ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
replace panel.

can't replace panel?

cut out the rusted area, weld in a repair patch.

no welder?

cut out area (if small) and glass it over.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
^^^ pretty much what he said, theres lots of rust nuetralizer stuff out there, just go to parts store and look around

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Dman. That's expensive. Junkyard Dog picked up an earlier 320is that had run into a brick mailbox for $200 and drove it back to Knoxville from RSpeed after we put new tires on it and adjusted the door with a crowbar so it would close.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
There is nothing that will truly "neutralize" rust or stop it dead in its tracks. If you can't replace the panel or weld in new sheet metal (which will eventually rust again) the best you can hope for is to convert your standard issue iron oxide to a more stable oxide that slows down the decay process. Everybody has their favorite: POR-15, Naval Jelly, Eastwood Rust Converter and Encapsulator, etc.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It can be saved. The real question is do you want to save it? Rust in the rockers is common in cars that are driven year round or have clogged sill drains or top drains. In your case I'd say the rust is severe enough that you'd be best off cutting out the rusty metal and replacing it with clean metal.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
i had a hole in my passenger rocker in front of the rear wheel. it was, fortunately, in the black area. i ground it down and trimmed back the metal a bit. i put a por-15 like substance on it. i glassed over the hole, sanded it down, taped off the area and painted it black. i need to do some touch up on it, but no one notices it and it strong enough to use as a jack point. i will eventually replace the panel, but no one wanted to put in a horizontal patch. they wanted to replace the rear quarter and rocker.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
POR-15 for the win. That stuff REQUIRES rust to bond properly to the surface it's being used to treat. It cures to a coating stronger than paint or powdercoat.

Bad ass stuff. =D>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts