ClubRoadster.net banner

7521 - 7540 of 7854 Posts

·
I have all the correct opinions.
9,800 Posts
lol, speaking of, the Hero 9 just released 45 minutes ago. Still no built in mic input. Fucking trash.
and yet they sell like hot cakes. most people who buy them want an easy way to record video while they’re on a vacation - not to make high quality videos of themselves talking bullshit. apparently that requires much more expensive equipment (thankfully - it’s a good barrier to entry).

·
100% Jakedashian
7,420 Posts
and yet they sell like hot cakes. most people who buy them want an easy way to record video while they’re on a vacation - not to make high quality videos of themselves talking bullshit. apparently that requires much more expensive equipment (thankfully - it’s a good barrier to entry).
I'll ignore your obnoxious attacks on vlogging but my annoyance lies in the fact that the HERO series remains one of the best overall entry level cams for content creators but the only methods for recording external audio are wholesale garbage. The Gopro mic adapter has been regarded as absolutely useless since shortly after its introduction. The Media Mod for the Hero 8 was designed specifically for vloggers and the like but has its own set of absolutely game-breaking and unacceptable bugs and poor quality control for an $80 accessory on a $300 camera. Mine has a loose mic jack, make my camera freeze, and will randomly cause my gopro to turn on. I'm working on a warranty replacement but these issues are so common I'm not entirely confident the replacement won't also be riddled with issues. ****, the entire concept of "mods" was aimed at vlogging.

Out of three automotive vloggers in Wichita using Hero 8s, watchJRGo has had reasonable luck with his but it's telling that he uses a 3 year old Sony as his primary camera instead (better ergonomics, built in mic input, easier to swap batteries, cheaper batteries), Hoovies has massive issues with the image stabilization wigging out at least once per episode, and I have all of my issues.

I also had to warranty replace the camera itself due to overheating and general performance issues demonstrably not inherent issues with the camera. They're making **** products now after dominating the market for years and I'm excitedly waiting for someone to produce legitimate competition. I personally know several actual production teams that ditched the Hero 8 for the Hero 7 because it was a more reliable camera (though they use it more for action purposes and don't do any of the mic input stuff).

·
Murse Magnet
7,615 Posts
I thought about buying a GoPro to strap to my head to do how to’s on automotive related things.

But, I don’t want to be a personality and thought about putting a paper bag on my head for the videos.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,527
Sounds like you're expecting an awful lot out of some cheap entry level camera.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,420 Posts
IMO the Hero series lost the plot when the LCD viewfinder started getting built in instead of being an optional accessory. It stopped being a reliability-first focused action cam and started being a jack of all trades master of none (not that I need a strict action cam, but they noticeably changed their focus with the Hero 6). The 8 wasn't very reliable, the "mod" system was even worse, removing the ability to replace the lens cover was asinine. The 9 has a freaking front-facing viewfinder in an obvious bid for the vlog market and is still going to require a bulky and/or unreliable external and guaranteed overpriced accessory to plug in a damn VideoMicro. Can't commit to a market or completely satisfy one to save their lives.

The Sony RX0 II looks absolutely phenomenal albeit expensive. The Insta360 OneR 4K looks like a potential Hero alternative if they work out the software bugs.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,529
So what you're saying is that the thing you desire exists, but you want to play in a budget that doesn't have the thing you want?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yeah.. it seems like you're out on a limb here. They keep selling for a reason. People are obviously happy with them. It may not fit your exact use case but they're definitely not selling "vlogging" so much as they're selling "go scuba diving on vacation" cameras, or "record your track day" cameras, or "snowboarding/skiing" cameras.

It seems reasonable to me that vloggers saw a cheap and available camera and started using them, and that their minor inconveniences were worth dealing with at the price point. As you said.. there's other options available.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,420 Posts
A product that purports to cater to my niche fails at actually working in my niche and has poor QC to boot. The Sony isn't without its flaws but I'll see how it works out for JohnRoss. He does have complaints about the narrow FoV compared to his FDR-X3000 but... we'll see. The FDR would be ideal but I think they just stopped making them (and it's a 3 year old platform anyway). No viewfinder, just a B&W LCD for shooting modes, built in 3.5mm jack, wide FoV and in-camera image stabilization.

Also for some reason I have never gotten the GPS in my Gopro to work properly, which also seems like a super widespread bug GoPro is dedicated to doing nothing about. Sucks, because in theory a 15hz (!!!) GPS is absolutely ideal for motorsport stuff. If my gopro worked as advertised I could mount it on my car, gaff-tape a mic by the exhaust and have incredibly smooth footage with great audio and overlaid telemetry with the push of a button, or mount it to my helmet, stick a mic inside, and narrate my super smooth video with overlaid telemetry. But, uh, yeah. the GPS ends up absolutely garbled almost every time. The only thing that's really worked as advertised on this camera is when I set it to "Hypersmooth 2.0" and mount it to my helmet the resulting footage is eerily smooth. It'd definitely make an excellent secondary camera if "capture smooth footage" is all you want out of it but it's advertised of being capable of so much more, all of which is either unreliable or flat out broken functionality.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
Lots of repetition needed in here with Jake and Bryan lol
Sorry...

In other news, the Dallas Stars are playing for the Cup Final (who they're playing from the East is still up in the air, but I think this may FINALLY be Tampa's year).

·
Murse Magnet
7,615 Posts
I really should buy a go pro. I forgot about using it for scuba diving. I imagine image quality is worlds ahead of my in expensive at the time 2010 digital dive camera.

And track days? Sign me up for a go pro.

·
9,800 Posts
^ Can’t stand the Stars, but couldn’t be happier to watch them knock out Colorado then Vegas. Both of those teams have the most insufferable fans of the West division.

I'll ignore your obnoxious attacks on vlogging
Obnoxious, says the guy adding even more noise to the internet, as if that’s what it needs.

Products are introduced to the market to meet market need at market price. I like the price of Corolla, but I’m not going to buy one then complain that it doesn’t offer the feature set of a Land Cruiser.

·
Murse Magnet
7,615 Posts
I don't intend to have this be a put down on your Jake, but I do feel like there is a bit too much vlogging in the world. But, you do you and do what makes you happy. Bonus points if it makes you money. But no, a go pro does not seem to be what you want. A go pro is an action cam and it sounds like you need a mirrorless slr for video at this point.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,536
Obnoxious, says the guy adding even more noise to the internet, as if that’s what it needs.

Products are introduced to the market to meet market need at market price. I like the price of Corolla, but I’m not going to buy one then complain that it doesn’t offer the feature set of a Land Cruiser.
This is why i have two Land Cruisers and zero Corollas.

I like the finer things and not complaining about a Corolla.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
^ Can’t stand the Stars, but couldn’t be happier to watch them knock out Colorado then Vegas. Both of those teams have the most insufferable fans of the West division.
I can understand that, but as a Pens fan, I would've been fine seeing [former Pens #1 draft pick and 2-Time Cup Winner with the Pens] Marc-Andre Fleury get Cup #3. I don't feel like that dude gets enough historical credit.

I don't intend to have this be a put down on your Jake, but I do feel like there is a bit too much vlogging in the world. But, you do you and do what makes you happy. Bonus points if it makes you money. But no, a go pro does not seem to be what you want. A go pro is an action cam and it sounds like you need a mirrorless slr for video at this point.
I don't know if it qualifies as vlogging, but more HD how-to videos from under and around the car are ALWAYS a good thing.

·
9,800 Posts
I can understand that, but as a Pens fan, I would've been fine seeing [former Pens #1 draft pick and 2-Time Cup Winner with the Pens] Marc-Andre Fleury get Cup #3. I don't feel like that dude gets enough historical credit.
Dudes good, for sure. Again, the VGK fans ruin it for me - very Yankees-esque. Also don’t care for Reeves... dude is dirty.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,672 Posts
That's fair. You're a lot closer to them than I am.

Reeves certainly makes for a fun interview. I enjoyed listening to him tell stories on Spittin' Chiclets. The perspective of the guy who isn't a star is always kind of interesting because they basically do whatever they have to do to stay on the team.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have a feeling my brake lines that are currently in SLC aren't going to be here today no matter what the tracking says.

7521 - 7540 of 7854 Posts