ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all so haven't started a build thread for this car yet but, will get on that soon.

With MRLS coming up I promised Moti I'd have an unbiased review of his spoiler since the NC version doesn't seem to sell nearly as easily as the NA/NB version...my thought on this is that a/less NC's than NA's/NB's, b/most NC people seem to be more Mnet oriented for looks & bling rather than fun & functionality : 3gears: I however, am an anti Mnetter, gutting a perfectly good 10AE in the past and now adding some race parts to an NC3 Clubsport...first real modification being a race part, I think I may be headed down the same road I went with my NB which I said I wouldn't do a few months ago when I bought it but, eh, it's a miata & I have a modding addiction so it starts :blaugh: :bouncin: : 3gears: :icon_cheers:

I highly reccommend if you don't have any rear aero or don't have any aero at all, give Moti's demo pieces a whirl

other spoiler/wing options I was considering aside from this one:
APR 200 - PROS: Beautiful CF 3d design, as functional as it gets CONS: expensive, attracts cops & thieves like money attracts strippers at a stripclub, even if I painted it to match the car and tried to claim it was factory like the s2kCR had similarly I still couldn't imagine not getting harrassed by cops with something like that on my car.

DG motorsports fiberglass(sold by goodwin) PROS: looks great, flows well with the body lines, love the angle of it CONS: not adjustable & after having their hardtop.... likely fitment issue nightmare, the hardtop DG makes is likely going to require more work to fit/seal nicely than the autokonexion fastback on my old NB...but that's another story....ONWARD

What's included:
lexan spoiler pre-assembled to hinges & BBFW decal preinstalled
2 brackets to raise the rear and start the incline
all stainless hex head bolts
all stainless nylock nuts
3very stout support rods & bracketry

first thought just looking at things when I got home...really $280?!? but, im a cheapass and think I can do anything myself... then looking at the parts, everything is top notch, reverse threaded support rods for easy adjustment...literally just break the jam nuts loose and increase or decrease angle...stainless everything, lexan is precision cut with smooth/finished edges (something I struggle with even with a fine jigsaw) & countersunk

PICS COMING SOON!
every thing needed for install:

How the aluminum brackets go(there was no clear pic online or in the instructions):

all installed:

Low angle:

High angle:

Review:

Customer Service 10/10 Moti was amazing to deal with, in the good kind of way. Called when I had a question & he answered or returned the call/text & explained as best he could over the phone, still had an issue I couldn't figure out with spoiler bowing towards the center drove it down to the shop, he took a few minutes looking at it and figured things out rather quickly, he really knows his products...in my case I had tightened the hardware on the braces before attaching to the car & I needed to properly drill the 4 inner supporting holes & the hole saw spots underneath on the triangular pieces which Moti did for me

Install difficulty 4/10 plan on it taking a couple hours...read instructions first, blue tape(maybe double/triple layer it to protect the paint from the hinged areas), measure & mark, re-measure, re-measure again if it still looks good go for the drill otherwise re-measure again, absolutely have a buddy for help(this is what I believe caused my misalignment issue causing my inner 4 holes to be oblonged at the end result(completely my fault). if you're at all hesitant about install and local to the shop, check with Moti on availability/cost of that he really moves quickly

Looks: 7/10 I like it, it's not everyone's cup of tea especially for a daily driver with the 3 support rods. I'm contemplating painting the lexan to match the car. It's not as pretty as others but, for the price, really can't be beat, only way possible is if you were an engineer or very connected with the right people/tooling, When I looked into my own semi-similar design cost got to around $150 but I knew it wouldn't look as nice or be as effective plus figuring out where to drill for my own design would've ended up with my nicely painted trunk looking like swiss cheese

Functionality 10/10 it actually really works well....it doesn't significantly unbalance the car but the ass is very planted. I don't have quantifiable data but it's a very noticeable difference from nothing to lowest angle, then lowest angle to highest angle is another jump.

