to get a similiar look with properly sized tires.
been there, done that, those tire lettering paint kits/pens are garbage. Only time it looks half decent is the second after you put it on there. Even then it doesnt look nearly as good as real raised white letters. Soon enough it turns brown, chips off, etc....

·
Registered
50 Posts
BFG makes the Radial TA in 215/60-14. It's a little wide, but it'll fit better than the 75 series.

·
3,857 Posts

I found a SWEET set of Raised White Letter tires and want to find out if they will work before I open the wallet.

Thanks!
These are humongous!!!
They are way larger than my 215/45/16 tires (which are already way larger than the stock).
FYI I used to have rubbing issues in the top of the front fender wells (even w/o fender liners)...
I bet that you'll be in big trouble, you'll rub all the time...even w/o you sitting in the car :mrgreen:

·
3,857 Posts
btw...

·
Registered
43 Posts

Thanks!
for drifting , i once had 195/70R14's on the rear on my stock daisies back in the day(just junk tires that i had to run since i didnt have anything else at the time), and i had FM springs and KYB AGX shocks and didnt rub at all. just really nasty tires to slide on, major side wall roll over too, changed the gear ratio a lot, and in my opinion didnt look good, but you're going for a totally different retro look so things may be different. but yes it fits without rubbing at all.

(daisies and steelies are almost the same by the way.)

it will work.

but personally i think it looks better when you just paint the letters on decent sized tires lol. that size is for big nasty sedans that handle really bad.

·
3,857 Posts
I bet anything that it will rub in the front...there is the problem...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts