ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was hoping that some of you can help me out with a few questions I have.

1. I am wondering how loud the RSR EXMAG II exhaust is with and without the silencer in.

2. What is is the sound/tone like at idle, cruising, WOT, etc.

3. Does it drone on the highway?

4. Does the system affect throttle response?

5. Do you lose any low end and or gain any high end power? If so how noticable?

Thanks everyone in advance, everyones inputs are greatly appreciated and are ultimately the determining factor in purchasing this exhaust.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i have not got one yet, but am looking everywere for one. they are on MAJOR backorder. but from what iv herd there not bad, i will be running mine w/ a test pipe when i get it. i dont like quite preformance exhausts, if its made to be quite thats another thing. sorry that did not help a bit. :?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The exahuast note is perfect for my taste. Also have heard it on 4 cars with different set ups.

Turbo w/ silencer(practically silent)

Stock header w/ silencer(not loud at all)

JR Header w/silencer(mine, loud, but I love it)

RB header and FM test pipe w/silencer(awesome sound, pretty much perfect)

Only problem I have with it is it hangs too low.

The 1.6 engine has a great sound and the RS*R really "emphasizes" it. If you can find one grab it.

-Paul

·
Registered
97 Posts
was curious, the rsr site, says for the 1.6L 90-94, but was wondering if it will fit a 1.8 also? as i now some companies (ie, goodwin, racing beat, etc) have them from 90-97

any fitment problems? or it will work?

·
Registered
441 Posts
What is a test pipe?

·
Registered
200 Posts
they actually just talked about that in the 'what exhaust are you running?' thread. The thread right above this one right now. it's on the third page. the exhaust should bolt right up but if i read correctly you may have to have the 02 bung welded in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i had that problem too with the roadster sport, the pipe kept hitting the bar that bolts between the rear subframe, i got the stiffer exhaust hangers from moss, they helped alot, you can try that, not necessarily from moss, just stiffer hangers

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
What is a test pipe?

Basically a hollow high flow cat. There are no honeycomb structures inside which provides a bit more flow. Also, at the same time you wont pass inspections depending on where you live.
I've also seen "test pipe" to refer to a straight pipe after the turbo/headers with no muffler or anything else. Bascially a test pipe with the bends of the "to be completed" exhaust, but it usually never goes past the testing process.. "Yeah, officer, I'll put a muffer on it next week!"

·
4,436 Posts
For you guys who are having exhaust hanging problems - there is a science to this. A couple things to keep in mind on when installing an aftermarket exhaust to prevent interference issues with your subframe/bracing/PPF, etc. This is assuming you are installing an aftermarket exuast that is a bolt up application (non weld install).

1) Make sure to install your exhaust initially in a loose format so that aadjustments can be made - especially at the cat and can. Keep all nuts loose and only hang with rubber hangers that need to be used. Do not hang with all rubber hangers initially.

2) It is better to have a helper hold the exhaust tip centered and at the location you desier as you tighten things down.

3) When tightening things up - always tighten the 2 nuts at the cat and at the can (in this case an NA version) and do it equally on each side - so that the distribution is equal. In this way, you keep things straight and and the exhaust will not 'torque' to one side if you tighten only the left bolt until tight - then the right.

4) If you need some adiditonal adjustments - you can use some small fuel tubing and small hose clamps (sccrew type) to force over one (or two) of the rubber hangers to get the exhaust to pull in the direction you need. This is a method that is a force method and not recommended as heat will usually soften things up and will go back to the original location.

A couple things to note. First, if you have a good exhaust system, it should hang correctly. It should not bump into your sub frame or burn your opening in your bumper because the tip is touching. This is an indication that your car is tweaked from an accident or the exhaust was not jigged correctly. Second, aftermarket bracing may not be compatible with an exhaiust that hangs perfectly straight. Like my Beatrush PPF brace is *extremely* close to my Zoom exhaust. At one point I put the large rubber block that Zoom provides to prevent the banging that this exhaust tends to do with aftermarketing bracing - but after 5,000 miles, the rubber block was chewed away and fell apart.

Anyway, this is a science and I can only tell you what I have been through with the exhausts that I installed over the past 5 or so years - including my Thermal exhaust and now my Zoom exhaust.

I love installing them - I just reallized that cheap exhausts tend to give you some headaches.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Great write up Peter. One other method to adjust or tighten rubber exhaust hangers is to use a zip tie between the chassis mount and exhaust mount to squeeze the waist in and pull the exhaust up a bit.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I just got some NISMO hangers form work today(FREE)... Ill tell you how it hangs with those up there when I get around to install.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have the RSR with the RB 4-1 and fm testpipe, it's just still not that loud to me. Can barely hear it on the freeway. Granted I still have the silencer in there. I have removed the silencer in the past, and that was too loud for me. Sounded real good on the freeway thoguh. To remove the silencer, take it to a muffler shop to have tip heat up with a torch and pull it out. Or use a long hook, hook the silencer, and bang with a hammer to pull it out.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
my understanding is a test pipe is a straight pipe that bolts in place of a cat. A dummy cat is a test pipe that looks like a cat

kevin

1 - 20 of 91 Posts