ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK since I'm one of the newbies I'll copy what I put as my into on the new guy page just to help set up who I am and where rooster went:
"Hello, I am new to this, have read a lot on this site and others but have never posted, (I can't type worth a crap). I am 62 and bought my 1st Miata (Mariner Blue) in 1991, and a week later my wife and I took a driving vacation thru the Smokies and mountains of No. Carolina, we were some of the first people to meet other miatas on the Blue Ridge Parkway. always thought that was really cool. An older lady that I worked with named the car Jellybean. Over the past 20 plus years we have taken Jellybean all over the country and enjoyed every moment, but we never joined a car club ( until last year), did all this traveling on our own or with another couple. Last year we finally let Jellybean go and traded for a 2003 Emerald Green Mica LS model with very low miles, but it was an automatic, so my wife could drive it. So after a few months I started prowling the various sites, along with Craigslist and eBay looking for a 5 or 6 speed NA model, but I wanted something special and unique, and I wanted one that had low miles that I could take out on weekends and keep for a good long while. Anyway I just bought another, (my 3rd miata) and it seems to be semi-famous to some of you guys, and in a way I guess I rescued it from being parted out. Yes I am the proud owner of Steve's Rooster. And I want to thank him for all the care and work he put into this beauty."

Rooster arrives at his new home.

Now to continue with Rooster's new story. On the trip home from Fort Worth, TX to Nashville, TN. I kept scraping dips in the pavement on the interstate, and the ramps just before a bridge, plus any speed bumps leading into places to eat along the way home. After I drove Rooster home, I forgot about the drop-off from my street into my drive, I hit bottom here to, plus when out on the country roads you never know when you will wind up on a dirt or gravel road, or need to drive up onto a shoulder, or curb, I also realized my 62 year old bones could not keep bending to sit as low as Rooster was set. So I looked into finding a shop that was good at working on suspensions, lifts, coilovers, wheels and tires and could also handle any tweeking that Rooster might need. I settled on Brian’s Motorsports, Hendersonville, TN,

Brian's Motorsports in Hendersonville, TN

these guys have a good rep, they were known for bending over backwards to get a job done the way you want it, even if it is out of the box thinking. They also take pride in their work, lots of pix of cars and trucks showing their quality work on their facebook page. So Rooster went into the shop to be raised, but I didn’t want to loose the look with the big tires and nice wheels, so we raised him and lowered him back and forth, it wound up being 2 and 3/8 inches higher than he was, that’s not to bad is it?

One of the tech's working on raising Rooster.
Also had to get Rooster re-aligned, when you raise or lower a car it has to be aligned again.
I also added a 2nd horn, remember the Rodney Dangerfield movie Caddyshack, he had a red Rolls Convertible with a special horn that I have been trying to find for 2-3 years now, well I found one and I had it installed on Rooster, well some folks may think it’s cheesy, but the kids at the shop wanted to know where to get one, they liked it. They next thing I thought of is to take a set of locking lugs that Alex gave me and have Brian’s powder-coat them the same shade of red as the Eunos stripe. I had also wanted to get a chrome gas door and powder-coat it red to, but Chris, the guy that took care of Rooster while at Brian’s Motorsports, said the red lugs would work because the lugs would be on the same line as the stripe so it went together well, but he talked me out of doing the gas door, it should stay chrome, it went with the mirrors, hardtop latches, etc. They are supposed to be ready next week, so when Brian's call me I'll go get them and post more stuff here.

·
ToyotaCare........
4,534 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about Brian's. They also sponsored a couple circle track cars that run at my local track. I was kinda nervous reading that it was raised 2+ inches but it really don't look that bad. If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge for an alignment? I have new suspension parts coming in as we speak along with wheels and tires so before the end of the month, I will need an alignment as well.

P.S. I will be at Piccadillys this afternoon to see this marvelous car but I'd put my eta around 5:30. So excited to see this car.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard a lot of good things about Brian's. They also sponsored a couple circle track cars that run at my local track. I was kinda nervous reading that it was raised 2+ inches but it really don't look that bad. If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge for an alignment? I have new suspension parts coming in as we speak along with wheels and tires so before the end of the month, I will need an alignment as well.

