ClubRoadster.net banner

1681 - 1690 of 1690 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Oh was he responding to me? I have him blocked... but yeah, “studs.”
Yep, I think between the couple of us in the conversation we could have found the "easy way" if there was one.

I feel like I shouldn't block people as a moderator. But, for how little moderators can actually accomplish on the new forum, I'm kinda starting to change my mind. It would certainly make this place a bit more tolerable to filter some of the stupidity right off the top.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,715 Posts
Yeah the forum is down multiple times a day that I notice and I'm only on here for 8 hours a day. There's a whole 2/3s unaccounted for.
I really would love to hear why this is the case. Some wordpress upgrades will put the site in "maintenance mode" for a few seconds while they execute but when i ran a site that cared about such things I had a 'staging site' and 'live site' in cpanel that I could swap out with 0 seconds of downtime. Then again those didn't have constant database writes from users... hm. Not an unsolvable problem though.

No matter what I have never blocked anyone on any forum. You never know what entertainment you might be missing.
I agree heartily with this

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I really would love to hear why this is the case. Some wordpress upgrades will put the site in "maintenance mode" for a few seconds while they execute but when i ran a site that cared about such things I had a 'staging site' and 'live site' in cpanel that I could swap out with 0 seconds of downtime. Then again those didn't have constant database writes from users... hm. Not an unsolvable problem though.
All wordpress upgrades put up a maintenance flag. Plugins, themes, core. Anything that uses the one click update.

The reason we get the downtime is because they're out of give a fucks. We've stuck it out this long despite everything being terrible, why change it? They know they lost the war with social media. They're just milking this cow until its dry. Competence isn't required. The reason they switched from vb to xenforo likely has nothing to do with giving us a "better" user experience. I'm betting it was just easier to switch to this than to update vb with all of the add ons that most of the forums had which were likely a maintenance nightmare.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
7,931 Posts
I have noticed a fair number of people being directed towards the forums for info and how to and such but none of them stay or contribute. It doesn’t help that all the tribes are formed and full and any newb that posts anything gets the “search you newb-a$s cvnt!” I mean... it’s just not the most welcoming with open arms system or society.

All this TV talk has me taking a vow to stop watching TV downstairs ever again. Thanks a lot hoes.

P.S. My wife playing Gilmore Girls for literally like the 7th time through while we do anything besides watch TV together is making me even more bananas. I’m going to poke myself in the eye until I scratch the back of my skull.

1681 - 1690 of 1690 Posts