ClubRoadster.net banner
18841 - 18860 of 19065 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
Two separate issues, my man.
I know. I thought that was being missed.
If you apply out, literally the worse case situation is that you stay where you are at your current salary. But even that is unlikely - I assure you, there is market demand for developers.
There probably is. One thing we've gone over in therapy is most of the time, the fear I have for a given failure is far out of proportion to actual danger level of that failure.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
This is like the perfect example of needing to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Or just pretend you are your parents age and work the same job until you die pissing and moaning the whole way. Whatever.
My dad was about as old as I am now when he had his first heart attack. Thank goodness the first time, I was young enough that I didn't really understand what was going on.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,183 Posts
I'm honestly just scared of trying to sell myself for a job and find out no one's interested
Like mentioned, there will always be demand for developers. But either way, I think putting yourself out there is pretty exciting. On a positive side, you find out what demand there is for you and what your options are. On a negative side, you find out what companies are looking for and know where to improve if you want to open up your options - which isn't really a negative at all.

I've now in charge of my office, so I have to do the interviewing, and I've learned so much from being part of an interview panel, that I would love to apply all of the experience into interviewing with other companies. So much stuff I was bad at before where I now recognize I needed improvement.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
Like mentioned, there will always be demand for developers.
Admittedly, being part of a project where I'm the only non-contractor I'm going to hear from in a given day and that the greetings at any meeting someone might have remembered to invite me to start with "good morning and good evening", my feelings on that idea are not exactly optimistic. I've become eerily comfortable with a deep Indian accent.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,636 Posts
I have a vendor happy hour after work. Will start the game there and finish at home. I hope they don’t expect to actually engage during the game. I got priorities, hoes.

I’m starting the hiring process for the first time in my new manager role. Our hoops are so complex to jump through that we bring almost everyone in as contractor and then work to convert. It’s just easier. It’s also really hard to find people willing to be on site M-F from 9-5. Welcome to 1950.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,598 Posts
Admittedly, being part of a project where I'm the only non-contractor I'm going to hear from in a given day and that the greetings at any meeting someone might have remembered to invite me to start with "good morning and good evening", my feelings on that idea are not exactly optimistic. I've become eerily comfortable with a deep Indian accent.
Outsourcing will ALWAYS be a part of the equation, particularly for maintenance / level 1 support tasks. If you pigeonhole yourself and do not expand your skill set, you’ll realize that fear. A bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy…

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Especially now that remote is so common! Before remote, I held the few existing positions in my area for what I do. 2 of them had me commuting 50miles 1 way. Going 50 miles in the other direction kind of opened another market but didn't explore it as much. Now I'm making larger market money with my skillset and don't have those additional costs. Will do this job for at least another year and see what the growth options are. Really looking to make 50% more than I am now. And think I could achieve that if I go larger corporate like IBM or Amazon. Just need more time under my belt with current title to get there.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
Weather outside is matching my mood today. Wish I'd have opened the curtains (or just looked up the weather) before I promised the kids we'd go to the pool.

Oh well.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,183 Posts
Especially now that remote is so common! Before remote, I held the few existing positions in my area for what I do. 2 of them had me commuting 50miles 1 way. Going 50 miles in the other direction kind of opened another market but didn't explore it as much. Now I'm making larger market money with my skillset and don't have those additional costs. Will do this job for at least another year and see what the growth options are. Really looking to make 50% more than I am now. And think I could achieve that if I go larger corporate like IBM or Amazon. Just need more time under my belt with current title to get there.
Each promotion I get in my company is essentially a $40k raise if I take it one step at a time. I think my boss is almost at the age of retiring, so I plan to just steal his position. I could probably guestimate I'd get two promotions within 10 years but I'll still be stuck in management.

If I could get a lot of cloud and developer experience with Microsoft Azure, I could get out of management and just be an IT expert at the same starting pay rate as my boss and pretty much have infinity doors open, without having to manage people, do overtime or odd hours during network maintenances, etc. Thats the direction I'm aiming for at least. Can always fall back on my boss's job. lol

Weather outside is matching my mood today. Wish I'd have opened the curtains (or just looked up the weather) before I promised the kids we'd go to the pool.

Oh well.
I took a half day today so I could open my pool............also forgot to check weather. :ROFLMAO: I got such a late start this year,at least I'm going to have a ton of leftover chemicals for next year.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
Admittedly, a little disillusioned with IT. Too much buzzword bingo. No one actually does anything, but everyone sure likes to hear themselves talk.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,183 Posts
Admittedly, a little disillusioned with IT. Too much buzzword bingo. No one actually does anything, but everyone sure likes to hear themselves talk.
That sums up smaller places that have the 1 person or office that does it all. One person walking around as the system administrator, really only doing some desktop troubleshooting and active directory changes - but is in charge of the mailbox, servers, local network, and domain controllers and doesn't know anything about them. Tickets sit in their queue for months going unresolved. Reminds me of IT departments at colleges that have students interning and doing the work for them. lol

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
That sums up smaller places that have the 1 person or office that does it all.
There's plenty of that, too--mostly in the most critical positions (especially on the mainframe side of things).

We suffer from a preponderance of Scrum Masters, Product Owners, Project Managers, Team Managers, etc.

No one actually codes anything because a.) we're all too busy doing paperwork or b.) we outsourced it to a company who also seems to suffer the same huge overhead.

It's a wonder anything ever gets done. I can think of at least 2-3 people who'd have been solely responsible for running the company into the ground were it not for the pandemic (which unlike everyone else, was mana from Heaven business-wise).

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,183 Posts
I just found out that Bring a Trailer is THE place to look for deals on higher end cars. With them over pricing all the vehicles that one would expect to be affordable, I thought it would be the opposite.

Volvo 240 wagon which one might expect to go for $3k ends up going for $13k. But a AMG GTR Pro which is readily found for around $250k sells for $190k or AMG GTS which normally go for around $90k is sold several times in the 70s and 80s. Jaguar F Type SVR sold in the 60s (normally dont see below mid 70s). And these are all post covid sale prices.

We suffer from a preponderance of Scrum Masters, Product Owners, Project Managers, Team Managers, etc.
Too many chiefs, not enough Indians? Is tbis still okay to say in 2022? 😂

·
Registered
825 Posts
Finally hired a new guy at work so we were back to only being short one person. Then my manager gave his notice and the new guy decided to bounce after two days. Should be an interesting time. Hopefully some opportunity for advancement comes from it at least.

4Runner decided to wipe out the outside edge of one tire. Nbd the tires aren't that expensive I'll throw a pair at it. When I bought these tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3W) I paid $120ea. Now they're $218. Guess I should have bought a spare then 😂

Just noticed the miata also needs tires pretty soon, among some other maintenance things. I also agreed to buy a broken Subaru for winter purposes, so that'll be a project as well. Why am I like this?

·
Mufasa in Training
34,804 Posts
Found out my manager is leaving for a new role. I suspected something was up when he called a team meeting for all the teams he's in charge of.

Writing's on the wall. Doesn't help that my work lappy decided to bork itself during an update.

Oh, and here is your new buzzword of the day, invented by me: "Islanding"

18841 - 18860 of 19065 Posts