ClubRoadster.net banner

13561 - 13580 of 13735 Posts

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,919 Posts
Don’t worry guys... topping it off and sending it. Should be fun climbing mountain passes loaded with a few hundred pounds of cargo. Old cars are neat.

Places to stay booked. Lunch being consumed. Cars to be loaded in a few.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yeah the chances of Jiffy Lube fucking **** up are a lot higher than the chances of your 5VZE slightly caring about an overdue oil change...

Gotta do front brakes on mine. I have an appointment at the shop for next Thursday but in the meantime they went metal on metal and I have the parts so maybe I'll just suck it up and do them this weekend.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I need to do the fd brakes. It's in the air and I've got all of the lines loose... But I'm lazy and don't feel like doing the pads and rotors, and maybe repainting the calipers. They're red and I hate it.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,120 Posts
I need to do the fd brakes. It's in the air and I've got all of the lines loose... But I'm lazy and don't feel like doing the pads and rotors, and maybe repainting the calipers. They're red and I hate it.
Get cracking. I want to see this thing running.

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,271 Posts
Jake, sorry to hear about your family's loss of a pet. That is a long time to be attached to a pup. My condolences.

Cali crew (temporary) in the house! San Francisco traffic sucks as bad as it did last year. Only went nine miles in an hour. Finally did make it to the hotel, did a little grocery shopping and ate my dinner. The In-And-Out next door is even busier than it was last year, and looks like Denny's is open so I may be eating there a time or two. I'm in the hotel for a while by the sound of it.

Got a text from my next-younger brother when I landed, he may have Parkinson's. He's scheduling an MRI to find out for sure what is going on. Our other brother and I already started with the jokes.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
whenever I hear the phrase “metal on metal” I think of Anvil.
Careful with that reference--it's an antique ;)

Speaking of antiques: I got the little dude to help me with the oil change--thankfully, it appears that the shop didn't mess that or the oil pan reseal up.

I think it's time I started his tool collection by buying him one tool a year for his birthday.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bryan, if it's something he enjoys, I would think establishing "his" tool and his toolbox would be really cool. Sort of like he's grown up enough to work with you, and take care of his stuff as well. That's awesome.

I wasn't allowed to tinker with my dad's stuff when I was a kid. I worked "with" him sometimes but the garage work table and tools were off-limits. I assume it was a mix of him not wanting his stuff getting lost or broken with a healthy dab of not wanting me to hurt myself by getting into something that I shouldn't without supervision. Tools can be very personal!

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
I'm not sure if he enjoys it, but I'm trying to find out. Doing simple projects where there's no danger of him snapping a bolt or something are nice because they also give a definite "we're done" result. We already did the spark plugs on the Mazda5, and he seemed to like being involved.

I'm hoping to give him the Miata one day (or at least let him drive it), so he might as well be comfortable working on it.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,921 Posts
Wow...the Previa got kind of neat looking in its old age:

I didn't expect it to look so much like a modern interpretation of the original Estima/Previa... so many 90s nameplates look so far removed from the original design it's kinda cool that they stuck so close with the egg motif.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
Is this really a concern? How many adults, let alone children, have snapped a bolt?
My son, being a smaller version of me, won't try anything because he's worried about messing it up. His father, meanwhile, worries about messing up not only the job, but the moment with his son at the same time.

Given that, I tried to make the first job he had working on a car something that was easily achievable and unlikely to go wrong.

13561 - 13580 of 13735 Posts