ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it really important that a rollbar be mandrel bent? The local muffler shop, which does its fair share of rollcages, will make me one for $50, but I don't think he has a mandrel bender. Is this really important to the functionality of the bar or not?

·
3,857 Posts
I honestly can think of a way to get a roll bar for $50....doesn't make any sense!
Even the ebay style bars are more expensive!
Btw to answer your questions most of the roll bars I've seen have welds, so I wouldn't worry about that!

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friends dad works next door to the muffler shop so he said if i pay for materials hell do it....but i heard that the crimped bends aren't good for rollbars....

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
real rollbars are not just mandrel bent- they are DOM - ie. hot drawn over mandrel. That way there is supposedly less metal thin-out in the bent areas.

I would be seriously suspicious of a rollbar made by your Discount Speedee Mufflers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i was thinking about doing that too..but
do you honestly think exhaust pipes can hold your car over your head? NOPE..i can bend a long enough piece of exhaust pipe with my knee.. but it's up to you...i wanted a bar for show (maybe thats what your going for) but as my pace got very fast going touge i got kinda cautious so i bought a hard dog

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well...i don't PLAN on ever rolling...
my friend got one from the same guy for a '90 240 and it seemed sturdy...then again my 240lbs. vs. 2500lbs. of car are 2 different things...guess i'll just have to think it over....
but it appears the safety benefits of it are very small...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What you are suggesting he build is no more than a style bar. Rollbars provide real provide real roll over protection. Style bars make no claims of safety and are merely for style. Welded exhaust pipes over head seems a bit ghetto too.

If it were me, I would save my money for a real rollbar that has been engineered properly like a Hard Dog or Boss Frog.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
well Im normally all for homebrew stuff, but rollbars are one of the things that I prefer real pros to handle. unless its a hookup at a chassis/race shop that makes rollbars all the time, I'd pass, you would be safer with no bar than a bar that failed and mousetrapped your head off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
it's actually up to you dude...if you just want a style bar..GO FOR IT..but if you want something that will possibly save your life..then save some money for the expensive stuff...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts