ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that I carry ROTA Wheels & I wanted to share how they perform. The weight of the 15x8 RB's is 16.2 pounds which is heavy compared to your more expensive wheels from Japan. I did my first SCCA solo trials event at Gainesville Raceway and am pleased at the way the wheels felt with the 225/50/50 Hankook Tires. In the morning I set the tire pressure at 40 PSI on all 4 and spun out on my first run going off of the track. In the morning session I was over 1.6 seconds off of the lead. Then in the afternoon I adjusted just my tire pressure to 36 Front and 32 Rear. I improved to 59.497 (2nd Place) and the leader is at 59.204. Tomorrow we will go at it again. The wheels did not feel heavy at anytime. I have used much lighter 13x8.5 (9 lbs.)Panasports on the same track and I am not so sure that wheels that weigh less would be that much faster. These are my first Hankook tires and they felt good. I hope to have info. on all of the other Miata competitors wheels and tomorrow I will take some pics.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Attached is some pictures with the 15x8's.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Aye Jimmy,

I know this is off topic. But we(MSCC) are running at G-Ville on April 7th. If you want to get some more runs in. You can reg at myautoevents.com

Pat

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aye Jimmy,

I know this is off topic. But we(MSCC) are running at G-Ville on April 7th. If you want to get some more runs in. You can reg at myautoevents.com

Pat
I'll miss this event but maybe next year. I got my start with MSCC. Thanks for letting me know.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those tires are huge. Do they rub anywhere? Did you take out the fender liners?
I had rubbing on the LF and had to trim it slightly. Attached pic shows where I taped it just to be safe. keep in mind that my caster is agressive for straight line stability and I believe that is why it is rubbing. Fender liners are trimmed per SCCA CSP rules so I have no rubbing. Also my fenders are trimmed/not rolled back so that my previous 13x9's would clear.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres the LR with no issues and the wheels tires are tucked in nice.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
The weight of the 15x8 RB's is 16.2 pounds which is heavy compared to your more expensive wheels from Japan. The wheels did not feel heavy at anytime. I have used much lighter 13x8.5 (9 lbs.)Panasports on the same track and I am not so sure that wheels that weigh less would be that much faster.
Jimmy, I would most definitely advise that you not say that on M.net, or you will cause one heck of an uproar....lol
Btw, what is the weight of the Hankooks and RBs?
I'm looking into some 16x8 Rota Grids for the 240sx (redrilled ofcourse) for my daily wheels, but I would still like to know how they feel versus much lighter 14" stockers.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good Jimmy. I guess those are the closeout Hankook Z211s. How do you like them?
Thomas-those are the closeout tires and I got them from Frisby's and you can find their info. on the back pages of the latest Sportscar. The tires are awesome and I did not shave them since it was my first Hi speed event. I know that you are familiar with Gainesville and next year I will also have a set of 13" autox tires to see which is faster. I think Gainesville favors the LCG 13"'s but when I go to Sebring & Moroso the 15's will be better. No doubt you would have hit 57's & possibly a 56.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good to hear you like the Z211s. They're a killer price on closeout and I hear they last forever.

I think you're right about the 13's being a little quicker at GIR. It's a pretty tight course.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's unacceptably heavy. My 6ULs are 15x8 and weigh 12.8lbs. Mabye if you were turbo/big NA build and you had to have the Panasport look, but that's 4.5lbs per corner, and I doubt the Rotas are that much less expensive than the 6ULs.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's unacceptably heavy. My 6ULs are 15x8 and weigh 12.8lbs. Mabye if you were turbo/big NA build and you had to have the Panasport look, but that's 4.5lbs per corner, and I doubt the Rotas are that much less expensive than the 6ULs.
I would have to totally disagree. My car is proof that the 16.2 pound ROTA is not unacceptable. Only 3.4 lb. per corner does not make enough of a difference. I would like to add from experience that coming off of tight turns the acceleration is there with only 154 RWHP Naturally Aspirated. Whether I am on my 9.3 lb. RPF-1 or Panasport 9 lb. wheel I couldn't tell that the wheels were heavier because of the way it felt during acceleration,braking & cornering. The 6UL is an awesome wheel for the price but I would not discredit the ROTA's. I hope to be very competitve with this wheel.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
369 Posts
Remember that the price of the 6ULs have gone up quite a bit since we preordered ours.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts