ClubRoadster.net banner
15981 - 16000 of 16589 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
That example took place a couple of years ago on a ~03-04 BMW X5 so I wouldn't rule it out due to age. That was also not a native rust belt car so it wasn't necessarily that either.

I wish there were junkyards near me.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,203 Posts
I did a semi-major project on my 4x6 utility trailer today. I bought this used probably close to 10 years ago now. It was originally a tilt trailer, but had a mesh floor and open sides. The first thing I did when I bought it was bolt the tongue in to cut down the rattles since the tilt feature was pointless.

Anyways today I cut out the mesh floor, ground down all the welds from the mesh floor and hit everything with a 60grit flap disc. Then I put a quart of Rust-Oleum on the frame. I went with international harvester red. It was gray before, but I've been rear ended twice while towing, so I figured making it brighter can't hurt. While that was drying I cut new 5/4 deck boards to length, pre drilled the holes for the carriage bolts and routered the top corners of the boards with a round over bit. When the paint was dry enough I drilled all the bolt holes and installed the boards with carriage bolts. I'm still waiting on recessed d rings for the two edge boards. The paint didn't go on super smooth because it was 50* out, but overall I'm super happy with how it turned out.

View attachment 151185
I'm impressed. Well done!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Drove my Miata 5 miles to grab lunch yesterday. Noticed the battery light on. Figured no big deal, just a bad ground. Then power steering went on the way home. Hmmm... that's not good. Get home, pull it in the garage... Pully came off the alternator and knocked other accessory belt off as well :cautious:

Got the alternator off and ordered a new one. Local parts stores only had refurbished crap brands. Pully had a small amount of wobble I didn't like.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,407 Posts
Throwing belts sucks but glad it's nothing too crazy.

Bimmer and the trailer both look great. Is it weird that I'd rather have the trailer?

We've had elk running through the back of the property these last few days. We'd seen 1 or 2 before but this was like 20-30 each time with a few bulls. Pretty amazing.

It's my week off and at 9am on Monday I'm already bored...

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
We've had elk running through the back of the property these last few days. We'd seen 1 or 2 before but this was like 20-30 each time with a few bulls. Pretty amazing.

It's my week off and at 9am on Monday I'm already bored...
CO is cool.

I kinda want to take a week between but losing money just sounds bad. Also like.. working sounds bad.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,407 Posts
CO is cool.

I kinda want to take a week between but losing money just sounds bad. Also like.. working sounds bad.
CO is rad. It's literally in the name.

Had I not just made a bajillion duckets on the house sale I wouldn't be doing it. I also probably shouldn't be golfing 4 days this week but here we are.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,203 Posts
I love that people still use "duckets" these days. Last time I heard it mentioned was a Brand New Heavies song.

(I really do love it. Charming anachronisms are my stock-in-trade.)

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I don't have enough duckets, I guess. Maybe I'll do it anyway. Or just take a long weekend. That'd be nice, at least.

Waiting for final offer now.. the one I got last week was lower than expected though still a large raise. Hoping to get a little bit more from them, but if not I'll just take what was offered.

I feel like I should be more excited than I am.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't have enough duckets, I guess. Maybe I'll do it anyway. Or just take a long weekend. That'd be nice, at least.

Waiting for final offer now.. the one I got last week was lower than expected though still a large raise. Hoping to get a little bit more from them, but if not I'll just take what was offered.

I feel like I should be more excited than I am.
I started a job in October 2020 after being laid off for 4 months. Turned out to be a miserable because of 1, 55mile commute. 2 overbearing controlling boss who only wanted a pair of hands to execute her bad ideas. Goes good? Pat her on the back. Goes bad? You get the blame. So, I started looking again. Now I'm full time remote doing a job in the field I was hoping I could transition to in a few years. Not making as much as I want, but most I've made in my life. So I'm good for now.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I started a job in October 2020 after being laid off for 4 months. Turned out to be a miserable because of 1, 55mile commute. 2 overbearing controlling boss who only wanted a pair of hands to execute her bad ideas. Goes good? Pat her on the back. Goes bad? You get the blame. So, I started looking again. Now I'm full time remote doing a job in the field I was hoping I could transition to in a few years. Not making as much as I want, but most I've made in my life. So I'm good for now.
My current job has been a living nightmare for.. 8 years. I've been complaining for years that I needed to move on. I just hope I like it, I guess. What I have now sucks, but I imagine it can always get worse. ha

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,214 Posts
I may start looking around again in the Spring, depending on raise / bonus results. Also have some referral (hiring) bonuses coming my way, so not about to leave cash on the table… but I’m not sure how long I want to keep doing this kind of work.

That said, full time work from home with east coast hours has been fantastic for my work / life / golf balance. Hard to really jump at giving that up.

·
Super Moderator
2,847 Posts
Just got boostered. J&J + Pfizer.

I told the lady I wear my mask all the time in public because I don't trust most people and also I wonder how effective the vaccine is almost 8 months later. She told me she never wears her mask anywhere besides work, and only there because they make her. She then said she figures it's one of two things, either the vaccine works or maybe there isn't even a virus to begin with. She also told me she wishes we had a more "southern" ideal up here, because she was down south and nobody thinks the virus is real. She also randomly decided to tell me that she feels the north is more racist than the south because up here we hide it and down there they just say how they feel.

What a wild ride.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,214 Posts
Just got boostered. J&J + Pfizer.

I told the lady I wear my mask all the time in public because I don't trust most people and also I wonder how effective the vaccine is almost 8 months later. She told me she never wears her mask anywhere besides work, and only there because they make her. She then said she figures it's one of two things, either the vaccine works or maybe there isn't even a virus to begin with. She also told me she wishes we had a more "southern" ideal up here, because she was down south and nobody thinks the virus is real. She also randomly decided to tell me that she feels the north is more racist than the south because up here we hide it and down there they just say how they feel.

What a wild ride.
Better to stay quiet and have people assume that you’re stupid, than speak and prove them right.

What a jackass.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,203 Posts
She also randomly decided to tell me that she feels the north is more racist than the south because up here we hide it and down there they just say how they feel.
She might be right but her reasoning is garbage.

Suspecting someone is racist is as honestly as bad as outright knowing it, from where I sit.

15981 - 16000 of 16589 Posts