ClubRoadster.net banner

13581 - 13600 of 13735 Posts

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
3,271 Posts
I don’t know how people live with traffic like that. What part of San Fran are you in? How long?
Ship is in Mare Island, we are staying up the road a bit in Fairfield. Not really sure as from what I saw today, the schedule isn't being met so will likely get pushed back. On the plus side, unlike last year I am not restricted to my hotel room and actually have access to a vehicle. I will probably be the designated driver once my handover is done. Folks are in for a real treat when I see how a minivan stacks up against a Miata's driving dynamics. :p

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,919 Posts
Is this really a concern? How many adults, let alone children, have snapped a bolt?
I’ve snapped multiple bolts. The most annoying was probably the one doing my shift boots. It’s like 20 inch pounds and became righty loosey real quick. There’s been others but that one still angers me.

950 miles down, 360 to go tomorrow. I’m ready to not be in the car.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
Pretty sure the bolt I snapped 13 years ago when replacing one of the spark plugs is why one of my ignition coils now has a stress crack in it. I watched the bolt on one of my motor mounts go righty loosey and fall off in my face. I've kind of lost count of how many bolts I've snapped over time.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
Speaking of breaking bolts...

Trying to put in self-closing hinges (because my kids refuse to close doors when they go outside), and I keep snapping the heads off the sheet metal screws I'm trying to use to hold the hinges in (steel exterior door).

I freaking HATE working on things--at least stuff I have no idea about. Consulting t3h G00gz is useless because I don't know what the right question is. I feel like an idiot.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,731 Posts
You’re snapping heads off screws? I didn’t even know that was possible.

Search “exterior door spring hinge install” or similae

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
You’re snapping heads off screws? I didn’t even know that was possible.
I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but I can't help but also thinking "thanks for reminding me of how big of an idiot I am".
Search “exterior door spring hinge install” or similae
I looked online and found hinges with holes identical to the originals. I'm done trying to figure it out.

·
3,271 Posts
If you are breaking the heads off, that means you are putting too much torque on the screws. Try going up one step (1/32) on your pilot hole. You want enough of an opening so you aren't stressing the fastener, but not so much as to not give the threads enough purchase to hold.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
If you are breaking the heads off, that means you are putting too much torque on the screws. Try going up one step (1/32) on your pilot hole. You want enough of an opening to you aren't stressing the fastener, but not so much as to not give the threads enough purchase to hold.
I thought about stepping up on the pilot hole, but at this point, the hinge spot I'm currently using is going to have one of the original hinges back in its place because I'm going to two self-closers instead of one. I'll keep it in mind for when I try with the two new hinges, but I'm hoping I won't have to worry about it because the new hinges should match hole pattern with the original hinges.

(I was testing the sheet metal screws with the self-closing hinge that's currently in the middle of the door. I'm taking that one out and putting the old hinge there because the self-closing hinges will be at the top and bottom once I have two.)

·
3,271 Posts
We aren't talking about the location of the holes but their size. It's good that the new hinges line up with the original holes, but if the holes are too small you are going to keep having problems. Get a piece of scrap metal, drill some different sized test holes and see what size works. Then use that drill for your pilot holes.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
We aren't talking about the location of the holes but their size. It's good that the new hinges line up with the original holes, but if the holes are too small you are going to keep having problems. Get a piece of scrap metal, drill some different sized test holes and see what size works. Then use that drill for your pilot holes.
Good idea.

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
Bryan, there is also the possibility that the screws are just shitty. I've had piss poor results using the supplied hardware with a lot of stuff over the last several years. If you're using the supplied hardware you might want to consider going to the hardware store and getting new screws.

I did something to the ring finger on my left hand last week. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but if I keep it bent too long it kind of gets stuck there and then it cracks when I extend it. It's been making typing this last week a LOT of fun.

I am pretty sure one of my Rigid drills died yesterday. I was using a step bit to open up the holes in the frame rails of the crosstrek for the hitch bolts. I was only on the first hole and the drill just kept dying. I changed the battery but it was still just randomly stopping. Each time it stopped I'd have to pull the battery, pull the trigger a couple times and then put the battery back in just to get another 5-10 seconds of drilling. I guess I'll get to see how good the Rigid warranty is now.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,629 Posts
Bryan, there is also the possibility that the screws are just shitty. I've had piss poor results using the supplied hardware with a lot of stuff over the last several years. If you're using the supplied hardware you might want to consider going to the hardware store and getting new screws.
The supplied screws are for wood and just spun. I bought sheet metal screws separate.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,731 Posts
I did something to the ring finger on my left hand last week. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but if I keep it bent too long it kind of gets stuck there and then it cracks when I extend it. It's been making typing this last week a LOT of fun.
google “trigger finger”

·
1000% Jake
4,938 Posts
I assumed as much. I was wondering what about the wing was illegal (its presence or a more specific detail such as its width).
It's mounted above the highest point of the roof, and it's also way behind the rear bumper.

I don't really care about people cheating in X prepared anymore. It's more unusual to see a legal build than one that has many, many rule violations. I don't know if this car is built to go to nationals, and even if it does, there are actual XP cars built to the limits of the rules that dominate at nats. Because the rules do not allow any under car aero, the class is ruled by cars with stock belly pans/diffusers, basically the lotus Exige or Elise. It's... Dumb. It's not likely this car would inspire a protest unless it somehow won.

The "XP" cars at hillclimb are even worse. It's just a joke. Diffusers have never been legal in XP and I'm not sure they are legal in any SCCA class. Happy to hear otherwise, but honestly I'm done with the SCCA. I am no longer a member, I didn't renew this year and just buy a $15 weekend membership to go run with my friends. Their classing is too restrictive. I want to run a wing that's wider than my car that's mounted in free air. I want to run a flat floor and a diffuser. Their vendetta against aero is based on trying to control costs in solo and keep speeds down on the course. It is a safety issue for me. Downforce is critical to keeping the car on the road. Every bit of grip gives more margin for error.

I'm also tired of playing by a rulebook that nobody else appears to want to read or be able to understand.

Rant over lol. Had a good time at prosolo on Saturday. Everyone needs to prosolo at least once.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
9,919 Posts
I'm kicking around the idea of going to Lincoln. I'll have to sort out a tow rig and trailer before that discussion continues tho.

Not sure of the actual weight but I'm guessing 400+ pounds in the cargo area and 50-100 on the rear carrier. Up and over all the mountain passes running AC occasionally and probably averaging 80mph I netted about 18 mpg. Not bad for the old truck... just wish I had a better seat, lol.

May be time for a suspension refresh. The springs popped back to life once it was unloaded but I just feel bad for the old girl.

13581 - 13600 of 13735 Posts