ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Fellas...

This is my first post. Have been reading for awhile now, but have never had a reason to ask anything until now.

I just received a set of RS Watanabe Eightspoke B14x6.5 offset 14.5mm, bought them direct from Japan. Excitedly, I fitted a brand new set of Yoko AD07s and rushed home to install them on my 94 NA8C.

Alas, it was not to be as the spokes can't clear the brake calipers.

I've since spent a lot of time online trying to find out how they work it out over in Japan, since this size is very very popular. Even the RS Watanabe website mentions that some "special work" is required to fit.

I mean, in reality it's not too much of a problem to get some spacers made up to provide clearance, but this would further increase the effective wheel offset, which it pretty way out as it is.

Does anyone here know how they solve this problem in Japan? I'd be grateful for the advice.

Thanks.

/adian

·
4,436 Posts
Welcome to the forum - I spoke to the Wataanabe team not lonng ago wbout this issue when I was considering a set like yours and because of the upgraded calipers on the 1.8, there are some tight issues.

With that being said, when you ordered your watanabes you should have asked them (ir you got them from Watanabe direct) to modify the ID a bit to accomodate your OE calipers.

The other way to do this is to have your OE calipers grinded down so that the wheels clear. This does sound a bit hodge-podgy, BUT they do this quite a bit in Japan. I am not sure how much to grind, but you should be able to do it without too much investment.

I would email your contact from Japan and have them call Watanbe for some helpful tips on this before you start.

Nice wheels BTW! You sure didn't skimp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bluepotato..

Thanks bro. Finally, an answer!!!!

Yup, the wheels clear the rear brake caliper, but foul the fronts. No, I did not buy them direct from RS Watanabe, in fact I got them off the yahoo japan's auctions website. It was fit on an NA6C previously, i guess that's answers half the questions. But, the quality of the wheels, even tho 2ndhand, is amazing!! If I didn't know any better, i would've sworn they were brand new!! And yes, the wheels are absolutely da bomb!

I have tried fitting 5mm spacers on the front, but it still scrapes. So, i think a combination of machining the wheel as well as the caliper will be required. It's not so much the actual caliper itself, but this "bracket" thing which I believe must be there for strengthening of the calipers to avoid pad knock-off as well as warping of the calipers during hard braking.

Ok, will get the machining done over the next week or so, and will post an update on whether it all works out ok for future reference of other forumers.

/adian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually when I was hunting for wheels online, I came across some Longchamp XR4s 14x7 offset 12 pcd 100... those would've been beautiful, perfect for the Miata! THe seller only had a pair tho, but still the closing price ended up in regions of Yen80,000... much more than I had to spend on just 2 wheels!!!

Check out the picture, I've kept it till today.. something to fantasize about :D

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Actually when I was hunting for wheels online, I came across some Longchamp XR4s 14x7 offset 12 pcd 100... those would've been beautiful, perfect for the Miata! THe seller only had a pair tho, but still the closing price ended up in regions of Yen80,000... much more than I had to spend on just 2 wheels!!!

Check out the picture, I've kept it till today.. something to fantasize about :D
Hurm... Longchamps? Those look suprisingly like... SSR MKIIIs.

and the label inside it....

From a current Yahoo Japan Auction btw. just use http://ocn.amikai.com/amiweb/browser.jsp?url=http://www.yahoo.co.jp&display=2&langpair=2,1&c_id=ocn&lang=JA&toolbar=yes
and goto Auctions, and search SSR 100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts