ClubRoadster.net banner
14761 - 14780 of 14797 Posts

·
100% Jakedashian
8,029 Posts
Is it crazy to say nothing but a car sold as a 'streetable track car' vs a 'trackable street car' is going to have suspension perfectly suited to the track? Until you get to your M3s, Corvettes, Lotus Exiges, etc. it's been my impression you're getting something compromised fairly heavily to not totally suck on the daily commute. Feel free to prove me wrong though. There's definitely outliers, I'm sure.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,911 Posts
Is it crazy to say nothing but a car sold as a 'streetable track car' vs a 'trackable street car' is going to have suspension perfectly suited to the track? Until you get to your M3s, Corvettes, Lotus Exiges, etc. it's been my impression you're getting something compromised fairly heavily to not totally suck on the daily commute. Feel free to prove me wrong though. There's definitely outliers, I'm sure.
Factory purpose-built track car and “sucks for anything but going to the store” are opposite ends of a spectrum with literally thousands of cars between them. While not a track-only car, all Miatas were very obviously built to blend streetability with track/racing performance.

Miata, S2000, Boxster, FRS / BRZ, Z3 / Z4, Z cars, Supra, etc. - all in that same bucket that can be taken to (and thoroughly enjoyed) on the track straight from the dealership floor.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,824 Posts
Any reason you double space after full stops, Bryan?
Old habit from my school days. The format I was taught to write in (MLA, for those old enough) required two spaces after every sentence. I just never saw need to change it.
The Figaro is deeply disappointing in person. It feels like it was made in the same factory and out of the same material as a first generation iPod.
I don't know why I was so disappointed in the Figaro. It feels twee and silly, like it was designed to look a certain way and every other consideration was given second priority. I felt the same way when I first got in a new beetle, but it's worse than that somehow.
Having seen one in person (the photo of the car I posted was taken by me), I can see why you'd say that. The car seems to accentuate aesthetic over pretty much everything. As a work of car art, I can respect that. Considering my general bias against Nissans alone, I wouldn't want to own one. Just looking at one, though, I find them to be charming.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Was it a 2.0 NC? If you thought a 2.0NC was slow... lol.
Oh, that's the point: I thought it was fast as hell! It's just that the tach disagreed. And, since the tach's say is the worst part about going fast, I loved every bit of it!
I've had two NAs and currently have an NC1 GT. Stock suspension in every Miata ever made is absolute garbage for doing anything other than going to the store (as is the case with most street cars sub-$70k).
Until you get to your M3s, Corvettes, Lotus Exiges, etc. it's been my impression you're getting something compromised fairly heavily to not totally suck on the daily commute.
Please remember I was fresh out (and got back in) a 1981 "Rabbit" on 40yo suspension that never even calculated twisties... and tires from 2012 (which yes I did drive in the rain on, yes they're now changed), so that NC felt akin to, say, a P1. And I stayed well clear of pushing it (too) hard.
The main difference between the chassis rigidity and weight. NCs are stiffer and heavier, NAs/NBs are lighter, more reminiscent of old British roadsters, but absolute wet noodles on the best of days.
I mean, that does explain people claiming stiffness gets better with door bushings. And the like three hundred different bracing options for them.
The 1.6NA is honestly my favorite Miata as a "fun car" because the engine is a fun type of shitty. As the engines have become more competent they've gotten a bit less characterful. The NCs are quicker than a stock Mazdaspeed but they deliver the power with all the joy and pizzaz of unflavored yogurt.
I'd like to speak positively about the Golf's power delivery, but it'd have to actually be delivering it...
All I'll say is that my dad just bought a Touran. And if you think the NC's engine is uninteresting, hoo fucking boy are you not ready for that snoozefest. (I mean, the car in general is so infuriatingly bland it's unbelievable. I can't even call it a piece of junk because being bad would at least be a characteristic.)
NCs are also many times more obnoxious to work on, parts are a bit more expensive/not as varied, but due to a quirk of the markets (here in the US, at least) you can find NCs for less money than an NA in equal condition it seems (well, asking prices. IDK what stuff is actually selling for).
I've been monitoring NA prices for years now. They're getting there in Europe too. The main motivation I have to find a job is my sheer determination to have my finances reach the price curve before it shoots into absurdity.

Old habit from my school days. The format I was taught to write in (MLA, for those old enough) required two spaces after every sentence. I just never saw need to change it.
Interesting, never knew that. It does look nice. Feels like I should have found something like that in the microtypography book I just read...
I am reminded of some old junk software that corrected me for spacing after commas, after which I stopped doing so and made a fool of myself for some years. I still cringe when I look at older writing and see that.

I don't know why I was so disappointed in the Figaro. It feels twee and silly, like it was designed to look a certain way and every other consideration was given second priority. I felt the same way when I first got in a new beetle, but it's worse than that somehow.
I have studied this quote for some two minutes trying to understand what about this is negative. Maybe this is why I like the Pike Cars.
I mean, it does make sense, right? If you want a Figaro, or a Pao, where style came second to function, well, guess what: it already exists, it's called Micra (or March).
Considering my general bias against Nissans alone, I wouldn't want to own one.
Where does it come from, if I may?

·
Mufasa in Training
33,824 Posts
Where does it come from, if I may?
My wife's old Altima, for starters. There was always something cheap about it.

My impressions of quality in Japanese brands (in descending order): Toyota/Honda (I put them interchangably), Mazda, Nissan way behind, with Subaru as a complete unknown since I can only remember even so much as sitting in exactly one in my lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
6,677 Posts
At least you didn't say you learned on a typewriter, but double spacing is a clear indicator that you're old.

·
Murse Magnet
7,840 Posts
At least you didn't say you learned on a typewriter, but double spacing is a clear indicator that you're old.
When I was in school I had a professor that would take points off of our assignments if we didn't double space. It was an incredibly dumb thing and was antiquated then.

·
Murse Magnet
7,840 Posts
Double line space, or two spaces after a period? They're different things.
Oh I should clarify. My professor was taking points off if we didn't double spacebar after every single period.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,096 Posts
I converted to single space many moons ago. Basically when I learned that it was related to old timey things and I needed to seem cool and hip, which I am neither. Now it’s just how I type. I also use capitalization and punctuation in instant message, text, etc. That’s a habit I cannot break. Similarly I always type out thank you and you’re welcome. Just seems more sincere. And by sincere I mean fake and forced.

My FIL smoked ribs and pork for linner today. Was so good. Shitting my pants now with a case of the meat sweats tho. FML

One downside to new tattoo I didn’t think about… can’t be in the sun or swing a golf club for a couple weeks. I’m less than excited about those things. Trying to find a company to shop my car is also… annoying.

·
100% Jakedashian
8,029 Posts
Factory purpose-built track car and “sucks for anything but going to the store” are opposite ends of a spectrum with literally thousands of cars between them. While not a track-only car, all Miatas were very obviously built to blend streetability with track/racing performance.

Miata, S2000, Boxster, FRS / BRZ, Z3 / Z4, Z cars, Supra, etc. - all in that same bucket that can be taken to (and thoroughly enjoyed) on the track straight from the dealership floor.
I'd struggle to put a Miata and a Supra in the same class... That said, I think I've driven every car on that list and I'd throw away the stock shocks and springs on all but the Supra the second I even considered going to a track or autocross (especially non-M Z3/4). I've autox'd stock NA/NB/NC, Boxster, FRS, Z3 and all of them felt like mushy garbage as soon as you tried to really cane them. SSP FRS/BRZ are a thing of beauty, though. Amazing how such relatively minor tweaks make it a whole new car (buddy has an FRS that we've thoroughly thrashed both before and after the SSP conversion).

IDK. Different expectations probably.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,096 Posts
But ya did, “anything under 70k”
The response I expected…

Honestly flogging on my brutally stock Miata was one of my fondest automotive memories. It rolled and pitched but warned you if the edge was nigh. The 14” all seasons fought for their lives and proved it with their wails. The sharper the knife got I wondered when it would end and cease to be fun but it never did… just different. Like when you ask someone if they like something and they say “it’s different.”

·
Mufasa in Training
33,824 Posts
I converted to single space many moons ago. Basically when I learned that it was related to old timey things and I needed to seem cool and hip, which I am neither. Now it’s just how I type. I also use capitalization and punctuation in instant message, text, etc. That’s a habit I cannot break. Similarly I always type out thank you and you’re welcome. Just seems more sincere. And by sincere I mean fake and forced.
Honestly, I hate abbreviating stuff like that. I once learned to say "Thank you" instead of "Thanks" at one of the two retail jobs I ever worked and I NEVER forgot it. Perhaps it's just arbitrary, but you'll only hear me say "Thanks" sarcastically. VERY seldom will you ever not hear me say "Thank you". Needless to say, it drives me nuts that my daughter always says "Thanks"--mostly because she never looks at you to say it and barely says it above a whisper if she says it at all 🤣

I tend to be more formal as a rule in speech and typing. I'd rather be considered a bit stiff and overly polite than rude. In general, that habit has served me well in life.

14761 - 14780 of 14797 Posts