ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after i removed the intake manifold and replaced a couple coolant lines and put everything back together, the car runs, albeit a bit rough only when idling. i also think that its possibly running rich because sometimes on the first startup of the day, the exhaust smells of fuel and it will even smoke a little bit for a couple of seconds. the exhaust even pops and burbles more than it normally does...i think. either that or im able to hear it a lot better when the top is down.

ive checked all of the bolts/nuts and they seem to be all on tightly. ive also skimmed over the vacuum lines in that area and i cant seem to find anything. there is a hissing sound coming from the area between the intake manifold and head by the fuel rail. its loudest in the center. im not sure if thats normal or not. none of the injectors are leaking from what i can tell. idle speed and timing are all set correctly.

any ideas on what the problem could be? id like to get my car idling smoothly again. any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had this problem on my Pontiac and it was bad spark plug wires and bad spark plugs. I also replaced the oxygen sensor. Not too sure about Miata's but that's what went wrong with mine. I would check the plugs first, at least give you a starting point. Mine was idling very rough and was running very rich, even had the popping exhaust when I gave it alot of gas. But it also made driving rough at certain speeds also. But at least it's a start...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im hoping there arent. all of the bolts on it are tightened down pretty well. ill look it over again tomorrow and ill also check the plugs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just looked at it, and it looks like my number 3 injector has a small leak up at the top where it attaches to the fuel rail. is there anything special i need to do when installing the o-rings on the injectors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i fixed the leaky injector, but i dont think that helped much. i also checked the plugs and the #3 plug was a little black but nothing else, while the others were a grey-ish. could that plug be causing any of this?

·
Registered
459 Posts
i think you might have just found the problem that you've caused.

when you remove the manifold or just the fuel rail for some cleaning...its extremely hard to line up the injectors and its seals to sit perfectly...especially when they have hardend.

use lube on all injector seals when installing... but i bet a few are cut already. i had them ordered for safety... and i did cut them up bad...they're a bitch when you take off things from the intake side for cleaning.

the seals are ~$12... a good idea to steam clean with high pressure hose first to clear all dirt and debris the next time around for me.

i'd check again to make sure. =)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the injectors arent leaking anymore, but now on the first start-up of the day or just if the car has been sitting for a while, itll start up just fine, but then die. if i hold the the gas pedal for a little while, itll act a little better and wont die, but still idles rough.

what are the chances that there might be something between the manifold/head and the gasket? it was only off over night until i got the parts the next day.

is there a better chance that one of the vacuum lines is just fudged up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts