ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 5921 Posts

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,624 Posts
I want a resto mod so hard. Classic looks and modern performance. Yummy.

Jealous Jenn. We have an Alaskan cruise in June and are kicking around the idea of a tropical Christmas...

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I've driven a few of them. I enjoy it. They're slow, floaty, stop like ****. It's a blast.

If I want to drive something new I'll just buy something new.

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,200 Posts
I should fly my planes more in the spring.

In related news: talking myself into spending even gift money is excruciating.
Easy button for that. Give me the money, I'll spend it for you.

Just picked up my wife's set of wheels for the Miata. Going to slap those on later and pull the alternator to take it for a rebuild tomorrow. I can't recall the car but I had the same place rebuild an alternator decades ago, and they are still in business.

·
Registered
299 Posts
One of my favorite resto mods Ive done in recent years was a 55 Pontiac Chieftain on a C6 Corvette. That car came out so nice. I wish I could find more people who wanted stuff like that and just do resto mods everyday. Too often I find myself working on boring German SUVs or Japanese hybrids. Not a lot of room to flex my creativity on those

·
Registered
508 Posts
Where do we draw the line between restomod and just mod?
I think "restomod" means a restoration where you mod stuff along the way, usually to bring the car "closer to modern standards", depending on what that means to you.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,313 Posts
Easy button for that. Give me the money, I'll spend it for you.
I've always got something I want to spend money on, I just won't spend the money. Can't pull the trigger, so to speak, lol

·
Registered
299 Posts
To me, a resto mod is a classic car that appears stock but has modern powertrain, suspension and brakes. The body and interior appear stock for the most part and any modern elements integrated into the interior are hidden. That's just one body man's definition though.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,624 Posts
That’s precisely what I was thinking as well. For example... the Lincoln that Dax drives in Hit and Run. It’s probably a little too modern for some people but that’s a nearly perfect car to me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That definition works for me.
Especially because it excludes classic cars with modern interiors. And excluding classic cars with modern interiors is always a good thing.

·
Registered
508 Posts
There aren't many positive things about my poor mother having slammed her thumb in the door jam so hard the door closed, but her growing appreciation for her new Auris Hybrid (given she doesn't have to change gears anymore) and my learning of the art behind folding towels as I was helping her with laundry are two.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I never quite got the word restomod. Have I done a restomod on my miata then?
I think Adam did? Although now that I think about it, there's not much I can recall on Sharka that brings it closer to a "modern" car, at least not any more than it brings it closer to a more expensive car of the same vintage. I guess the stereo could be one thing. And if we're simply talking taking advantage of improved technology by installing more modern parts like coilovers, brakes, etc., isn't that what a good three quarters of all Miata people do?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I never quite got the word restomod. Have I done a restomod on my miata then?
Generally speaking the term applies to cars from 70's or earlier. For some reason, despite their age, most purest won't refer to a miata as a "classic car"

·
Registered
508 Posts
Probably because it isn't a classic car lol.
Italian laws define it as a classic car. Guess the most correct term for it is "youngtimer".

·
Registered
299 Posts
Definition of "classic car" is anything over 20 years old. I could get classic car plates for my NA but the local car community would laugh at me

21 - 40 of 5921 Posts