ClubRoadster.net banner
17021 - 17040 of 17126 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
34,332 Posts
Bryan hop into AMDs queue, line starts in 4 minutes. Might get lucky.
FWIW, I wouldn't want to spend much more than $300 on a card. At a glance in FB Marketplace, that would give me a decent number of local choices in used cards.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,268 Posts
$35k for a Mini seems insane to me. Then again, I've only paid more than that for a car once in my life (the Odyssey) and hope to not do it again any time soon.
Maybe 10-15 years ago it was insane but cars are expensive now my guy

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
The issue I found yesterday is affecting... A lot of stuff. It's pretty wild. Found it in three more apps today. This will be fun in future job interviews

·
Mufasa in Training
34,332 Posts
Maybe 10-15 years ago it was insane but cars are expensive now my guy
Bear in mind I really meant that paying $35k for a Mini is crazy to me. I feel like their prices haven't changed much in that I always have thought they were more expensive than I think they should be.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,268 Posts
Expensive relative to what though? Like the Miata they are essentially they only car in their class.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,297 Posts
Compared to what else you can buy for $35k. I’m not sure why Minis sell at all, TBH.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,268 Posts
Compared to what else you can buy for $35k. I’m not sure why Minis sell at all, TBH.
Niche product for sure but it happens to be a perfect fit for someone like me. That may be clouding my judgement into perceiving it's a better deal than it really is but not sure what else I would buy (new) for the price. With respect to interior quality and available equipment nothing else really matches up.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,297 Posts
Niche product for sure but it happens to be a perfect fit for someone like me. That may be clouding my judgement into perceiving it's a better deal than it really is but not sure what else I would buy (new) for the price. With respect to interior quality and available equipment nothing else really matches up.
What are your criteria? I think you’re in NYC Metro right?… if so, completely understand the “city car” aspect of it.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,268 Posts
What are your criteria? I think you’re in NYC Metro right?… if so, completely understand the “city car” aspect of it.
Yup. Street parking in a densely populated city. <20 mile commute. No kids. Rarely carry any passengers other than my wife. No hobbies that require large amounts of cargo space.

I owned a 2010 Cooper S for two years. It was great other than the constant threat of impending timing chain failure.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I need a new GPU. My younger brother practically gave me his old gaming PC. The GPU had/has overheating issues because he said he removed the heatsink for some reason and didn't get it seated good. I haven't taken the time to look at it since I don't play much. But when I do play, the temps are fine. Now I'm starting to have some fps issues. Current GPU is Radeon R9 390 (4+ years old would be my guess). I haven't paid attention to PC peripherals in 15years.

·
1000% Jake
5,268 Posts
I have money to spend from Christmas...I'm contemplating a long zoom lens for the kiddo (and me) to use or maybe even a new (to me) GPU. Wonder what 6GB cards are going for now.
Jaw Font Art Poster Book

New Minis have always been expensive tho. BMW badge engineering or whatever. They were never an economy car and never intended to be.

They are a way to show how quirky and anglophile you are. Tons of them in Seattle.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,232 Posts
This opinion is basically worthless because of how little seat time I have but I drove a current-gen Mini Cooper JCW at an autocross event put on by the local dealership and really did not like it at all. Drove an older Mini Cooper Coupe S on the street and liked it a lot, though those are a low point in Mini reliability. Maybe they're just better on the street, maybe the new ones are fat, idk. The lift-off oversteer was great. I drove an older supercharged Cooper S and hated it. It didn't feel particularly nimble and the power delivery was milquetoast at best.

Overall they kinda just smack of the worst of both worlds. Not a very hot hatch, nor a very reliable one. If I wanted reliable and kinda dull I'd get a GTI. If I wanted to put a mechanic through college I'd get an Abarth. If "interior build quality" is a meaningless phrase I'd get a FoST/FiST. If I just wanted a fun compact euro car with luxury features I'd get a manual 230i.

·
1000% Jake
5,268 Posts
Huh. The first generation naturally aspirated car with the five speed was the best handling stock vehicle I've ever driven. All four wheels needed to be sliding at all times, at least that's how I drove it. The ride was impossibly hard but I'm not James May so that didn't bother me in the slightest.

Perfectly willing to believe it has been softened up.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,332 Posts
Expensive relative to what though? Like the Miata they are essentially they only car in their class.
Exactly.
The Mini seems a bit big for a true city car, IMHO.
Yup. Street parking in a densely populated city. <20 mile commute. No kids. Rarely carry any passengers other than my wife. No hobbies that require large amounts of cargo space.
For all those reasons, a car like the Mini makes sense, but not for that price and not for a Mini because...
I owned a 2010 Cooper S for two years. It was great other than the constant threat of impending timing chain failure.
...I always was under the impression that they are either unreliable or prone to catastrophic (at least catastrophically expensive) parts failures.
This is going to sound weird, but $300 for a brand new 6GB card doesn't sound that crazy to me, even as someone who hates spending money. Consider that a 12GB card would cost me 3x as much for only 2x the memory.
New Minis have always been expensive tho. BMW badge engineering or whatever. They were never an economy car and never intended to be.
I get that, but they don't strike me as luxury vehicles, either. Granted, I only ever sat/rode in one and, while I was very impressed with how solid it felt, I felt it was way too expensive for what you actually got in size, luxury, or reliability.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,268 Posts
That’s a totally reasonable size increase for 50 years worth of engineering and safety innovations

17021 - 17040 of 17126 Posts