ClubRoadster.net banner
19561 - 19580 of 19650 Posts

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,252 Posts
Had fun this past weekend. Went to Water Country USA and then the beach. Decided the beach sucks if you have kids. The water is too cold for them to want to get in and then you have to deal with sand and salt the whole time too. Going back to Water Country this weekend and Busch Gardens for some theme park fun. I knew we got guess passes per membership that we bought, but evidently we get free guest passes for august as well and free beers. Things are looking up. lol

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Had fun this past weekend. Went to Water Country USA and then the beach. Decided the beach sucks if you have kids. The water is too cold for them to want to get in and then you have to deal with sand and salt the whole time too. Going back to Water Country ...
I have the exact opposite thought. Water Country is too crowded (though it has been at least a decade since I've been). You're piling the entire family under some shitty umbrella on a crowded concrete pad to wait in line for a 10second slide or take a dip in the gross sweat water wave pool. Beach on the other hand, the only battle is keeping the kids out of the water long enough to reapply sunscreen and them not get toasted and ruin the next few days. We spent a LOT of time at Busch and Water Country when I was growing up. My parents are from there and still have family in the Yorktown area.

Reactions: Bryan

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,252 Posts
I have the exact opposite thought. Water Country is too crowded (though it has been at least a decade since I've been). You're piling the entire family under some shitty umbrella on a crowded concrete pad to wait in line for a 10second slide or take a dip in the gross sweat water wave pool. Beach on the other hand, the only battle is keeping the kids out of the water long enough to reapply sunscreen and them not get toasted and ruin the next few days. We spent a LOT of time at Busch and Water Country when I was growing up. My parents are from there and still have family in the Yorktown area.
You don't have kids tho do you? Do you know how sensative toddlers and babies are to cold water? Or how much siblings want to fling sand at each other and all over your seating area? How difficult it is to remove said sand when you get back to your car and store it all away without making your car a sandy mess where the sand will stay in the car for decades to come? lol Way too much trouble for a beach that doesn't even have surfable waves.

We went on a Saturday and only skipped a couple of rides due to long lines. For the most part, there was plenty of room. Always able to find chairs at the different pools. Had a picnic pad laid down next to one of the kid zones. Had several rides we were able to walk all the way up to the top level without a line. The one complaint I had was for "Vanishing Point" - the slide and tube that drops you straight down for 300 ft. The slide had no line at all. We walked straight to the top and got in and dropped down. My daughter wanted to try the tube so we walked back up and there wasn't a line until maybe the 2nd flight of stairs from the top, but goddamn did the line move slow as heck. I mean, if only it had moved at a reasonable rate.

Turkey leg was huge and fed the family. The kids had their snacks at the bottom of the baby bag. We all had a blast.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,459 Posts
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Trip computer Car

Happy 260k mile birthday to this pile of misery that is somehow my only functional car. I bought it a birthday present consisting of a new 3.46:1 diff, new diff bushings, a shifter rebuild kit, and given the CEL that popped on at 260,001 miles I guess I'm buying a new OEM MAF as well.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Also props to BMW for making the worst blue ever that just looks black 99% of the time. Taking suggestions on repaint colors once I figure out how to use my paint gun.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
You don't have kids tho do you? Do you know how sensative toddlers and babies are to cold water? Or how much siblings want to fling sand at each other and all over your seating area? How difficult it is to remove said sand when you get back to your car and store it all away without making your car a sandy mess where the sand will stay in the car for decades to come? lol Way too much trouble for a beach that doesn't even have surfable waves.
2 boys. 6 and 9. When my 6 was < 2, he HATED the beach. If he touched sand or water he screamed bloody murder. So I can understand that. He loves it now. Beach sand is a bitch in vehicles. My parents moved a few miles from the beach so our beach vacations is just going to their house. They have a golf cart that we use to get to the beach. So sand/salt/wet kids is not an issue.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,252 Posts
2 boys. 6 and 9. When my 6 was < 2, he HATED the beach. If he touched sand or water he screamed bloody murder. So I can understand that. He loves it now. Beach sand is a bitch in vehicles. My parents moved a few miles from the beach so our beach vacations is just going to their house. They have a golf cart that we use to get to the beach. So sand/salt/wet kids is not an issue.
I still love visiting Va Beach (friends) , Norfolk (food) , and Yorktown (driving), but yea the beach itself has been a steadily declining attraction for me. It used to get 3-4 ft waves on the average and 6-10ft waves during storms. Now it has 1ft waves that don't break until shore. I can make bigger waves in my own pool for the kids to float over. lol Chicks Beach (on inlet side of va beach) doesn't even get public parking anymore, so I can't take them to the inlet where the kids can walk out 50 ft and still touch the ground.

·
Resident BMW Apologist
3,363 Posts
Happy 260k mile birthday to this pile of misery that is somehow my only functional car. I bought it a birthday present consisting of a new 3.46:1 diff, new diff bushings, a shifter rebuild kit, and given the CEL that popped on at 260,001 miles I guess I'm buying a new OEM MAF as well.
Also props to BMW for making the worst blue ever that just looks black 99% of the time. Taking suggestions on repaint colors once I figure out how to use my paint gun.
What is that, Orient Blue?

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,692 Posts
My investments have tried to return to their former glory. Well. Former slightly less sad selves anyway. I want more dollars. My mortgage company says my home value jumped a lot too tho. Feels weird but whatever.

19561 - 19580 of 19650 Posts