ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else get S2000 envy when they see one? To use a Clarkson metaphor, whenever I stop next to one at a light I feel like im taking a pee next to a horse. I know they cost twice as much as my NB, and are really in a different bracket... but somehow I still feel that they are a better version of my pe-erhm car.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
They are very cool cars but im happy with my Miata. They have an almost too polished feel for me though. I dont know if you can understand where im comming from here but I guess I just like the grassroots feel of my NA more so.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
^ what leatherface said.

plus, with the miata, since it's cheap, i dont feel bad if i beat up on it. or mod it. theoritically, it'll also allow me to push it more on the track since i have less to worry about.

finally, i have so much fun with it, a $32k (or $25k used) car that would be used for the same purposes hardly seems worth it! i get more bang for my buck with the miata. :)

edit: typo :oops:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the polished feeling. In some places I really like it, like the transmission. But everywhere else it gets boring, I feel like my NB is too sane as it is... But god damn the F20C is a masterpiece.

S2Ks are a way cheaper then $25K used, you can get the early ones for $16K.

Your not helping JDMAflac....

I wonder if a Honda dealership would let me take on for a test drive? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The grass is ALWAYS greener, man.

This AM i drove the S2000 back to Seattle for work. This meant parking the Miata for the remainder of the week or 2 until I get back home.

A guy in a modded firstgen Miata bombed past me on my way north, and my only thought? "damnit, i should have driven the Miata. he looks like he's having FUN".

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I did the same thing back in 00. I bought a Miata because I couldn't afford an S. Now that I bought the S, i'm so glad I didn't sell the Miata to do so.

They're both so much fun in different ways. I'd never consider the Miata less than or less of an S2000.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This august i had to make a decision, Mazdaspeed Miata or 02 S2k. I am a honda fanatic. I absolutely love the looks, the engine, the transmission of the s2k. Driving it was amazing. But then i drove the MSM. In my opinion, at the 18k out the door price i was able to get it for, it had way more bang for the buck. Much better suspension and handling, braking was just as good, transmission was not quite as nice as the s2k, and I miss reving to 9k like my old integra, but none the less, i am quite happy. Maybe when the 04+ s2k's with the f22c and the refined suspension become less expensive I may consider purchasing one, but for now I am quite content with my Mazdaspeed. Plus, the limited production numbers of the MSM help keep the value of these cars slightly better than a normal NB.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the S2K. It's the best looking roadster out there IMO.

With that said, when all is said and done, my car will be well faster than most S2K's for less than you can buy one of them used.

If I wanted a polished roadster, i would have picked up an NB or NC. But I chose the NA because of it's raw driving feel, which you will not get with an S2k

·
Registered
420 Posts
Does anybody else get S2000 envy when they see one?
Not really, I couldn't stand waiting for VTEC to kick in.

The only time I get envy when I see a Porsche 930 Slant Nose Turbo Cabriolet

·
Registered
332 Posts
just like CE said...i love s2k's but it's just out of my budget...sooner or later i will mostlikely get one...because i'm in love with drop tops cause i dont know about everybody on here but when i'm emo...just driving with the top off makes me feel better..yeah kinda gay but o well..

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
It'd be interesting to take one and "de-sensitize" it. Take out some amenities, trim down the interior, make it more spartan. Almost like taking a NC and making it like an NA (on the inside, at least). I think with a little thinking and ingenuity the S2K could come close to that simple roadster feel the NA just oozes.

That said, I've always had a place for them. Who knows, maybe my garage will too, someday. If I wanted a second car there's no doubt what it'd be. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I dunno man, my S has very similar amenities to my Miata. Hell, it doesn't even have headrest speakers. About all I can think you'd remove would be the motors for the roof and they'd be on equal footing. :)

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Dunno, I don't actually like that many Japanese cars that were made in the last 20 years! - Roadster, RX7, first CRX, maybe that's it. I don't like any of the other big turbo things.

If I was to spend enough money to buy a S2k, I'd rather go for a 911SC or 240Z.

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, I've been overly-happy with my NA, but, since that diff blew, I'm envious of anyone driving a roadster.... :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts