ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who knows how much$$ and where??
Or who for that matter.
Anyone get back to me. I think PM would be best for both of us.
thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind. I found my old contact and got a hold of them already. I'm set.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn every year it just gets more and more expensive.

F*@K it, the looks while you're cruising is worth it.
haahahha

Still selling my 93 miata if anyone is interested to.
Also selling a 1993 Mazda RX7 and a fully built street 1985 mazda RX7 GSL-se.
hit me up if anyone is interested.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Costs the same to register the vehicle regardless of LHD or RHD. Only thing that would influence this is whether or not the vehicle is legal for road use in California and is capable of being registered. If it isn't legal than the cost is whatever it takes to get a corrupt government worker to commit an illegal act on your behalf.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
You can register anything you want (yes, even a Ferrari 333SP race car) for the street. That doesn't mean it's 100% legal for road use. That also doesn't mean you won't get away with it. It's just exceedingly difficult to play within the bounds of the law when the laws are so complicated and contradictory, especially when dealing with vehicles purchased out of state or vehicles never before registered in California. Where there's a will, there's a way. And it's one thing to be compliant with all local and/or state laws. It's entirely different to be compliant with all federal laws on the subject.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Instead of guessing how to do it right read about how to actually do it right from the source.

Federal compliance
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

State compliance
California
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf
http://159.145.15.175/stdpage.asp?Body=/smogcheck/default.htm
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/publications/Used_Vehicle_Smog_Equipment_Requirements-Jan_1993.htm
California Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Automotive Repair said:
Verify that the vehicle conforms to U.S. and/or California emission control standards.

Check for conformity

The vehicle must meet either U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or California standards. It is legal in California to buy or sell a used vehicle that meets only federal standards, but such vehicles may be subject to the Smog Impact Fee upon initial California registration.

From 1966 on, all domestic vehicles sold new in California had to be factory-equipped to meet California standards. From 1968 on, all domestic and imported vehicles were required to meet U.S. air pollution standards.

Look for an underhood label

1971 and newer vehicles have label showing that they were manufactured to meet either California or U.S. standards. The label is affixed in the engine compartment or in a readily accessible location. At the top of the label are the words VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION and the corporate name or trademark of the manufacturer.

Gray market (direct import) vehicles not originally designed to meet U.S. specifications may require major modifications and must be certified by the Air Resources Board before registration in California.
Feel free to add other states' regs to this list. Even though the system is inherently challenging with regards to gray market vehicle imports I do not advocate breaking the law. However, I do encourage creativity when it comes to problem solving.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I don't see the point of this; why would you want a rhd car in the US? Everyone will just think you're a postman, a cripple or, most likely, an idiot.

To legally import and register a Roadster will cost (I was quoted about 4 years ago) in excess of $10k (Federalising), plus the cost of crash testing two identical Roadsters.

If you really really want a rhd Roadster, just get Roadster front clip, and do the spanner work. Its very easy to convert a Miata to UK rhd spec, so the reverse should be the same. Of course, you'll end up with a worthless car, but hey ho.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
In SoCal it's really hard to stand out from the crowd. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Porsches are prevalent. RHD will get looks from other import tuner type enthusiasts who recognize the rarity and the connection to the car's spiritual roots back home in Japan where they are RHD.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
In SoCal it's really hard to stand out from the crowd. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Porsches are prevalent. RHD will get looks from other import tuner type enthusiasts who recognize the rarity and the connection to the car's spiritual roots back home in Japan where they are RHD.
Thats still stupid. Bit like those Japanese who order LHD Accords and Eclipses, so they can pretend to be American... What side the steering wheel sits has nothing to do with the car's "spiritual roots". And the reason why Japan drives on the left goes right back to Caesar.

Anyhow, the Roadster is basically an American Japanese car. It was conceived by Californians, not Japanese. So really, everyone should be slappiung on Miata badges. Like they do in Japan.....

Its all very shallow, isn't it. You don't see such hankering over rhd cars from US MG and Triumph enthusiasts.

If this is true, Californians must be very stupid people.

In the UK, LHD cars are brought because they are cheap.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Please halt with the name calling. Even though California is the land of fruits and nuts (their flag features a grizzly bear foraging for food) let's not point fingers and call names because people take their automotive passions (or automotive neurosis) to new or different levels.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Spiritual roots?? Cracking me up! LOL
Thats why I like modifying a Miata...I like to rip it from it's "spiritual roots". :D

As more or less indicated already, RHD is about getting/wanting attention, not anything spiritual.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts