ClubRoadster.net banner

8781 - 8800 of 8992 Posts

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,086 Posts
You would.

P.S. I actually don't hate this. Wish it was closer than Yakima tho. And I know nothing of Montero's except what you've said here, none of which I've retained.

Jake and I recommend you buy this:

I test drove one of these years back before I knew anything about cars, I still kind of like them now tbh.

That stack of receipts and the thought of owning a 180k+ Touareg is frightening. I literally shuddered.

If I was buy an LR it would probably be a Disco 2 simply for some familiarity with them. I would never make this purchase as I don't need the 3 amigos riding shotgun.

False. It's not red. The SHO was fun for what it was back in the day. Got to abuse a friend's but it was the prior gen with the Yamaha v6.

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,783
Big pass on Freelander. I'm shocked you find one for sale that was running and driving. Most aren't.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That stack of receipts and the thought of owning a 180k+ Touareg is frightening. I literally shuddered.
Does look really, really clean though.

Big pass on Freelander. I'm shocked you find one for sale that was running and driving. Most aren't.
I had to do some work to find one. I liked them when they first came out. I'd drive a 3 door Freelander if I could find one & had space/cash to burn.

I know Pilots look lame, but is there any reason not to consider one? As much as I want to recommend the Touareg or something dumb, my enthusiasm for stuff that works is higher.

·
Murse Magnet
7,711 Posts
Julie’s mom is the original owner of their 04 pilot. They don’t treat it as nice as I treat my cars and it’s gone through multiple accidents and bouts of deferred maintenance yet is still somehow running and driving fine. So, I’d say pilot is a decent car if it can survive them.

·
9,086 Posts
Subaru is always a consideration. I honestly don't know enough about those or Volvo's to aid in the discussion. This thing is full yeet with choo choo noises so here we are.

·
Murse Magnet
7,711 Posts

·
9,086 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Subarus are generally pretty good. Head gaskets are a thing, but generally they just leak oil externally and you can run them for a long time by checking the oil. Other than that its pretty much just old car **** at this point. On the plus side, they're mostly stupid easy to work on. Very very good in snow, also cheap and easy to lift them if you want to flex on Impreza owners. Downsides: if they've ever been near the northeast they will be rusty junk and they're particularly temperamental about matching tire sizes so if you **** a tire be prepared to buy 4.

Volvos are solid cars too, but definitely more expensive to run. The big problem with them is the AWD, its not a matter of if but when the AOC pump and module fail. Not a huge deal to fix but the car is down while the module gets rebuilt and it can be pricey.

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,798
That red 4Runner is the play.

·
9,086 Posts
351k miles and still listed at $5k is a big oof. I think the Subaru I listed is the play if it’s still available. One owner and alleged history of head gaskets being done.

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,800
And it'll still be worth $5k or more when you sell it in 2 years. In your price range, mileage means exactly nothing for any platform. Condition is the only thing that matters.

If you want low miles, the Montero i linked is the way to go.

8781 - 8800 of 8992 Posts