ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only about a year into this Roadster thing and here is something I don't get.

Most nights my headlights are normal. You turn them on, the doors pop up and the lights come on. You turn them off and the lights go off and the doors go down.

But evey once in a while, something else happens. Like tonight.

I leave work, the lights come on, no problem. I get home and turn off the lights but the doors stay up. I hit that button in the middle of the dash--sometimes that changes things. But nothing. The doors say up.

I walk away. Twenty minutes later I take out the trash and the doors are still up.

I come back two hours later and now the head light doors have gone down. No one has gone near the car.

What the he'll is this? Are there gremlins in the damn car? Seems like the things have a mind of their own.

·
Registered
799 Posts
it wanted to stay awake and didnt want to go to sleep yet.

but twibs415 is correct, its your headlight motor relay. it will get worst to the point where your headlights have a mind of its own and goes up and down WHILE driving....worst experience i ever had when i was driving in the rain and the car next to me looking at me like im possessed.

The relay depending on your year is differnt from 1990-93 and 94-02

·
Registered
747 Posts
You're in luck, it may not be your relay. The switch in the center that controls the headlights may be bad. I have one that came with a replacement radio surround which does what you're describing. I've since replaced it with my original switch. To check, get the lights to stay up and then press the hazard button. If they go down, it's the switch. Much easier than swapping the relay.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ThaiT's experience sounds scary. Is replacing the relay hard?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts