ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 930 Posts

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
It’s unbelievable how much Range Rovers depreciate. Just saw a Rover Velar P380 with 18k miles for $45k. That’s like $2 per mile driven.
Give it another few years and it'll be half that. Then look at used Jaguars or Mercedes...es. Or for a truly insane depreciation hit, a Maserati.

Bryan: spark blowout is when the density of the air molecules in the cylinder is sufficient to prevent the coils from being able to create a spark across the electrode gap. The resistance of the air becomes greater than the ability of the electricity to overcome it. So you can gap your plugs down, or get stronger coils. My plugs can't really be gapped down any further. I need more electrons.

Concealer: Yes, those are the coils I was thinking of. I feel like I just need two and can run them in batch fire mode.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
I'm really hoping to make it to Chasing the Dragon this year. The car is legal already, as is, as far as I can tell. It's mostly about getting the time to make the drive.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
Actually DP unless he has a wing or is boosted. Not that it makes a whole hell of a lot of difference. The DP cars out there are crazy well developed.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
Did they change allowances for bracing for DP and i wasn't aware? (Entirely likely. Am asking.)
DP has always allowed bracing.

17.2 Section B says:
"B. Chassis, frame, or subframe may be reinforced provided components and attachments are not relocated except where specifically permitted.
Reinforcing does not authorize the use of underbody or belly pans forward of the firewall or aft of the front edge of the rear wheel opening.
It is permitted to have jack points recessed into the rocker panels or to have one tube per side extending downward through the bottom of the door provided they do not extend beyond the overall width of the car or in an unsafe or dangerous manner. No part of the bodywork or chassis, to the rear of the front wheel opening, shall touch the ground when both tires on the same side of the car are deflated."

Components and attachments means suspension and engine mounting points.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
See pictures of my car for a NB with a wing. If it is the right size then it isn't over the top.
If by the right size you mean too small to produce useful downforce then yes, definitely :cool:

I think if a wing is functional and the car is using the downforce to win events, there's not really an upper bound to the appropriate size of the wing. I could definitely use more wing area.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
I know bracing is allowed... i thought there was something specifically about how the frame rails boxed something or provided two planes of support that were illegal. That might be for SM rules though. Danke for clarification. :)

Either way: Hard meh.
That sounds EXACTLY like a spec Miata rule. Prepared is actually fairly wide open, except for aero. So, in other words, expensive.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
Exposing someone to your bodily fluids is assault in pretty much every state in the US. As it should be. So, spitting on someone or licking them could carry more of a charge than hitting them in the face.

There's a lot of whining going on in here. You guys are a sturdy bunch. Did everyone just gloss over Bryan saying he refuses to learn how to manually focus??

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
I've noticed that I take off my wedding ring whenever I get divorced.

Nice work on the interview James. Hopefully they are one of the places that moves quickly.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
Please keep that dog Jake. Those ribs shouldn't be visible. Seeing that poor thing is making me sadface.

Jenn, maybe if your coworker wasn't snacking on Twix she wouldn't have to complain about her weight? I dunno, there are tons of sugary snacks around the office and it's really frustrating. The founders seem to think it's a good idea to have all this sugar just lying around. We have been able to get some healthier stuff, but it gets eaten right away and the only stuff left is sugar.

Next week I'm going to interview at a bunch of places. Trying to decide if I should bother with Facebook or not. On the upside... money? On the downside... working at Facebook.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
Henry, have you worked with anyone who has attended any of these various developer bootcamps? I'm trying to get an idea of actual real-world results of the courses. They all have alumni reviews on their websites that seem OK and all boast that they have placed alumni in legitimate organizatioms but that could be cherry picking people who would have achieved that on their own.
Which boot camp are you looking at? A couple of my coworkers went to a six month course at a local place called CodeFellows. It seems like it's just barely enough for them to get a basic working knowledge of coding. That seems like the minimum you can get away with that's actually useful. Other people I've talked to didn't think they learned much at the place they went (Ada Academy), but it's not really a boot camp.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
Sugary drinks are just so bad. I worked with a couple people who would kill a case of diet Cokes in a week between them. I was convinced it was doing bad things to them but since it says zero calories on the side of the can I couldn't make any headway.

My vice is beer, but this year I'm getting swole so I need to cut back.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
If I wore any of the things you just mentioned I'd get fired.

However, good call on the pup. Honestly doesn't look quite 15 to me, maybe there's some exaggeration in there. Congratulations, a pittie is the best thing in the world.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
You work in a suit and tie sort of place?

Dude on the left is sort of what I'm aiming for, but with more useful shoes. I'd have to lift a lot of weights to look like that though.
I don't think I could ever slim down to that kind of size again.

No, what's the opposite of a suit and tie? If I were to show up for an interview wearing anything other than a swag hoodie from a failed tech startup, and some t-shirt with a nerdy joke on it, I would get mad side eye and have to work extra hard not to get laughed out of the room.

I dress like an extra from Silicon Valley because for all intents and purposes that is my life. I will say that blipshift shirts are a huge hit in interviews.

Sometimes I dress up but it would only be for a company junket.

·
1000% Jake
5,266 Posts
Archer is still good, you're just not taking enough drugs. Get with it. All that whining is making you look like a millennial.

Zacc: I actually believe that a shorter course might be more useful than a longer one. Here's my thinking. I learned the basic fundamentals of coding when I was in highschool, in a 50 minute long class that ran for a semester. I think if you do math that can't be more than 150 hours of classwork. Probably much less. I learned how to write functions, loops, structure a program and basic data structures. If you can't get the hang of it in that time frame, a longer course isn't going to change that. Everything else I've learned on the job. I have taken college courses in a CS curriculum and the only one that I learned from was a compilers course where we had to write a compiler. That was hard and not something I would do unless I had to.

I feel like a longer course is a huge investment that might not pay off. If you have a future in software you'll know it within a few months of hard work.

Honestly I don't think any of these courses offer value for money. You can teach yourself all of the things they teach you.

But... Do you have the motivation? Or do you need to pay out money to motivate yourself?

You know you can take any course at MIT for free, right? Look at MIT courseware.

1 - 20 of 930 Posts