P.S. I will be at Piccadillys this afternoon to see this marvelous car but I'd put my eta around 5:30. So excited to see this car.
They charged $60.00, but on the ticket they also have $30 for shop supplies, they did use some spray paint for the re-painting of the brakes and wire for the horn so not sure if part of that went toward alignment? Do you have a email address, (my 91 year) dad has been sick and is doing a lot better so I am still planning on being at tonight's meeting but in case something does come up i'd like to let you know.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Glad you don't plan to part it, but your styling/color choices have me a bit concerned. It might be worth giving Steve a call so you understand the motivation and history behind those choices and why they are so significant. This is a 'famous' car for a reason, and the reason is largely that those parts are exactly the way they are. Having maroon runabout mirrors to match a stripe is akin to painting Rolls Royse wheels to match your turquoise tie; there might be some.logic to it, but that doesn't mean it isn't tacky.

With that said, I don't believe the car shouldn't change to suit your needs, just realize that you have a very revered car there. People won't be so understanding if you start cheesin' it up.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Oh sweet, this thing's going to MATG? Should be pretty awesome!

I also don't blame you for raising it up, that's the ride height I have mine set at.
All 4 tires had rub rings even with the rolled fenders, and they were rolled good.

Nice Ride!! Can't wait to see it at the Dragon :)
Dragon for this year is still not a set thing as yet.

Oh sweet, this thing's going to MATG? Should be pretty awesome!

I also don't blame you for raising it up, that's the ride height I have mine set at.
Also Dragon for this year is still not a set thing as yet, but i really do want to be there, never have as yet, seen lots of post, pix and youtube videos.

: 3gears:enjoy it!
Thanks, I intend to. It is a sweet ride.

mod edit: multiquote, please use it. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you don't plan to part it, but your styling/color choices have me a bit concerned. It might be worth giving Steve a call so you understand the motivation and history behind those choices and why they are so significant. This is a 'famous' car for a reason, and the reason is largely that those parts are exactly the way they are. Having maroon runabout mirrors to match a stripe is akin to painting Rolls Royse wheels to match your turquoise tie; there might be some.logic to it, but that doesn't mean it isn't tacky.

With that said, I don't believe the car shouldn't change to suit your needs, just realize that you have a very revered car there. People won't be so understanding if you start cheesin' it up.
I understand where you are coming from, but you got some of what I said mixed up, I said: ' I had also wanted to get a chrome gas door and powder-coat it red to, but Chris, the guy that took care of Rooster while at Brian’s Motorsports, said the red lugs would work because the lugs would be on the same line as the stripe so it went together well, but he talked me out of doing the gas door, it should stay chrome, it went with the mirrors, hardtop latches, etc.' So Chris talked me out of it. And I did talk to Steve and he said he did have red lugs on the car at one time and tried them but they looked awful, and said personally he would not use them. So I guess I'll be selling a set of red lugs. Steve also said to look into changing the gas and trunk levers to pull straps and he thought you had done this and might have pix?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Ah, I did confuse what you'd said.

Lemme dig around...

Yup; I don't have many pics of this mod, but here's a pretty good one:

I still have the pulls on, but I'll be relocating them. As for now, they're tucked under the console delete structure. Here's what my interior looks like as of today:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, I did confuse what you'd said.

Lemme dig around...

Yup; I don't have many pics of this mod, but here's a pretty good one:

I still have the pulls on, but I'll be relocating them. As for now, they're tucked under the console delete structure. Here's what my interior looks like as of today:

OK, they look good, so how did you replace the switches?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Ah, being an avionics guy, when you wrote "switches" I defaulted to electrical bits (and I have several custom electrical switches installed). The releases are nothing more than a bicycle brake lever or shifter assembly. Remove the console and you'll see how it all works immediately. Just buy some sort of webbing from the local fabric or home improvement shop, some grommets, and some sort of device to use as a capture knob to keep your webbing fixed and you're ready to go.

I would recommend making some sort of a block to fix the pulls I'm place though. They will wind up tearing the carpet if repeatedly pulled in the wrong direction, which your friends, family, and every single stranger who notices them will do.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

Here is another example, I borrowed MC70's idea. :) I have nothing holding them in place and as long as you just pull straight forward, no problems! I may get mine remade but wanted something cheap to give me an idea of how it turns out so just had some personalized key chains made and purchased off eBay. :icon_cheers:

Welcome! Hope you take care of Rooster, its a beauty! No doubt you will enjoy!

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.