ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cars running sort of hot, its a 99 1.8L etc. My thermostat went out a few months ago and I changed that with a 192-degree unit and changed the coolant. had it running for a while and the fan kicked on, I thought the problem was solved. Now the fan never seems to turn on after the engines been running, any ideas?

Would wiring the fan to a switch be a viable option? It does seem to be getting power

I have AC too, not currently working, do plan on ditching it as I've never used it, could I run the fans parallel without putting stress on the relays?

Any opinions would be great.

·
Registered
339 Posts
fan is most likely dead. It happens, just get another fan. But word of warning, DO NOT buy a cheap made fan off ebay. They suck and I went through 2 of them before getting a used fan from a salvage yard.

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
bad fans are pretty rare. I'm not sure how to run a test on a NB, but on my 95 you can jumper the TFA and GND in the junction box. Also....unhook each fan connector and hook up a + and - to a extra car battery, you might have to scavenge for some extra wire and a wire striper, atleast that way you'll know the "true" condition of the fans.
Do a little Trouble shooting, you'll save some $$ in the long run.
good luck, jp

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running hot, need help.

Okay, got the new radiator fan in the car, and took it for a drive, still not coming on though, is it the fact that I have a 192 degree thermostat in there or something else? what are the two relays for behind the drivers headlight? AC? headlights?

Any help or ideas would be great, as I am not quite ready to take it to someone yet. Getting there though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
diagnose for voltage feed first. like they advised, try feeding power to the fan motor itself. if the fan comes on, then check for the power feed to it as the problem does not lie there. check to make sure no blown fuses too. and see if your fan switch is not bad. that can give problems too and should be replaced in conjunction with the thermostat.

got a buddy with same car that you can simply borrow his/her fan switch from? they're usually placed on thermostat housings.

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
On later model cars the thermo-switch tells the ECU to turn the fans on....early model cars like my 90 have a thermo-switch that make the circuit. Also, when the a/c is turned on, both fans should come on.
Your old fans were probably good, you should of spent some $$ and bought a factory service manual and a cheap volt meter. You can continue to throw parts at the problem, and you might get lucky and fix it, or you could do some trouble shooting.
Good luck.
The two relays are probably your fan relays, they could be bad,but like I said buy a volt meter and check things out, you'll save a lot of money in the long run.

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
So next its the relays and fan switch then.
Might be....might not. could be the wiring between the components. Relays are about 16-20 bucks a piece. The temp switch on the back of the block can be a real biatch to change, but it's easy to check out with a Volt Meter. Same goes for the relays.

I can't suggest enough the use of some good trouble shooting skills. I work as an aircraft mechanic, parts cost mega bucks. I can spend a little extra time trouble shooting the problem or I can throw a part at it. Throwing parts at the problem are seldom the solution and money is wasted.
My 2cents.

·
Registered
592 Posts
So next its the relays and fan switch then.
Might be....might not. could be the wiring between the components. Relays are about 16-20 bucks a piece. The temp switch on the back of the block can be a real biatch to change, but it's easy to check out with a Volt Meter. Same goes for the relays.

I can't suggest enough the use of some good trouble shooting skills. I work as an aircraft mechanic, parts cost mega bucks. I can spend a little extra time trouble shooting the problem or I can throw a part at it. Throwing parts at the problem are seldom the solution and money is wasted.
My 2cents.
So what you're saying is he should get a volt meter.

Sorry couldn't resist- sometimes you can just give advice~ if the recipient doesn't want to follow it it's on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts