ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Happy 2015 everyone! Something new I'm going to try this year is a monthly photo challenge. Every month, I'll post a couple of photography assignments. I'll also post that month's 2015 revlimiter.net Calendar image as a downloadable desktop background.

I'm pretty excited about this. It might be a lot of work and headaches, but then again, it might be a lot of fun. Got my fingers crossed.

January Desktop Image

Download it here! Sharka is the January 2015 calendar image, so he gets to be the first desktop of the year. Yay!

Photo Assignment 1: Snow

Since it's the time of year for it, why not exploit the white stuff? Take your tiny car and go shoot it in the snow. No other requirements - just a car (or some other awesome subject) and some snow.

If you're blessed with a LOT of snow in your scene, you'll discover that your camera really doesn't want to make the snow white. With default adjustments, the snow will come out a sort of medium grey and everything else will be under exposed. Try shooting on manual or just dialing in a bit of over exposure. +1 or +2 will usually do the trick in getting snow back to white.

Technical Assignment 1: Rule of Thirds

This is a very simple one – rule of 3rds. There are approximately 43,071,998 web pages about this topic, so I’ll not attempt to type more pages about it. Take a look at Wikipedia’s Rule of thirds entry. It’s pretty decent.

The cliff notes: try framing your subject where two of the lines cross. Having the horizon at exactly 1/3 or 2/3 up the photo is… kinda unnecessary. It also often results in a bit of a boring photo. The useful bit of the “rule” is in the framing of your subject. Getting your car in the cross-hairs can turn a bland image into one that looks natural. The Rule of Thirds can add that final bit of pop to your image. And it helps you to visualize your final image before you actually snap the pic.

Rules:

1: Photos due by January 31st.
2: Photo must be shot by you sometime this month. Shoot something new!
3: You can shoot as many times as you want. Shoot and post. Get feedback and then go back out and shoot some more.

annnnd... GO!

I realllly hope this takes off and is fun for everyone. And not a ton of work for me. And is generally awesome.

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
Re: revlimiter January Photo Challenge

What if we has no snows?

·
PNW JDM parts god
2,006 Posts

get creative with some cotton balls and some instant mashed potato flakes

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts

Breakfast Club.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

when are the entries due by?
End of the month. I edited the top post.

What if we has no snows?
That's a very real possibility for me. Probably a lot of other folks. If there's no snow, the only suitable substitute is bikini pix. Or banana hammock.

Is it bad that I enjoy instant mashed potatoes?
You know... some creamy mash and a hot wheels would work for the first photo if someone was really good with a macro lens.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
2,973 Posts

Does it have to be a Miata? I don't take mine out in the snow :domo:

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts

This.

I won't be driving mine until March at the earliest.

I do have a matching red "Miata of SUVs," though.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nope! You can shoot anything. You can shoot a snowy mountain scene with deer and moonbeams if you want. Just has to have snow in it.

I don't drive the Miata in the snow, but here are some photos I shot. Hopefully some inspiration for everyone.
I should probably edit the post a bit. The goal is to shoot something NEW. Inspiration is much appreciated, but the photo should be taken sometime this month.

The point of the challenge is to go out and shoot, not post up past photos.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah... the snow assignment might not happen for me. We were supposed to get 4" last night. We got zero.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We had snow for about 2 minutes. Now it's rain. This has been a terrible winter so far, I need snow! What's the point of cold weather without snow? ??

·
Closed Shell Syndrome
7,676 Posts

It's 53 degrees here and raining...in washington...in january.
It's supposed to be 37...and um, raining.

There's daffodil buds already starting to come out of the ground. I like global warming.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

It's snowing outside my window right now.

Anyone shoot anything yet?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts