ClubRoadster.net banner

Round 11: Test your RJDM Knowledge

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  CE28N 
#1 ·
It's round 11, right? OK- the usual caveats apply- the know-it-alls (You know who you are!!!) please hang back :):)

1. In modular wheel parlance,what is a 'reverse' rim?

2. For extra credit, what is a 'Full reverse' rim?

#4 ·
Even I have trouble with this. Measurements I can understand. But using enigmatic terminology to describe whether or not the wheels might actually fit my particular application confuses me.
I managed to stump Kyle!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: didn't think that would happen!!!!

And Boogie-van: It doesn't have anything to do with negative offsets.

#8 ·
So I've spent the last half hour on the 'net trying to figure this out. Here's what I've found out:

Not. ****.

Looking at pictures of SSR Formula Mesh and SSR Reverse Mesh next to each other, they look identical except for the colors (which could be just the particular pics they had on this website)

I'd be glad if someone could explain this one :?

#9 ·
If you look at one section of mesh, think of a triangle.

On the BBS wheel, the "triangle" points toward the center of the wheel with the legs angling out toward the rim of the wheel.

On the SSR, this is "reversed" where the triangle points toward the rim of the wheel, or even touching the edge of the "mesh" as is the case above.

"Full reverse" I don't know...

Am I right?

Btw, I WANT THOSE RS-1s!!!!

#10 ·

On the BBS wheel, the "triangle" points toward the center of the wheel with the legs angling out toward the rim of the wheel.

On the SSR, this is "reversed" where the triangle points toward the rim of the wheel, or even touching the edge of the "mesh" as is the case above.
I had to think hard to envision what you're sayiing ;);).... but no. The 'reverse' thing is not at all specific to mesh rims. It could apply modular rims of almost any designs. Even though the SSR Formula Mesh/SSR Reverse Mesh are probably the most well-known and popular examples of it.

Anyone else?

#14 ·
Centre Hub section is flipped 180 degrees, so the wheel mounts inside out. Common on old grass autocrossing Minis, on cars with drum brakes, to give more offset. Not really JDm question this. You can also get reverse rim steel wheels. Essentially wheels usually give more width bias to the inside. Reverse rims give more bias to the outside; its origianlly done to overcome odd clearance problems, but hotrodders like it to give a wide look *they sed to cut the centree out, flip it over, and weld back in). I guess "full reverse rim" refers to the degree of offset/bias used.

#15 ·
Alright- Roadsternut comes the closest to being correct. I'll reveal the answer then:

Traditionally most JDM 3 piece rims are made such that the outter rim has a step rolled into it for strength. The inner rim has no step (for caliper clearance) and is smooth all the way from the lip to the mounting flange.

For the reverse rim, the smooth inner rim is used on the outside as well. Such that when you look at the rim from the outside- it is smooth from the lip all the way to the wheel center.

The full reverse wheel is a further evoluton of the reverse wheel. In the reverse wheel, since they are still using the components from the original traditional wheel, there is still a gap between the edge of the wheel center and the unstepped rim. The full reverse wheel has a larger wheel center which is flushed with the rim. No more unsightly gap.

Attachments

#16 ·
As I said, it appears to have first appeared on Mini Coopers; to enable drum braked cars to get wider wheels. The original reverse rim wheels were made by Dunlop. It was developed very much with a practical benefit in mind, not aesthetics, and not confined to bolt together wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.