Went out for a test drive after installing it with the lowest angle(rods fully shortened) didn't notice any increase in drag though I'm sure there may be some at this level but going through a long sweeper style on ramp and then through a short windy road car didn't get unsettled like it had been due to crappy pavement, even at lower speeds of 30-40 it was noticeable

Then the same run after adjusting the rods to create the steepest angle, wow. I'm sure this setup utilizes drag to make the downforce but with it fully raised the rear really feels very planted, almost to the point of unbalance and needing front aero or suspension improvements but it doesn't make it tail happy just a very noticeable effect of hey rear is really down & front not so much

Pricepoint 8/10: It's not cheap but, it works very well and is designed about as perfect as a single plane spoiler can be. Sure as mentioned above you could make your own cheaper, will it look as nice? doubtful, will it be as effective? again, doubtful is it as effective as a 1k APR GTC200, no, does it have more drag sure but, price vs. effectiveness if someone could get quantifiable numbers( $ vs. DF, $ vs. drag & downforce lbs vs drag caused) i'm pretty sure the BBFW would run reasonably competivily against the APR

Install hints:
Mentioned in the instructions but....ANTI-SEIZE ALL THE THINGS! I didn't heed this warning & had to take an angle grinder to a bolt on the little aluminum bracket :smile9: luckily it worked well, didn't screw up the bracket, a quick trip to the hardware store and all was well again

blue tape is your friend

straightedge will need to be at least 4 feet long & a buddy for that step of marking/drilling the inner 4 holes is a very good idea

leave all support rod hardware loose until final install

Ideas for improvement/options for consideration:

-label bracket sides, although only takes a few minutes to quickly figure out if switched between sides or update instructions to include their specific orientation....more squared part towards bottom, sides face outward

-templates for drilling in addition to the measurement instructions would be great

-gurney flap &/or some kind of endplates...just an idea, didn't see it previously discussed on the other threads

-option to run even lower angle (ie: shorter support rods) to focus on drag reduction vs. downforce increase (had talked with Moti briefly about it at the shop, it's available for NA/NB trunks by drilling 2 additional holes more inward on the trunk & a shorter center support but has yet to be done on an NC)

-carbon option with honeycomb core(would raise cost but likely simplfy installation since CF is much stiffer than lexan, would obviously lose the unimpaired visibility)

Overall, totally satisfied and look forward to having more of Moti's well engineered products on the car...you'll have to check my build thread in the coming months...talked with him about some cool aero bits, and yes, car will stay daily driven.

Side note: Sorry but, I don't think this will work well for other unintended purposes like a sunshade(it's clear), ironing board(plastic melts), a bed(it's only 12" wide & less than 4' long) but it is a damn good spoiler :haiguyths:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Great review, looking forward to your pics!

You hit the nail on the head with where the value lies - dollar to performance ratio. There are few aero elements at this pricepoint that have such a proven and noticeable effect (and lower lap times).

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
Great installation hints, I cannot stress the importance of reading all the directions first. Also, measure twice, even three times, drill once!

Since this spoiler is allowable in W2W whereas some wings and such aren't, the visibility aspect of the lexan is needed. If someone is behind you and you can't see them because a piece of carbon is blocking your view, plan on hitting them and getting penalized. Endplates are not needed really, the spoiler doesn't create downforce the way a wing does.

-Henry

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, will try and have cleaned pics tonight :)

Good counter point on the cf henry, didn't think of it in that sense. Wouldn't end plates keep the air over the spoiler longer allowing more aero?

Ryan, when will the nc hood louvers be available again, those are next on my list ;-)

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
No, the air will go over the spoiler only as fast as the car goes. Endplates are used to isolate the top and bottom regions of the wing. Doing so creates a large pressure gradient and keeps vortices to a minimum. A spoiler changes (spoils) the way the air flows over the car, creating downforce by altering laminar flow. You will have some higher pressure on the top side of a spoiler and lower behind it, but not as great as you would from a wing.

-Henry

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Thanks for the review Sean!

I try to stress the importance of reading the instructions, where the installer can find the best tips for an easy installation, but of course that means that you still have to follow them ;)
Obviously being local means that if you run into any installation issues you're welcome to call and set a time to come in (most likely within a day).
We're happy to help where we can :)

Your sentiment about value in terms of cost per performance is spot on, as both Ryan and Henry agreed.
I'll take it further and add reliability to the mix, seeing that the performance of the spoiler is there regardless of weather conditions, it doesn't heat cycle out, the Lexan is shatter proof etc..
It is as reliable as a rock.
In fact I've been around Miatas the last 17 years and can't think of a single performance part that offers so much performance for so little money and is as consistent in delivering it.
None, not even one.

As for your ideas for improvement (answering in the same order) -
1. Easy enough to incorporate, we'll see what's the easiest way to make it happen and thanks for the suggestion :)
2. Not sure if it's necessary, but I'll look into it.
3. No need for it, these are valid additions to a wing since the way it works is different (Henry pointed out the same as well) but not much to gain on a spoiler.
4. This is something that I might get to soon enough, though as I mentioned to you while you were at the shop, from a performance standpoint the usable range of the spoiler is what I'd set it to 90%+ of the time anyway :)
5. As you said it yourself, $280 *seems* to be a high price point so adding considerable amount more to it without any gain in lap time while losing usability doesn't strike me as a great move ;)
Of course, as you realized yourself upon inspection, the spoiler is well priced for how well it is put together and the kit being complete with high grade, well, everything!
Having the ability to see traffic behind you is one of my favorite features of the spoiler, excellent feature both on street and on track!

BTW, I totally agree with you about adding the Singular hood vents, they'll fit right in on your car :)

Thanks again, looking forward to see some photos of that beauty of yours!

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes very true about seeing behind, taped some paper to it to simulate if I painted it, ill be leaving main part clear or tint it as you had mentioned, may still paint tringular pieces though

Didn't think about reliabilty but Ive only had it a weekend

And I meant no disrespect by implying price seems high on initial impression, it's something people need to see/experience in person to really feel and see the value. I am very happy to be rocking this on a daily basis. It is absolutely a great value for money without a doubt

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Blackbird Fabworx NC Lexan Spoiler - Reliability

Oh no, no offense taken in any way :)
I know that the spoiler kit is well worth the $280 we sell it for!
I was just saying that from the angle of those who are just doing price shopping without really looking at product quality and features, it'll be hard to market a product that will cost even more.

This is one of the battle that as a manufacturer of quality items I deal with all the time, especially when it comes to custom roll cages, where price shopping alone is probably one of the dumbest things a person can do...

;)

As for reliability, here's a reply I wrote about the subject on another forum, true story -
The two that we have here exposed to the elements for the last year and a half show no signs of deterioration whatsoever.
Here's a short funny story.
The first Lexan spoiler that I made for a Miata (my old track car, Blackbird) was back in 2003 or 2004 -

Blackbird Fabworx was not even a faint idea at the time, I was just doing my own aero experiments and fabricated this one on the kitchen table in my old apartment one night.
I sold it a couple years later, and then the owner sold it to someone else and I had no idea where it went.
As it turns out, the owner of the spoiler when I saw it the next time was William Chen and the Spoiler was on his 949 Racing car, Enzo -

Aaaand here is the very same spoiler, crossing the finish line at the 2011 25 Hours of Thunderhill, as the winner of E2 class (#99) -

This spoiler is still being used today on the same car.
I think it's safe to say that reliability is not an issue :)

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures are finally up :)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Great review! :icon_cheers:

I REALLY want one but can't get my wife on board and not sure if i will exercise my presidential veto power or not..... :suicide: Nothing a spare trunk can't solve. ;)

Look forward to the build thread!

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spare trunks are very plentiful for NA's if you didn't want to go that route you could also just drill and then get plugs/caps for the holes if you didn't want the spoiler on 24/7

·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes sir, will take some this weekend :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts