ClubRoadster.net banner
18821 - 18840 of 19065 Posts

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,183 Posts
Dank. Give it a manual trans out of an Acura TL and that's a solid 10/good.
Whats the point of a manual trans in an Odyssey? 😅 Since we are posting Honda stuff, below is my current daily. Bought a k24 wagon since I cant drive the GX to work due to low clearance garaged parking.

Working on just building an audio system, a sleeping platform, and converting to Fortune Auto coils with adjustable control arms and thicker sways. Much nicer than the Fit but bagged suspension is sooooo boring in comparison.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Whats the point of a manual trans in an Odyssey? 😅 Since we are posting Honda stuff, below is my current daily. Bought a k24 wagon since I cant drive the GX to work due to low clearance garaged parking.

Working on just building an audio system, a sleeping platform, and converting to Fortune Auto coils with adjustable control arms and thicker sways. Much nicer than the Fit but bagged suspension is sooooo boring in comparison.
This I can get behind. Fits, mazda2, etc... not so much.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Also: kind of wish spending money on things whether I want or need them didn't feel like a small victory.
Can relate. I've become very frugal when it comes to spending more than $50. We need to replace our fridge. Its not old but its garbage. The coils in the back freeze up every couple months. So we have to empty it out, take it apart and let the coils defrost for a few days. Its getting worse. We just defrosted it a few weeks ago and can already see ice building back up. Doesn't help that its working overtime since its so warm and kids open it constantly to get stuff since they are home a lot now. Kitchen needs a remodel as well. And masterbath. And I need a vehicle. (You all will hear/read me complain of all these problems for the foreseeable future because of frugal)

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,183 Posts
This I can get behind. Fits, mazda2, etc... not so much.
It's a nicer quality car all around. Plush leather, much better audio, even a sportier feel to the dash and instrument cluster. there are also k series awd subframes that can be swapped in, v6 sh-awd systems that can be swapped in, etc.

But the Fit could do things that neither wagon or wife's SUV can't do - two main things: fun and practicality. Could fit into any parallel parking spot in the city. Could give us butterflies in our stomachs while flying down WV roads. Could fit tall ass stuff standing up. Can't fit my 160mm bike standing up in either one of our vehicles. I have to use bike racks on the roofs instead. Putting $10k of bikes on the outside of a car while travelling to new locations I know nothing about always feels questionable.

I could fit a 55'' LED tv standing up in the Fit. It was insane how easy it was to "fit" stuff in there. And idk about older Fit quality that you guys keep thinking about, but the GK5 was decent. No worse than a new Honda Civic, Toyota, or anyt other car less than $25k with exception of a VW (I have to hand it to VW that their interiors feel great for their cheap price). And the beam suspension in the rear made the car feel like it was on rails once you throw on a set of coilovers.

Also: kind of wish spending money on things whether I want or need them didn't feel like a small victory.
I get the luxury of buying something for myself maybe once a year. lol It always feels exciting because I never buy stuff for myself. The money goes to bills or the wife instead. I bought myself a new set of tires last year for my GX. I think this year will be a new set of tires for the wagon and maybe a bluetooth speaker for the pool. What an exciting time to be alive :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can relate. I've become very frugal when it comes to spending
I'm the definition of frugal. I stopped getting haircuts. Cancelled every streaming subscription we have - Hulu, Spotify, Crunchyroll, etc. I use prepay phone plan and only give a necessary amount of data out to the family to save $5-10 per phone. Stay home and only go outside to go grocery shopping or bike riding. Told my boss I can't afford to go back to the office because of gas prices. I count pennies enough to find ways to save $100/month when dropping them all in a bucket. lol

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
My problem is I've had over $1000 worth of money gifted to me this year to do nothing but spend on myself. Even spending that money has felt harder than it should (for the record, it's taken me since Christmas, but I'm still only $70 from having spent it all).

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,636 Posts
I make money. I spend money. I didn’t work my way into a comfortable salary to not buy the things I want. I also have no kids, only 1 car payment, a mortgage that’s 1/3 of what it was a few years ago, etc. We only live once. Live it up!

Related: taking tomorrow morning off to play golf.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,183 Posts
Oh, I forgot probably the biggest win of my frugal ways. I boarded up one end of the house that we don't need to use so that the HVAC system had to cool less square footage. Dropped my electricity bill majorly!

I make money. I spend money. I didn’t work my way into a comfortable salary to not buy the things I want.
Should have noted, I'm only frugal on myself, so that the wife and kids can have everything they want. We eat well, the kids have their afterschool activities and go on trips, my wife can go out with her friends, etc. My money mostly goes into retirement so I can retire at 50 once the kids go away to college. One more promotion and I can live a bit more leisurely. So maybe another few years of being frugal. lol

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
I make money. I spend money. I didn’t work my way into a comfortable salary to not buy the things I want. I also have no kids, only 1 car payment, a mortgage that’s 1/3 of what it was a few years ago, etc. We only live once. Live it up!
I have lived in the same house I bought 13 years ago at a very reasonable price. I have a job that, for all its flaws, does pay me well at this stage. Despite the kids :ROFLMAO:

I have the money, that's not the problem.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,598 Posts
Bryan, I bet you would be shocked to find out what another company might offer you for salary. 2-4% annual raises over 20 years isn’t going to keep up.

I’ve stayed in the same role, but moved companies, for 20-40% raises. This has happened more than once, and mirrors the experiences of my colleagues.

EDIT: Didn’t mean to give the impression that I’m picking on you. Literally everybody should be checking their market value every couple of years. Yes, that means brushing up your resume and applying to 3-5 different positions at other companies.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
Bryan, I bet you would be shocked to find out what another company might offer you for salary. 2-4% annual raises over 20 years isn’t going to keep up.

I’ve stayed in the same role, but moved companies, for 20-40% raises. This has happened more than once, and mirrors the experiences of my colleagues.

EDIT: Didn’t mean to give the impression that I’m picking on you. Literally everybody should be checking their market value every couple of years. Yes, that means brushing up your resume and applying to 3-5 different positions at other companies.
Based on what I know about internal hires here, you're shorting yourself hugely by not moving around. But we've been over this all.
I don't think you guys are picking on me. I'm honestly just scared of trying to sell myself for a job and find out no one's interested, if I were to try to put words to it. I make enough money that I shouldn't be worried about spending it and yet I am. I always have been, even before kids. The reason why I can tell you exactly what the two grown-up presents to myself when I got my job (besides my first Miata) is because I really haven't bought myself much meaningful stuff over the years.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,598 Posts
Two separate issues, my man. If you apply out, literally the worse case situation is that you stay where you are at your current salary. But even that is unlikely - I assure you, there is market demand for developers.

Whether or not you’ll be comfortable spending with a higher salary is a different issue altogether. Better to have the money though, right?

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,636 Posts
This is like the perfect example of needing to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Or just pretend you are your parents age and work the same job until you die pissing and moaning the whole way. Whatever.

18821 - 18840 of 19065 Posts