ClubRoadster.net banner
15481 - 15500 of 15592 Posts

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,092 Posts
Is this statement contradictory or a stab at the way engineers don't care how it is to work on, only how it goes together?
The car works great.

The car is not good to work on.

Both of my lexus' and now this scion were a cornucopia of fasteners that were, like, welded together. Galvanic corrosion due to some quirk in a coating they use? Idk.

In other news, successfully started up my buddy's Insight today after I spent the last two weeks rebuilding the battery pack. No errors yet, need to go drive it and see if it holds up to some charge/discharge cycles.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,058 Posts
Found out why you pay good money for better pads. Pretty sore after a fall in yesterday's game, but I think I would have trouble standing up if I were wearing my old cheapies.
with or without wings?

·
Mufasa in Training
33,971 Posts
with or without wings?
Not quite sure I understand. I got knocked off my feet and landed on my butt. I really need to learn how to take a hit, because I stiffened up so things are sore, plus my head bounced when I hit.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The car works great.

The car is not good to work on.

Both of my lexus' and now this scion were a cornucopia of fasteners that were, like, welded together. Galvanic corrosion due to some quirk in a coating they use? Idk.

In other news, successfully started up my buddy's Insight today after I spent the last two weeks rebuilding the battery pack. No errors yet, need to go drive it and see if it holds up to some charge/discharge cycles.
"Rust". Toyotas are pretty good at it.

I gotta actually start doing some work on my Matrix, then we can have sorority yota battle.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,257 Posts
Not quite sure I understand. I got knocked off my feet and landed on my butt. I really need to learn how to take a hit, because I stiffened up so things are sore, plus my head bounced when I hit.
Generally speaking, land on the hips and not the tailbone and don't break a wrist trying to catch yourself. Parkour.

Just paid a guy $80 to pick up a load of trash (a set of old cabinets, a doghouse I dismantled, and a bunch of styrofoam packing from crap we've bought. Best dollars I've spent in a while.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,971 Posts
Generally speaking, land on the hips and not the tailbone and don't break a wrist trying to catch yourself. Parkour.
That makes sense. Hard to do that when your feet go out from under you and you're already off-balance.

·
Super Moderator
2,803 Posts
Bryan and the pad joke by steve

I think I found a bike. I am going to meet a guy next week to pick up (assuming good condition in person) a Scott Scale 710. It has pretty decent components in the factory spec, weighs only ~27lbs, and should be very well suited for the type of riding I actually find myself doing. Maybe if I ever get back in to serious trails I'll pick up a full-sus, but for now this should work pretty well.

·
10,257 Posts
I wonder how many dollars I could get away with spending on a bike before my wife actually stabbed me. And also... do I buy something new/used (if I can find it) or upgrade what I have (2004 Trek 4100) with new front shocks, disc brakes, new pedals, etc. Hmmmmm...

·
Super Moderator
2,803 Posts
2004 Trek 4100
It's tough finding a good bike right now due to the worldwide shortage of literally everything, but I would not spend anything upgrading that.

Check out craisglist, facebook marketplace and the buy/sell on pinkbike.com. Bicycle blue book is a good reference as well, it gets you in the ballpark on price and often will have the bikes specs listed on the value page.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,092 Posts
Finally got the trans out. Somehow despite the car being rust-free all of the fasteners look like they've been at the bottom of a lake for 100 years and have rust-welded themselves to every sleeve ever. Do not recommend.
I wonder how many dollars I could get away with spending on a bike before my wife actually stabbed me. And also... do I buy something new/used (if I can find it) or upgrade what I have (2004 Trek 4100) with new front shocks, disc brakes, new pedals, etc. Hmmmmm...
Two of my friends (and myself) did the latter.

Used hydraulic calipers/levers, amazon pedals, ebay long-travel forks, new grips, etc.

Bike stuff is almost hilariously cheap compared to cars.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Buy a bike with relatively modern frame geometry.

Sincerely,
The guy who bought a late 90s Kona, threw a few parts at to to make it a halfass gravel bike, and ended up taking it on actual trails once.

·
10,257 Posts
I have a decent Marin gravel bike. I think it’s a 2011. No suspension but carbon forks. Drop bars and such. Was a buddy’s CX bike. I should probably just swap the clips to flat pedals, swap bars, and ride it. Doing good eat sh!t to the POS old trek sounds like a bad idea.

And cap is a C tease. His Kona is not for sale.

15481 - 15500 of 15592 Posts