ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple questions on an oft-repeated topic. Let me keep it short.

Two rollbars are in final consideration:
Boss Frog Clearview
Hard Dog Hard Core Double Diagonal

Three questions:
For the crew that runs Boss Frog, do you use a harness? And if so, do you wrap it around the bar as Boss Frog recommends? How do you like it?
For the crew that runs HD, do you guys ever use a harness? If so, did you guys weld a harness bar or get the bolt-in harness bar?

And finally:
Which one is thicker (i.e. diameter)?

A search came up with a lot of topics (many of which I've read already) but none hitting these exact questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love have my car fully prepped for track days by mid-Spring. =D>

Thanks!

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
from the research i did when i was shopping...

Bossfrog is very well built, but the overall height is not as good as the harddog.

I ended up going with a HD hardcore M1 with a single diagonal.

It has the weld in harness bar.

If you want you can come check it out, i still havent installed it, its sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from the research i did when i was shopping...

Bossfrog is very well built, but the overall height is not as good as the harddog.

I ended up going with a HD hardcore M1 with a single diagonal.

It has the weld in harness bar.

If you want you can come check it out, i still havent installed it, its sitting in my garage.
i may take you up on that. my parent's are in diamond bar and i go up there just about every other sunday. except i'm probably going up to SF this weekend. so maybe next weekend (if you're not going anywhere for MLK weekend). that's if i dont already order something by then. :)

thanks for the offer though! awesome gesture.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
My HDHC came with a harness bar. And yes, I've used it. For tracktime fun, it's a 6 point harness for me.

If memory serves, I believe the HDHCs are all 1.75" DOM tubing.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You don't say what year car you have... although it really doesn't matter unless you have a NA with a zipper glass window.

I have a Hard Dog M2 Hard Core. I have the harness wrapped around the factory (94-97) cross brace.

For "which one is thicker" do you mean the harness bar or the roll bar?

The Hard Core meets SCCA's requirement of 1.75" for the bar. I believe that the harness bar is the same size.

Remember when you mount the lap and crotch belts to use proper backing plates.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Laguna- Why did you get the M2 if you have a '94?

I have your exact car - 1994 Laguna Blue/Tan :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also have the M2 on my '92. I don't have a glass window, but I didn't want to lessen my options for the future.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Nope, the difference is where the rear supports attach.

There is a new Hard Dog bar, Tom calls it "The Ace."

The Ace, Hard Dog's response to popular demand for a traditional roll bar designed with more rearward placement for better head clearance that doesn't interfere with the stock seat belts.

http://www.bethania-garage.com/ace.htm

Pics snagged of their site...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HD owners, especially revlimiter:

do you have side latch issues with the hardtop? i have a HT and want to be able to run with it on and use the side latches too.

i think i'm going to do the HD Double Diagonal w/ harness bar.. but i also need to find a few more toys to get free shipping from Moss (on $600+ orders!)

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
the harddog hardcore will not allot the use of the side latches, you will need to use the bolt down ones.

the hardcore hardtop does allow for the side latches, but you lose overall height.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Oh yes. Side latch issues out my ass. It's a pain every winter.

3 winters ago, I just didn't use side latches. The top creaked a little, but no big deal.

2 winters ago, I also didn't use side latches. And I got bigtime paranoid about losing my hardtop on the freeway. No idea why.

1 winter ago, I devised a turnbuckle system to use in place of the side latches. They're just small Home Depot turnbuckles that attach to a bolt going through one hole on the car body and one of the screw holes on the hardtop. It's not as secure as say a Spec Miata solid plate, but I'd guess it's about as good as the factory latches.

I've emailed Hard Dog multiple times to try to get a set of their mythical special latches that work with the HC bars, but they've never replied. Not once.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
revlimiter:

thanks man! that pretty much seals the deal. I'm going HD also. really like your stripes, btw.

think you can take some pics of that turnbuckle? without googling, i'm dont even know what a turnbuckle is. :oops:

dicker - i'm definitely going with the hardtop version (i assume that's what you got, revlimiter?)

thanks again everyone! dang, what'd i do without you guys?! =D>

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
No, I have the non-hardtop version. HDHCDD. A buddy has the HDHCHTDD and it's really not noticably different than mine. It just sits back far enough to let him use the side latches with his hardtop and it makes me jealous.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd buy the M2 HDHCHT bar... probably with the DDs. The amount of time I use the shoulder harnesses, I'd be fine with harness tabs. I just really wish I could install an NB top with the glass window...

Stripes - thanks! I love my stripes.

Turnbuckle - mine are sooooooo hideously ugly. It's the worst thing I've made for my car. I keep waiting for those harddog latches, so I keep not making it pretty. Here's where I stole the idea. This guy did a much nicer job than I did. Last post in the thread. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=172693

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so.. just to be clear.. the M2 fits the NA miatas just fine? Moss Motors website lists the M2 as being for the NB. i've read quite a few NA members running M2 bar so i assume it mounts in just fine (w/o any more modifications/cutting than the M1 bar would require?)

thanks for that link.. i saved the pic to my computer just in case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts