ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 1969 Posts

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Wow, I somehow missed all of the four first pages of this. Busy day at work, been running cables which isn't my typical workload. Nice departure from the norm but not something I want to spend much more time doing. It's 61 and sunny here but I am stuck at work. Supposed to snow over the weekend. FML.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Ugh. This guy at work ends every email with “Talk to you later...” and it drives me fucking nuts. I didn’t talk to you now. I don’t want or need to talk to you later. **** off.
This is a real big mood.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
You bought a garage?

An old ducati is the most you thing ever, while also being very uncharacteristic of you at the same time.
I did.

Most me thing ever because unreliable and most uncharacteristic because it isn't a broken pile of garbage?

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Previous owner did all the maintenance. Told me the status of the valves, timing belt is good, new fork seals, fuel pump and filter, etc.

The turn signal switch was busted so I replaced that last night which involved a hilarious amount of disassembly and the flasher module was seized internally from not being used.

Noticed it wasnt charging the battery very well and the most likely culprit (main stator connector) has already been fixed. Found corrosion on the main 30a fuse but didn't have a chance to check the voltage again after cleaning that up. Battery tested good for the full 175CCA.

But hey, I have a shop with heat and AC to work in so it's pretty awesome. Going to get the Sportcross on jacks this weekend and take a look at what I hope is a trashed sway bar end link.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Jake... quit being a **** and tell us about the garage.
I mean, whatcha wanna know? Sealed epoxy floor, insulated, AC, LED lighting, old door opener that doesn't have a remote but will probably never die. Still has some random crap left in it since this property was a rental before I bought it. Wood chipper (will probably come in handy tbh), random 55 gallon drum, some hay.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
I bought a house and am moving during the coolest month of the year. Obviously brain cells are in short supply.

Actually supposed to snow this weekend. I hate everything.

Ask better questions. Idk what you guys wanna know. I own a dwelling in Wichita. A few raises lately made the budget work out heavily in favor of homeownership and I bought the place from a friend for less than the bank appraisal with a very favorable inspection. Not to say it's flawless but what it needs is well within my skillset and will add massive curb appeal (siding, some random bits of flashing and trim here and there, weirdly overgrown shrubbery on some parts of the property).

Dog has a yard to run around in finally, we have a 1 car attached garage and this shop, an unfinished basement that will probably just be storage, a hilariously oversized HVAC unit for whatever reason, and pilings in the ground ready for me to build a carport if I so wish (I doooooooo).

Should be fun. I'm super excited to buy new door handles and light fixtures.

Master bedroom has one wall that is entirely built-in storage which my wife loves.

Had some appliances already. We finally own a dishwasher. The kitchen is a German layout with the washer and dryer hookups in it which is honestly not something I've ever seen in person.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
I'm affected by 31 degrees and precipitation while I'm trying to move. This timing was poor. On the plus side my boss is loaning me use of his Suburban and enclosed trailer, so I can take a few days to get it done. Going to pick up the wife's Rebel 250 from the MILs house where it appears to have been attacked by some sort of animal. Oh, well. Will add to the "abandoned in a field" restoration story for Youtube.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
\From a certain perspective there is nothing better than displacement, if you don't get that then you aren't truly a gearhead (expecting to hear protestation to the contrary from you, whatever).
Displacement is fun for noises and sensory overload and good vibrations. Electric is objectively a better performer for anything south of top fuel dragsters. Gatekeeping is stupid.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Because automotive youtube is a hopeless battle of having to constantly 1up yourself and others with increasingly absurd projects like this Rolls Royce LS6 swap in order to stay relevant.

I can't fully express how much I miss 2010-era YouTube. I miss getting lost in the recommended videos list when it was called "related videos" and ignored my past viewing history to show me videos similar to the one I am watching right now. Now I'll get on YouTube to watch some dude restore a 60s lawn tractor and the "recommended videos" are all K-pop because my wife was dancing along to music videos the night prior on my account.

Now it's COPPA, demonetization, having to go to increasingly absurd gimmicks to satisfy the Almighty Algorithm, etc.

Like, I have no desire to make a living off of YouTube but I still do a lot of the stupid YouTuber tropes because I want my videos to be seen and The Algorithm decides who lives or dies. I'm a big fan of Doug Demuros thoughts on this. After twice making car buying decisions based on what YouTube commentariat wanted him to have he said "screw you, I'm going to do what makes me happy" and got his personal dream car (Ford GT) saying that it wasn't worth it to cowtow to the viewership at his own expense.

As possibly pathetic as it sounds I've wanted to make instructional videos, reviews, short films, etc. ever since my dad got a CD Mavica in, what, 2004 or so? Now I'm here and the landscape is absolute hell.

But whatever. I'll keep putting out weekly videos, refining my process, learning how to use Illustrator and make tshirts to wear in them, get more comfortable on-camera, and maybe it'll just click someday.

Sorry for the novel.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
OK folks...talk me out of a Nikon 55-200 or 70-300.
Crop body? A 55-200 is pretty ideal decent. I find 55 a liiiitle bit restrictive on a crop for walkaround personally.

You make videos?! I never knew!
Which also kinda speaks volumes about how good you are at getting your videos seen...
What's your channel?
Channel is same as username. Logo is a stylized check engine light. Been pumping out mediocre videos for the last couple months to get in the groove. Now that I have a shop to produce in I can knuckle down with a couple of projects and hopefully better production quality. My wife's Rebel 250 is getting a bare-frame resto-mod into bobber with a 50s beach cruiser bicycle color scheme (metallic teal frame, whitewalls, etc.) in a "**** you" to the typical "grr angry skulls and spikes" aesthetic of bobbed motorcycles. I doubt it'll be popular but I'm looking forward to doing it.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Yeah, it's going to be on a D3100. Bear in mind, I've got the 35mm to walk around with. This will be mostly to shoot at my boy's hockey games. Lighting at the rink is better than I thought it was, so a fast lens isn't as much of a requirement as I thought it would be.
Aaah, sounds fairly ideal. IDK what they cost but if at all possible I'd try to borrow or rent one before purchase to make sure you don't want something slightly different.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
The last 15 miles was about 10” deep and not plowed. I did 20-25 the whole way and was counter steering a LOT. Made it home at 1:30am.

This is an unpaid advertisement for AWD CX5 and Blizzaks.
This sounds amazing and I wish to participate.

Kansas keeps teasing us with 1/4 inch of powder that's melted away by lunch.

1 - 20 of 1969 Posts