ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thank's Bill for posting the pic...

On to what to do and how I did it...

I picked up a set of Raydot mirrors from Adam Pristas. Adam is the guy that was at the Gap with the mirrors on his fenders.

I realized that I'd have to make an adaptor to fit the single post mirror onto the '94 door, with three holes.

I made a pattern first...

Then made the first one, drilled holes and put a crease in it to help it fit to the door contour better.

Now I bolted the mirror to the base, made a gasket and put it on the car.

Questions? Just ask!!

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Hmm, hadn't realised the 3rd hole on 93+ door skins was enlarged so much. I was hoping to bolt a Desmo (Raydyot) mirror using this hole. The bar (?) visible below looks like it will be impossible to get onto the fixing nut.

Anyone know what the diameter of this hole is. I'm due to start looking at a few suppliers; there are several different makers of Desmo mirrors about.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Offered up one of my Desmo mirrors today; reckon a little dremel surgery to the door innards, to enable access to the fixing nut, and a thick (c. 5m) rubber washer to simultaneously space out the mirror a little off the door, and I think allow the mirror to be securely mounted and still allow adjustment (ordinarily adjustment is locked up when the mirror is fitted).

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
can you make those plates to sell me a pair? ;)

or do you guys know anywhere that sells them? maybe block off plates, i can drill out center for my custom mirrors?

TeRRy
Just saw this... so you want a set of the plates? I'll see if I still have the patterns.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
I have a set of the plates... the doors I am swapping on... I found out were modified and I can't use them (the plates) anymore.

If someone wants them, just send me the 20 I paid for them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GB anyone?

If I have some of these made up...

-should they be the size/shape of the footprint of removed power mirrors to cover any difference in the paint?
-how many holes would you want?
-material? (.125" aluminum OK?)
-finish? (polished? chromed? black krinkle powdercoated?)
-what's a fair price per pair?

Bill

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GB anyone?

:mrgreen:

If I have some of these made up...

-should they be slightly larger than the footprint of OEM power mirrors to cover any difference in the paint?
-how many holes would you want?
-material? (.125" aluminum OK?)
-finish? (polished? chromed? black krinkle powdercoated? attempt to match your OEM color?)
-what's a fair price per pair?

Bill

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
20 bucks, water cut would be great. Make 2 types:

1 for the "small base" manual mirrors
1 for the "large base" power mirrors

Make them a tad larger than the gaskets, so you can reuse your stock gaskets, or get them from the dealer if you need a replacement. The manual gaskets are longer but not as wide as the power mirror gaskets.

possibly include screws or allen bolts

no hole but a punch mark on the underside so that if you want to use them as a mirror blank/deletion you'd be able to.

polished/unpolished options for those who want to paint them.

Rich's set were great; my only dissapointment is that they're not cut perfectly oval.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Rich's set were great; my only dissapointment is that they're not cut perfectly oval.
Yeah, making stuff by hand is tough... If I had access to a Flow Jet I'd have done that. There's a shop I know of that has one, just haven't checked into the cost. I know there's a design cost, then a cost to run the job, then the material cost. Could get pricey...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am interested in plates black powdercoated for a 1993 Miata with Power Mirrors.

I plan on using the same Raydot mirrors you are running so If I can get them with the holes precut for easy install that would be great.

Please contact me at this email for payment.

[email protected]

Andrew Conti 617 852 6413 Cell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts