ClubRoadster.net banner
14741 - 14760 of 14797 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I see what you're saying. It's contrary to the traditional sales model.
Speaking of the days of yore and Golfs far removed from their sportier brethren, I have some great, great news.
You know it's great if I bothered to log on here.
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-18 at 23.07.49 copia.jpeg
After five days, a literal thousand miles, a top speed of 90mph (much above factory figures), the steepest roads I've seen in my life, an overtaken Aston, and the hardest I've ever wished for aircon in my life, she's finally in my garage.
They've been the happiest days of my life. I drove for hours on end, and man, I could've gone on for weeks. And so could the car: not a sputter, not a heat, not a bit of encouragement needed. I am so sodding happy. Truly. The greatest stuff.
Like everyone who's gotten to drive it, I love this car to bits.

And, in case I never shared or you forgot...

GL = red interior. 😎
Please remember how baller y'all felt when you got your first car. You can imagine how I must feel.

Oh, also, I got to check out a Pao that was sitting in a dealership that marks the middle of Buttfuck Nowhere with precision I can't put into words.
I basically held this face throughout it all, and it took me some 20 minutes to regain the ability to form (vaguely) coherent sentences.
Joyful passion, through an alignment of stars, got distilled in a car, and I sat in it.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,096 Posts
Ever had the mother of groom tell you that you’re dancing with the family whore and you need to stop? Me neither………

About 75 coors lights and way too many whiskeys later I’m happy to have this weekend in the rear view.

·
100% Jakedashian
8,029 Posts
The Figaro offers similar charm.

View attachment 150984
The Figaro is far and away my favorite of the Pike Cars, unless the BE-1 counts as a Pike Car. Idk. It's more of an 80s Walkman aesthetic than the 60s throwback of the other Pikes.

That booty.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,824 Posts
Jake, as much as I find your automotive tastes to be...questionable...I have to agree with you here. The Be-1 is a pretty neat looking little ride. Gives off the vibes of both the EF and EG Civic hatch combined with the Honda Today with the roof of a Fiat 500. Thanks for showing this one...I'd never heard of it before!

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,911 Posts
We watched the first episode of Loki and just couldn’t get past the typical marvel drama / camp. It’s a bit too self indulgent.

Been watching Ted Lasso on Apple+, which is pretty good

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Figaro offers similar charm.
Seen a couple from afar while on a trip in England, before I knew a thing about them or got their charm, but could still appreciate them for just being such nutty machines!
You may expect me to consider them the best spot of the trip in hindsight... but nah, they still don't beat a highway XJ220.
The Figaro is far and away my favorite of the Pike Cars, unless the BE-1 counts as a Pike Car. Idk.
I am literally at a loss as to why it wouldn't.
Jake, as much as I find your automotive tastes to be...questionable...I have to agree with you here. The Be-1 is a pretty neat looking little ride. Gives off the vibes of both the EF and EG Civic hatch combined with the Honda Today with the roof of a Fiat 500. Thanks for showing this one...I'd never heard of it before!
Honestly, I don't seem to get the Be-1. I mean, I do like it, I enjoy the aesthetic, and I'd probably freak out if I saw it in person... but in no way can I see how it'd be worth the literal same hassle as a Pao or an S-Cargo.
Though by this time I am thankful for every car I don't get, because my wishlist is already scarily lengthy as it is.
Any reason you double space after full stops, Bryan?

·
1000% Jake
5,020 Posts
The Figaro is deeply disappointing in person. It feels like it was made in the same factory and out of the same material as a first generation iPod.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Oh by the way, I drove a Miata for the first time in my life. Thought I'd mention that.

Stock NC1 with a peeling hardtop. Boy do I get all y'all go on about.
I knew all about what it was going to be, obviously, but what struck me the most was the "Okay, we've had our fun, now let's go back under the speed lim- wait have we never gone over" factor.
Loved every bit of it. Are there any NC+NA owners/drivers that can tell me some bit about what main differences I can expect to find in an NA?

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,096 Posts
See our scenic views and adult superstores advertised on the same billboard as your local friendly church-corp (tm).
Having recently done the CO to MO drive and about to do it again… can confirm. We start the journey home on Saturday and movers show up Monday. Gonna be dope. Making the list of all the little things needed to survive is less dope, lol.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Having recently done the CO to MO drive and about to do it again… can confirm. We start the journey home on Saturday and movers show up Monday. Gonna be dope. Making the list of all the little things needed to survive is less dope, lol.
Stoked for you bbg. Send pictures

·
100% Jakedashian
8,029 Posts
Oh god, that is a terrible drive and a Greatest Hits of the worst parts of Kansas. I don't envy you.

·
1000% Jake
5,020 Posts
It rained half a millimeter today. Only rain for about a month. I think my neighbors are trying to kill their trees. Maples aren't really native to the area, especially now.

Palm trees are growing like crazy, though.

I don't know why I was so disappointed in the Figaro. It feels twee and silly, like it was designed to look a certain way and every other consideration was given second priority. I felt the same way when I first got in a new beetle, but it's worse than that somehow.

·
100% Jakedashian
8,029 Posts
Are there any NC+NA owners/drivers that can tell me some bit about what main differences I can expect to find in an NA?
Was it a 2.0 NC? If you thought a 2.0NC was slow... lol.

I've had two NAs and currently have an NC1 GT. Stock suspension in every Miata ever made is absolute garbage for doing anything other than going to the store (as is the case with most street cars sub-$70k). The main difference between the chassis rigidity and weight. NCs are stiffer and heavier, NAs/NBs are lighter, more reminiscent of old British roadsters, but absolute wet noodles on the best of days. The 1.6NA is honestly my favorite Miata as a "fun car" because the engine is a fun type of shitty. As the engines have become more competent they've gotten a bit less characterful. The NCs are quicker than a stock Mazdaspeed but they deliver the power with all the joy and pizzaz of unflavored yogurt.

NCs are also many times more obnoxious to work on, parts are a bit more expensive/not as varied, but due to a quirk of the markets (here in the US, at least) you can find NCs for less money than an NA in equal condition it seems (well, asking prices. IDK what stuff is actually selling for).

TL;DR:

Out of the box/with light mods: NA more fun, NC more competent. Both can be modified to tear your face off sideways.

My NC has: Tires, wheels, Konis, Progress springs, RX8 sway bars. It does everything I'd want it to do and I'm perfectly happy with it. Less than $10k invested.

14741 - 14760 of 14797 Posts