ClubRoadster.net banner
19621 - 19640 of 20375 Posts

·
1000% Jake
5,559 Posts
Man... The Porsche finally managed to beat me in the afternoon after I left on Sunday.

I just want to point out that I ran a 59.7 after just six runs in the morning session, while he went for 13 runs with a break in between. It's usually not that hard to pick up a second or so in the afternoon after taking a break and letting the car cool, and thinking about the course.

Oh well, should have taken one more run in the morning and tried to find another second. I ran 60 seconds with a passenger, so a 58 should have been possible.

I love this car. I know it's faster than almost anything, I just need to level up my skills even more.

67.274; 64.084; 63.098; 61.308; 60.505; (59.786);

I love that progression. No cones all day. Consistency almost perfect. I'm happy.

·
Mufasa in Training
35,135 Posts
Just happy to hear you being positive and taking a win without a bunch of reasons why it's not really a win 😄
Thank you. My therapist and I were just discussing today how I need to bring that attitude home with me, so to speak. All that confidence and problem solving ability is something that doesn't just disappear when I come home--or at least it shouldn't.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Option 3: sell all your beaters and buy one, new, reliable car.
All of my car stuff is paid for by making youtube videos. Sure, I'm spending a new car payment on my old cars, but the money I'm spending wouldn't exist without the old cars to supply a drip stream of content. Thus the vicious cycle continues.

Anyways I bought Miata parts.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
10,761 Posts
How’d you pop the motor again? And are you sure it’s dead? I don’t remember. Does this mean 2.5 swap?

Is it wrong to kinda want a new job again? Just found out my almost peer is leaving to make a mint at Microsoft plus a $50k signing bonus on the first check and wicked stock options. Jelly.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
How’d you pop the motor again? And are you sure it’s dead? I don’t remember. Does this mean 2.5 swap?
Idk. Revs? Got sideways out of my neighborhood (engine was up to temp) and two blocks later it was making knock knock jokes.

2.5 is purchased. Ancillaries are not. Friend who has done the swap before is going to help me do it at his shop with lifts but it's gotta wait till winter.

EDIT: The funny part is the engine was cheaper than the clutch. or the radiator. or the motor mounts. or literally any other major component that is also required to future proof this because I'm only doing this nonsense once.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Lol I can't imagine thinking you'll only do one 2.5 swap. Good luck dude!
don't put that evil on me.

Right after I clicked "order" on Miata stuff i went out to tinker with the maxima and the timing chain tensioner prompty shat itself.

Cool and good.

·
100% stoke-adelic
8,532 Posts
Less stressed more durable engine that costs 1/10th what a good 2.0 costs. Friend has one that does nothing but get the **** beat out of it on track for the last two years and it has yet to skip a beat. I guess he does road trip it sometimes, which sounds ABSOLUTELY miserable (no cruise, sparco bucket seat, ohlins, etc.).

I paid $370 for my engine and it has 30k miles. The galaxy-brain move is buying an NC with a blown engine and dropping said $370 Ford Fusion motor in it.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Why would yours? It's an NB. The superior platform. 6 speed is skrong, I am sure you don't beat on it. Should be fine.

I continue to be rona negative despite many people I saw last week now being rona positive. Oh.. and despite my wife, who I have not isolated from, being rona positive lol.

·
Mufasa in Training
35,135 Posts
Why would yours? It's an NB. The superior platform. 6 speed is skrong, I am sure you don't beat on it. Should be fine.
I'm on a 5spd.

Honestly, I'm just concerned because the last two clutch changes did not go well. See build thread for details, but short version is that the first clutch didn't last long and the second one was adjusted so badly that the car would refuse to go into gear after being driven for a few minutes and parked. Also the car sounds like a diesel when idling with the AC on.

I'd really like to get an MR shifter, but man, that is spendy.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Clutch adjustment is just a nut and rod between the pedal and primary cylinder, quick and easy dude. Also I am assuming your primary and secondary clutch cylinders were new? One symptom of them going back is incomplete disengagement when hot, in my experience. I did the secondary cylinder in the driveway at the gap, the primary still needs to be done as holding it down will allow it to slowly engage again as it leaks passed the seals internally. I should maybe do that before Sebring next weekend..

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Lol oh, I forgot to mention, I also found a literal 10mm hex head bolt in my passenger side front tire.. in Atlanta. Drove it the rest of the way home and made it luckily. I developed a vibration in the front that I didn't love about half way through the event. I think that must have been it.

·
1000% Jake
5,559 Posts
Bryan your car should still have an idle adjustment screw? Otherwise replace your air filter for a tiny bit more flow, unless it's brand new.

Sorry about your clutch issues, but I have to say based on my experience it's almost impossible to destroy these engines. I even put way more power than you're supposed to through a five speed, nothing. Even the ones I've broken come apart looking pristine, with a single pretzel rod.

Nothing rides better than a +2k race suspension. I would road trip a car on ohlins. My biggest problem when driving the race car long distances is that it's so boring at highway speeds that I tend to get drowsy. Maybe something to do with wearing earplugs, idk.

19621 - 19640 of 20375 Posts