ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While each person's vision of their roadster is unique, I think most of them can be classified under styling genres.

So far this is what I've come up with with a brief overall description. Feel free to add to it.

All Original - Owners perform no modifications to their car. This encapsulates most Miatas as most folks just drive their cars. The enthiusiasts in this group usually have garage queens and take pride in how original thir cars are and often feel they will hold their value better as collector items. The cars also often have low miles on them.

Classic Roadster - Owners modify their cars with bits of chrome, wood, leather and/or bodykits inspired by roadsters of the 50s and 60s. Also referred to as Vintage.

Autocrossers - Owners only perform mods based on SCCA rules and typically only if they offer performance benefits.

Spec Miata - Owners with dedicated track Miatas modified for Spec Miata racing.

Tuners - Owners who only modify their vehicles performance and see cosmetic mods as unnecessary or added weight. Often these cars are boosted and include full coil-over suspensions, big brakes, programable ECUs, etc... These cars are street driven and also track driven. Since they don't autocross they are not restricted by rules and since they are street driven they are more comfortable than Spec Miatas.

Roadster on a Diet - Owners of these cars are obcessed with shedding as much weight as possible. Gutted interiors, no A/C or radio. Often no top at all. Body panels may be swapped for carbon fiber duplicates. They go to more extremes than the Spec Miatas in saving weight.

JDM Lovers - Owners modify their cars with rare and hard to get Japanese home market products. (I'd say this is a good portion of CR.net members.)

Full Show Cars - Over the top cars with plenty of bling. They have body kits, large rims, custom paint, killer sound systems, and lots of shiney bits. At the extreme level these are not street driven but trailered to shows.

Club Roadster So-Cal Style - Seems to be a very specific style. Standard requirements include a hardtop, slammed suspension, wide zero-offset rims with narrow tyres stretched over the rims and fender flares. (Another good portion of CR.net members go for this look.)

Naturally Miatas can also fall into non-specific vehicle genres like low-riders, rat rod, etc but I was trying to break down the Miata specific genres. I might be missing out on some so feel free to add to this.

What genre(s) do you fall into or have in mind as your style direction?

I personally consider my car to fall into Classic and JDM but aspire for some of the added performance of the Tuners and maybe some of the engine bling of the Show Cars someday.

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
I'd say my ideal is more of a 60's/70's club racer style - not vintage as that term reminds me of Peeble Beach type crap, but more like circuit biased Elans, Alfa's etc. I only happen to fall into the JDM camp as most of the parts that I desire are made in Japan and the lack of quality parts available in the UK is indicative of the different attitude to modified cars here. :?

One major group that you didn't include that seem to be hugely popular in the UK forums are the 'ad-hoc, through everything at the car' types who buy all the nastiest chrome interior parts, naff vinyls and heavy, crap looking 16"-17" wheels they can find. Funny thing is that these people are in their middle ages and originally fit into the 'standard' camp, but after one MX5 meet, they get swept along with it all and get carried away! I like to think of my car as the antithesis to all this! #-o

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would say that im not quite "Tuner" enough to be called that as i like cosmetic mods (ie. Shifter boot trim and such) and i also like my audio mods (ie. Behind the seat sub, and hiding headunit all brand matched Kenwood of course) I think there should be another category there for the Roadster Enthusiast like i think i am. I enjoy modifying my car for overall use. I am not afraid to rack up the miles. I will slap on a removable trunk rack for the longer trips. I want the car to be as comfortable as possible while still being able to perform as a miata should when the roads get twisty. I make performance mods as the budget allows (ie. custom intake). I make little changes here and there to make the car more appealing to me and more user friendly at the same time (ie. flash to pass mod)

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
yeah, tuner should also have cosmetics, because the look of the car does matter to some. (like me) and it seems this is the genre im in (along with so-cal)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Club Roadster So-Cal Style - Seems to be a very specific style. Standard requirements include a hardtop, slammed suspension, wide zero-offset rims with narrow tyres stretched over the rims and fender flares. (Another good portion of CR.net members go for this look.)
Hahaha!
I don't think anyone in socal uses fender flares with stretched tires for this "Club-roadster Socal Edition midnight club Look"

·
2,708 Posts
I'm more of a "Club Racer" style, bare minimum in creature comforts, gutted to all hell, don't care much for paint finish (rattlecan FTW), stiff suspension and carry a big stick (no pun intended).

·
4,436 Posts
i'm my own category because i'm one part so-cal and two parts JDM

i call it "i'm gay" style. because people think i'm gay because i'm in a miata.
Ok, that is about as old as "Where's the beef". Do people still think this or better yet, does anyone REALLY care what people think when your "gay" car flashes by them at 9psi? I guess I just do not care and drive whatever car I like. Maybe my age is showing a bit.... #-o

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
im prolly roadster on a diet currently, I would also add a "Drift Style" roadster as well as it seems more are popping up.

usually slammed with low offset wheels

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
You forgot beater; flat paint, dings, dents, cracked window, gaping roof holes, mixture of Korean/Chinese tyres, 1 service a year. Thats how many Roadsters are in the UK, and I note, many Miatas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
While each person's vision of their roadster is unique, I think most of them can be classified under styling genres.

the small flares may have originated here, but most of them seem to be bought out of state east or mideast, maybe 2 of 30 in cali are flared, but thats from just seeing from the meets.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I also wanna add on to that and say that SoCal style doesn't seem to be as much about the flares as it is about rolling/pulling the fenders (neccessary for the most part for low offset wheels)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I guess club racer, socal bitch? or the not represented drifter?

I think categories are for organizing, they dont really fit most enthusiasts. all they do is serve to separate.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I'm more of a "Club Racer" style, bare minimum in creature comforts, gutted to all hell, don't care much for paint finish (rattlecan FTW), stiff suspension and carry a big stick (no pun intended).
+1

1 - 20 of 45 Posts