ClubRoadster.net banner
16521 - 16540 of 16629 Posts

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,409 Posts
Christmas is the worst. My parents and in-laws insist on buying gifts so we generally send them a list. I waffle on ideas versus particular things kinda like your girl did. The good news is an example is probably a good one so it’ll work out.

That dusting looks nice. We’ve got a few inches now and a bunch of cars in the ditch in town. Neat.

I can’t decide if I want to buy things for the truck or not. Found a decent deal on wheels and tires. Kinda want a small lift or leveling kit. Should probably refresh the front end. Will likely put the stereo and speakers I bought for the mustang in it. I hate the slippery slope that it shitbox ownership.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,188 Posts
Went from my Pixel 3A to a lightly used iPhone 12 (I'm a cheapass; what can I say?). My last experience with an iPhone was a 6 I had... pretty dark time for iPhones in general. Amazing how much things have improved while it seems like Google continues to miss the forest for the trees with Android and make things less usable with every successive update. CarPlay vs Android Auto isn't even a comparison. Having music and nav on the same screen on Carplay is untouchable.

·
10,409 Posts
A few of us have been saying iPhone > * for a minute. They just work. It’s easy. Every android I’ve had would freeze and need regular reboots. Lame.

I’m warm but it’s not outside… but it is pretty.
Sky Daytime Nature Tree Shade

·
1000% Jake
5,198 Posts
Apple's software approach always makes me feel like I'm trying to fit my head in a square hole. The hardware is overbuilt and fragile at the same time, and you'd better like whatever it is because that's all you're getting. Their proprietary Bluetooth implementation is downright evil.

It's nice to develop for, though, so long as you're not trying to do anything in the background. Or Bluetooth stuff, or loading an SVG.

Honestly the feature sets and capabilities of both platforms have really converged, for the most part.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,188 Posts
The biggest thing that made iOS acceptable to me is that I've seriously lessened the amount of stuff I use my phone for. It's a spotify machine that googles things sometimes. And the bluetooth implementation is significantly better now (remember when you had to buy wifi based OBD2 dongles?) . They have also just... addressed pretty much all of my concerns and complaints from the iPhone 6 days. So I'm happy.

My chief complaint still remains: bastards are wildly expensive and I absolutely hate the idea that I'm carrying damn near four figures around in my pocket. My pixel 3a was $350. Brand new. It worked great for 3 years. That is hard to match.

Glasses Cabinetry Vision care Cat Felidae

I'm also happy because visiting in-laws means visiting in-laws' pets, including this obscenely old and chill chihuahua and young cat that is larger than the dog is.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

·
10,409 Posts
I worked on the mustang a little. I think the weird front end pops and bangs could be related to not greasing anything when I put it back together. Will test that another day since I threw out my grease gun in the move. Also hit some golf balls for the first time in too long. Most of the swings felt good. A few just felt… wrong.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,212 Posts
Hey guys. Last 5 days saw me start in OH, go through TN, NC into SC, stay in GA, then go from SC through NC, VA, WV, to the top of OH, then back home (crossing OH diagonally). Good to see family.

Mike, considered giving you a call when we passed Beckley, but at that point, I'd driven about 15 hours across two days and I still had 4-ish to go just to get to my parents' house.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,188 Posts
Tuned the Buick tonight. Coming within a gnat's ass of maxing out 550cc injectors on a 3.8l v6. Absolutely wild. Belt is slightly too long and started vibrating and eventually jumped half off the crank so... that needs remedied. Making around 20 lbs of boost, likely touching 400hp in a 4000lb FWD yacht. Silly. I lovehate it. Supercharged cars are always so dull to drive.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Hey guys. Last 5 days saw me start in OH, go through TN, NC into SC, stay in GA, then go from SC through NC, VA, WV, to the top of OH, then back home (crossing OH diagonally). Good to see family.

Mike, considered giving you a call when we passed Beckley, but at that point, I'd driven about 15 hours across two days and I still had 4-ish to go just to get to my parents' house.
No harm no foul. Long road trips with kids is draining. We will catch up at MATG.

Did some home maintenance yesterday. Replaced 2 faucets and installed a new dish washer. Only had to make 3 trips to Lowes and still don't have everything to finish it. On the last faucet had a feed line explode all over me. Our master bath needs fully renovated, almost stripped to the studs. But we only have 2 bathrooms and don't want to be down to 1 for who knows how long for me to do it all. Shower tub insert is too small/old, toilet is junk/tiny/old, tiled floor is trashed, vanity is junk, half the walls have shitty tile work. Its a large room but the space/layout is bad. Its on a second floor so would also need to rip out the ceiling of my home office to access plumbing if I wanted to move pipes. Would ideally want to add a second set of drains and water feeds for a stand alone shower.

Also need to update the kitchen. One thing that really bugs me about it is to save a few $$ in flooring during the construction, the wood floor doesn't go under the cabinets. So they are about 1" lower than normal and most of the kickboards are jacked up because of this so there is a gap between them and the flooring. Allowing all kinds of crap to get between that you can't clean up. I'm avoiding messing with the cabinets because of this. Don't want to deal with trying to raise the floor to even with the wood floor. Its the same wood floor that runs through the dining room, living room and hallway. So replacing just the floor in the kitchen seems like a pain. Ideally, I want to remove the wall between the kitchen and living room. But, then I get in to adding support because the wall is load bearing.

We talk constantly about selling and moving. House is very close to the interstate so road noise is very tiresome and makes our back porch un-usable. Problem is our area hasn't grown in 30+ years. So no new housing has been built or is being built. The crazy housing market has also hit our area. Anything in the 150-350 range sells in days if not hours. We don't have time to chase down every house that gets listed in our range because we both work. We own 6acres of property, but it is on the other side of the county and would add a 30min commute for my wife. Kids school is also very close to wife work. So we would have to come to town all the time anyways for sports etc. For her, the convenient 5min commute outweighs the negatives. And building costs are too insane to build right now. So, we just stay.

TLDR: Need to renovate master bath and kitchen. Also want to move but the housing market is stupid right now..

·
1000% Jake
5,198 Posts
Ugh **** the housing market forever.

My chief complaint still remains: bastards are wildly expensive and I absolutely hate the idea that I'm carrying damn near four figures around in my pocket. My pixel 3a was $350. Brand new. It worked great for 3 years. That is hard to match.
Don't forget fragile. I don't even carry my development iPhone around in my pocket because I'm so worried about dropping it.

But yeah they are definitely better than they used to be. I love writing Swift and the fact that there are only about five models of iPhone at any given time makes things so simple.

Yay Monday! Maybe rad for sale will finally get back to me about listing the Corrado.

·
10,409 Posts
Moving in the same area sucks. Only way to do it is sell high and move somewhere cheaper but doesn’t sound like that’s possible. I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to tackle a bath or kitchen remodel but might find out next year. The downstairs bathroom sucks dong. Are these things you’ve done and/or feel confident doing yourself?

Mask mandate in CO is back and that includes in the office. Ugh. Going to need more face lotion.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,217 Posts
Moving in the same area sucks.
Yep! Been looking at houses lately and **** is ridiculous.

Say you bought a $300k house 3 years ago that’s now worth $600k. $300k equity is great right? Nope, because that upgrade house you want that was $500k when you bought your house is now worth $1M+… so you’re $200k further in the hole now than you would have been had the market stayed flat.

($1M - $500k) - ($600k - $300k), for those that need to see the math.

EDIT: I should clarify that this sucks for anybody who is looking to up-size (like anybody buying a house for the first time and/or is looking to start a family). This is perfectly OK to downright beneficial for anybody looking for a lateral move or to downsize (like boomers who are retiring). So, again, Millennials get the **** end of the stick.

16521 - 16540 of 16629 Posts