ClubRoadster.net banner

2421 - 2441 of 2679 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The desk I'm working on now is 17" and it's getting the job done just fine. It's just ugly. I initially thought 18" wouldn't be enough too, but I'm not having any problems so far. I'd probably cut it into two pieces, a 60" piece and a 40" piece. Use the 60" for my desk. Half of that would be computer space, the other half would just be open space. I like keyboard trays though everyone seems to hate them. I like the desk to be higher than my keyboard though, and I like to be able to move it out of the way when I want to.

Then I'd use the 40" piece for another table.

I don't care about whatever is trendy. I just like the live edge lol.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
8,972 Posts
This is barely more expensive than that unfinished board: Zane Large Desk - Cool Walnut

Yeah, I get the "wanting to build something" aspect of it, but you'll be $750 - $1000 into that board before it's anything resembling a desk. For that money, you could buy some real furniture.

·
Super Moderator
2,529 Posts
The second offer on la casa was underwhelming compared to the first. They made an asking price offer but requested 6% buyer assist with closing costs. No bueno.

My agent is going to call the Dentist today and see if he's interested in putting in a cash offer, and instead of individually countering both of the first two offers we are going to request they put in their respective best offers.

I definitely like the first offer the best so far, it seems like it has real potential to make it all the way to closing. The girl that is interested in it is pre-approved for a conventional mortgage, the house is in close proximity to pretty much all of her family, and her realtor is a big proponent of the neighborhood since her daughter lives only a block and a half away. If they come up just a bit on their offer I think that's what we will go with. They are requesting 3% assist with closing costs, but upped their offer to cover about 60% of it. If they come up a bit more it would basically just be me fronting the money so she can finance it in, which I have no problem with.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
2,651 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
This is barely more expensive than that unfinished board: Zane Large Desk - Cool Walnut

Yeah, I get the "wanting to build something" aspect of it, but you'll be $750 - $1000 into that board before it's anything resembling a desk. For that money, you could buy some real furniture.
I was thinking closer to 600 if I source the legs instead of building them myself.

I don't like that desk at all. Maybe it's just the pictures, but I'm not a fan of it.

Also curious what you mean by "real furniture" lol. Anything can be built. A wood top on metal legs isn't a complicated thing. I have a belt grinder I built out of square steel tube stock and a motor I got a Craigslist.. Is that not real because someone else didn't build it?

I get where you're coming from hut building a desk from that slab would be cheaper by far than buying anything comparable. At least from what I've seen

·
Super Moderator
2,529 Posts
I do really like both the desk and the entertainment center. When I finally get my next place I am really hoping that I can have a nice workshop. I could build that entertainment center for probably about $300, I just need about $10K to outfit my workshop first lol.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,098 Posts
I, too, want a ton of tools and a workshop to build all the things. Wood and metal so.... that's a lot of tools, lol.

How about them gubmint checks? Gonna be a minute before they roll in but mines is already spent... :p

·
Resident BMW Apologist
2,651 Posts
"Wow, that's pretty. I might pick one-- EIGHTEEN HUNDRED FREAKING DOLLARS?!"
Not sure if I ever told the story here but we acquired a lot of really nice furniture for next to nothing when a c-suite executive from my wife's company decided to leave and move back to the UK last year

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I, too, want a ton of tools and a workshop to build all the things. Wood and metal so.... that's a lot of tools, lol.

How about them gubmint checks? Gonna be a minute before they roll in but mines is already spent... :p
Buying a rollbar with mine, prolly tires too. The rollbar got 50 dollars more expensive in the last week. Sucks. Oh well.

·
8,098 Posts
I told the wife between any funds we get back from the refi and this little stimulus... might just go drop the car and the motor off and order a MS3. Tell him to powdercoat what needs it and send me a bill. In all actuality... I can't spend all those dollars for things I can do so instead I'll probably ghetto paint the bits, slap it in myself, pray it starts, and then maybe follow through with the MS3 purchase and a tune. But I doubt it.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
8,972 Posts
The stimulus is still TBD. I think it was pitched as regressive, with household salary over $100k getting $0. I guess we’ll see how it actually plays out, but I wouldn’t earmark those dollars just yet.

EDIT: That said, if we do get it, then I’m buying garage cabinets and a rolling tool chest. I’m so incredibly tired of having no garage storage and working out of a tool bag.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Yeah a tool bag is the worst. You'll like the rolling chest a lot. They're handy.

I don't really need the money so if it doesn't come that's fine too. If it does tho I'm wasting it on frivolous things because I can. Now that I'm thinking about it I should probably buy a lower miles engine to swap in like JR did. Mine is up there in miles, the clutch is shot, and it's leaking oil anyway.

·
8,098 Posts
Last I read it was under $75k for individual or $150k for couples. This would be the only time I'm happy that Kristen's job doesn't pay ****, lol.

Building my workbench and overhead storage in the garage was the best. Made proper use of the space and it's real furniture since I built it... yuk yuk yuk... I want to get some decent quality shelving for the garage. All I have now is that shitty Home Depot plastic stuff. It does the job but is bowing a bit and just sucks in general.

·
8,098 Posts
I find that I never roll my rolling chest. It's probably because the smaller toolbox sits on top of it so it's a tipping hazard but... I just never do. I feel like a need a couple more tho...... and enough tools to fill them.

·
Super Moderator
2,529 Posts
Cool beans. I signed up for the Panera coffee subscription last month, but missed about a week and a half because they closed during the shutdown orders. They emailed to say that because they know people can't get the coffee they are paying for, they are waving subscription fees for 2 months. Hopefully things will be opened back up by then so I can get some free coffee.

I never roll my chests. I've got a 30" full stack and a 52" full stack. completely impractical to move when loaded. If I get a big enough garage one day I would really like to have one like this to use for individual jobs. Then put the tools back in the big cabinet when I am done.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,831 Posts
My friends unfairly perfect Winning Blue NC1. Freshly repainted, 2.5 swap, Öhlins, RE71Rs, 16x9 RPF01s, RaceROM. Drives absurdly well and is perfectly dailyable. The RaceROM features are hilariously fun and I badly want to drop $600 pointlessly tuning my stock 2 liter so I can flat foot shift for no good reason.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I like rpf1s a lot. I know most people don't, but I still do. Especially the 14s on an NA. Such good.

I wanted the 15x8s for my NB but they're out of my budget with the new house and moving etc. I'll stick with my gen1 6uls for now. Maybe paint them or get them powdercoated.

·
Administrator
15,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,440
Unpopular opinion time: High offset RPF1s are gross and entirely milquetoast.

Which is why i went wayyyy off the rails you guys and got PF01s. WAY different. :p

2421 - 2441 of 2679 Posts