ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Runabouts just as I had received them in the box. The left mirror (LHD driver side) has a convex mirror while the right mirror is flat. Due to the mirror arrangement being designed for a RHD car, my line of sight is such that I have to turn my right (LHD pass side) mirror very far inward so that I can see the lane next to my car instead of the bushes on the road shoulder. This makes the mirror look turned in too far from an aesthetic perspective. I don't want to swap the actual glass because it is fragile and I don't want to mess up my rare and expensive mirrors.

Is it possible to switch the mirrors from one side of the car to the other and rotate each mirror on their housing 180 degrees so that they face the right way? I'm afraid to try because the mirrors are rather stiff on their bases (so they stay put after you adjust them) and I don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great Avatar!

Yes, The bases of the mirrors can be rotated so that you can swap them to the other side. The spring inside is a little stiff, so I suggest warming slightly with a hairdryer before turning the bases.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i also have the runabouts. it is actully not that hard to take the mirrors out and switch them.
1. take them off the car.
2. sit down and put unit between your legs for stability.
3. push mirror gently into the housing.
4. take out the rubber surround.
the mirror will then pop out!!! switch them around and then just push the mirror back inside the housing slip in the rubber surround and the mirror willsnap back into place.
j.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Whoa! Sweet tip!

Are they spring-loaded or something?

·
Registered
52 Posts
yep, the mirror is just glued to a spring. the spring pushes the mirror up against the rubber surround. there is no glue, only the surround holds the mirror, and the rubber surround is not glued either. the spring itself is not fixed to the back of the housing, it just sits in there. so the mirrors are completely swapable with minimal effort.
j.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Thanks for the extra details. That's really good to know!

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Time for some Runabouts Timmah!!!!

PhatMiata :twisted:
"Helping you spend your money, one-hundred dolla at a time"

·
Registered
52 Posts
let me ask you guys a question. what do you think about reversing the position of the runabouts (the left on the right/ right on the left) so they sit out and low, i.e. not "up" as in my pic where the are intalled as they are meant to be?

j.

p.s. sorry the pics are small, for some reason photobucket is resizing my pics. anyone know why?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't want them stuck out into the wind any further than absolutely necessary - they might be more succeptible to damage from the stone chips, drive thru windows, passers by in parking lots, etc.

But just for the heck of it why don't you try it? Be sure to report back with a photo showing how it looks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i just did!!!!! don't do it. just wasted an hour!!!! switched them and tryed every combo in that position. looks cool but unfortunatly you can't see a thing!!!!! mirrors don't turn in all the way.
so there is the answer!!!
j.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You win some, you lose some. It wasn't an hour wasted, it was an hour playing with your Miata.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
DOH!!!!!!! i was gonna try the same thing when i got mine, but realized they have a limit on the angle of movement

Sorry i missed this post, i coulda saved you an hour.

Phatty 8)

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I swapped the glass in mine. It's not hard, you just have to be careful because there is some decent spring force and the reflective coating on the back of the glass is very fragile. I managed to chip a small portion of this reflective coating along the edge of the glass but fortunately the rubber gasket hides it when installed. The swap is an improvement but my passenger side mirror still needs to be turned rather far inwards to get a decent field of view so not much improvement in that respect. At least the mirror housings are really round and no one else notices this but me.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
You guys are straying off topic! :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
fredomgli, which model runabouts did you end up getting? from hyper rev vol. 73, they have several mirrors. i'm assuming you have the M2 mirrors?

great thread...something i probably would have realized after installing...thanks!

kepani

1 - 20 of 28 Posts