ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I removed my spare tire/Jack. And now this saving weight has become addictive, as it actually aids preformance. Removing P/S belt has removed a little bit of load on the engine. Same goes with less unsprung weight. The daisies(27lbs) vs the 15" (31lbs) has made this car much more lively.

Sad thing is that now I'm considering taking out the passenger seat, A/C system, depowering P/S, smaller battery. Some of these mods I sort of look forward to as they save weight and I like the new spunk my car has, but at the same time I'm giving up some comforts.

I took the P/S-A/C belt off a two months ago and I rarely think of P/S. And I only used A/C 3 times last yr and no more than 20mins. Plus it's a convertable! If it's warm enough for A/C, then might as well put the top down! (40-60*F year round, sadly weather is a bit bipolar here).

Same goes with Cruise control. I tried it once and that's it.
The battery..I'd say I'm looking for something to run the radio 2hr+ 1 hr on reserve so I'm not killing the battery. I sometimes listen to the radio for an hour with the engine off. But that's all I can think of the battery doing.

I feel taking the passengers seat will disbalance the car. So it'll prob stay.

Comments? Recomendations? Ect?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your wheels weigh 31lbs, you need to be looking for some new wheels. Check out 6ULs, RP-F 1s, or even just the stock NB8A 15"s.

If you're not using the AC, you may as well remove the whole unit. That compressor has a lot of heft in it.

There's a tonne of weight in the carpets and sound deadening. Go crazy with that as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If your wheels weigh 31lbs, you need to be looking for some new wheels. Check out 6ULs, RP-F 1s, or even just the stock NB8A 15"s.

If you're not using the AC, you may as well remove the whole unit. That compressor has a lot of heft in it.

There's a tonne of weight in the carpets and sound deadening. Go crazy with that as well.
I think he meant wheel and tire combo. Daisies are more like 14 lbs for just the wheel.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. Just try to hold on to the parts you remove just in case you change your mind.

When I boosted my car I had to remove PS. I don't really miss it but since I live in florida, I refuse to delete my ac.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Yeah if you're not using AC or PS, pull the associated parts and you'll save a good amount of weight.

Keep going man! Ive become ridiculous with it as well.....my most recent removals are the washer bottle, cruise control, evap canister and the brackets/bolts associated with them. All that stuff weighed out to ~15 lbs! And thats with an empty washer bottle!

Grab some lightweight lugnuts from 949 racing too. Remove carpets, sound deadening, trunk carpets, soft top (get a hardtop), change the exhaust to lighter parts, change the intake and save some weight there too. There are lots of things you can do! Its up to you to decide where to stop

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
I'd recommend pulling all of the power steering bits. I actually prefer the depowered rack in my '90 over the power-assisted steering. The A/C, well...sucks not having it here, but in your area, might as well yank that, too. Amazing how much weight all of those pieces will remove from the car. Bonus is that you'll have some breathing room in the engine bay. :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seats are leather!!! No harming shall be done! Maybe drivers side. I wanna remove weight on that side to balance the car.

1.coolant reservoir will be moved back to the firewall and replaced with a nalgene bottle, as I don't think a erlenmyer flask will work. Because it's glass, and I'm fiddling of ways to secure it, but I'd rather have that ;-) think 500ml would be enough?

2.windshield washer pump- I use a tube to make it work like the coolant reservoir?

3. Any electricians out there? I'm thinking of running a yellow brand ytz10s motorcycle batt.
Wt is 7lbs. 220CCA, ~8.6amp-hrs

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
I have no idea how you are driving with your pump and lines still attached but no belts. I did that to "test" no PS and it is X1000 harder. A depowered rack is much better.

Air bags, heat shields, wiring you don't use, soft top, radio and all attached, arm rests on the door, carpet and such in the trunk.

Losing weight is the most fun, you get to be creative.

Edit: I saw a few people on MT running motorcycle batteries in their DDs.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
What's the CCA? Most light batteries are also light on power.; believe it or not. :rolleyes:

Saving 25lbs isn't anything special.
That's over 1%, not negligible when it adds up. I agree though, sort of pointless unless you go all the way with everything else.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's over 1%, not negligible when it adds up. I agree though, sort of pointless unless you go all the way with everything else.
Exactly. Do the free stuff (no carpets, depower, no AC, etc.), before you buy a pointless batteries.

Lose 25lbs: hella performance. :woolery:

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Ive done most of the free stuff. Working on depowering my rack now and considering pulling the carpet. Might just pull the sound deadening and put the carpets back in

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
no carpets get HOT as hell. all the heat from the trans and engine bay transfer into the firewall and floorpan area and tranny housing. i talked to a guy with a white NA who stripped his whole interior. just be carful if you drive in sandals or flipflops or like some retards barefoot. it will **** you up

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pick up a second car as a DD with ac and then gut the **** out of it. Start shaving bolts and what not. I agree with Laguna96 don't pull carpet. It get's hot as **** and it's not fun frying your leg on the trans tunnel. If you have a dd I would gut the everything.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts