1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
563 Posts
It does look like a hard dog hard bar but I wouldn't waste my time or money on something that flimsy. If you were to ever be in a situation that you needed a roll bar that thing would snap in half and rip your head off before you knew it.

Spend the extra bucks and buy a new one that is SCCA legal and it might actually save your life one day!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
actually you shouldnt get one that is scca legal unless you are going to race and have to have it... the difference is that the scca bars extend higher and further forward than the other ones, this is bad for a street car because guess what is further forward... thats right your head!! its not a big deal if your racing cause you will be wearing a helmet but if your dirving without one then your gonna run the risk of having a lump on your head

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm not racing it - maybe some autox on the weekends once in a blue moon but overall i just want it for the street, lots of idiot drivers out there i can't vouch for. plus it'll make my fiance complain less about sitting in it!

i'll post pics when it comes in.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
You should always ziptie foam to the area around your head on a rollbar anyway, so I wouldn't worry about an SCCA legal bar being unsafe in a street-driven car.

·
Registered
563 Posts
An SCCA legal bar won't be unsafe in a street car however mr2guy7 and arcana are right you will need to worry about puttin some padding on the bars. Either way I would rather have a bump on my head than not have a head at all.

But keep in mind a beauty bar and an actual roll bar are two different things. What is pictured above is a beauty bar. SCCA legal might not be the way to go for you but get something with some back bracing.

This is what I'm talking about

http://www.bethania-garage.com/default.htm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read about all the bars, I understand about the lateral braces, did my research.

I'm fine w/ my current style bar now. When it comes in i'll take more pics of it, I like the way it looks. I'm not expecting to go flipping the car over, neither do i race so padding will be there forsure.

thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
true true,

But the type of driving i did in the canyons of malibu vs what i do here on the streets on ny are totally different, but you have stated your point.

The bar came in yesterday, I'll take pics and share.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
that's not a hard bar. i installed on in my wife's '99. the hard bad connects onto the unitbody further down near the parcel shelf waterfall and extends almost all the way down to the floor. that one looks like a modified racing beat type 1 style car and appears to connect on the shoulder belt anchors.

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
that's not a hard bar. i installed on in my wife's '99. the hard bad connects onto the unitbody further down near the parcel shelf waterfall and extends almost all the way down to the floor. that one looks like a modified racing beat type 1 style car and appears to connect on the shoulder belt anchors.
x2. a hard bar isnt like that, it is still a quality piece. and mounts much nicer.

at first I thought it was a racing beat, but its not that either, the racing beat isnt as round. I think its homebuilt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok everyone wins cept me

it came in as a style bar, but it mounts exactly like the ones you find in the road&ster magazines, nothing like the racing beat, frenzy, or moss.

the guy either didn't know what he was talking about or i was just too excited not to jump on it. either way i have it now.

I'll put it on my car see how i feel - i currently have the moss bar in black on a black 95 but i think i'll sell all my bars and just leave it with the stock brace.

thanks guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts