ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have followed my other thread, you've probably seen my other car, Scooby.

I've had a great time really focusing on my driving with Scooby and attending Miata Challenge events. However, the next step for me is wheel to wheel racing, specifically SuperMiata. With Scooby the process would be relatively simple, however, I just don't want to get the car all dinged up in W2W. I realized I would want to get another car for that type of driving.

Initially I had considered getting a pre-built Spec Miata with a 1.8, converting it to run E85 and I could make power for SuperMiata. The only problem with that was the cost to entry and to be honest, I didn't want someone else's project. Enter, Scrappy, the car that was so cheap it was practically free.

Now, Scrappy and I have some history. Scrappy was originally my father's over ten years ago. I also learned to drive a 5 speed in the very parking lot the photo above was taken with the car. My father sold Scrappy to a co-worker many years ago and recently he asked my dad if he knew anyone who would want a Miata. Knowing me well, my father mentioned me and I picked Scrappy up before he went to the pound.

However, Scrappy is definitely in a poor state considering the price. The soft top has deteriorated a lot, it has 209,000 miles on the short nose 1.6, everything is original but it passes smog, runs like a champ and even has a clean title!

The immediate goal with Scrappy will be gutting the car and making it light as possible. I plan on running some 15x8 wheels with Federal RSRs for rental purposes. Suspension will likely be some Bilstein shocks with eBay collars and some affordable sway. The goal is to keep this build as cheap as possible, free or donated parts are welcome. Project #1 will be gutting and painting the interior. I know ThePass is excited to get the angle grinder out and make things go away. If anyone needs interior parts they will be for sale soon!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Muahahahahaha can I start cutting now?

On a more serious note, this is going to be a fun project as the time and funds allow it to progress, and while we aren't planning on putting any baller stuff on it, having done everything before at this point should make it relatively easy to fast-lane this to a point where it can be a successful and fun car to rip around at autox and track days.

-Ryan

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Through the help of some guaranteed rentals at autocrosses in the next few months, Project Scrappy got a kick start today. To make the car rental worthy I decided it needed some suspension, wheels, tires & a bucket seat. Originally I had planned on getting some Bilstein shocks and doing DIY coilovers with them. However, two days ago I helped ThePass remove his DGR coilovers with 12k/7k springs. We worked a deal out and decided to tear into Scrappy today.

A little bit dirty, but they should get the job done. These coilovers should be MUCH better than the 209k OEM suspension.

Old vs. New to Scrappy:

I also commandeered the Team Dynamic wheels off the NB which ThePass uses as his daily. He's going to have the Red Dragon down for a few days and is going to utilize Scrappy at the autocross. There are 3 different kinds of tires mounted to these wheels, should make for an interesting ride.

A few hours and 2 fish burritos later, Scrappy had a new lease on life. Some how we got lucky on our initial height adjustments and the car was set with a perfect 1/4 inch rake. The initial test drive was promising too, the coilovers were far less harsh without the packards ThePass was forced to run to keep the shocks from bottoming out with his aero.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Well that was a fun day. Sean came over to chat about our "plans" for Scrappy, a few hours later it's sitting on coilovers and spec miata wheels...

I'm happy to see the DGR's find their way to a car that can utilize them well for what they are. My car just needed far too much from them and they couldn't deliver. On a non-aero car with street tires just trying to create perma-smiles at the autocross for low bucks, I think it's going to do the job perfectly.

I predict despite our resolution to keep the car simple and low-budget, we're going to inadvertently end up with something that can make M3's look bad in the right hands ;)

For the record, the team dynamics are just on loan. I hoard wheels lol
-Ryan

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very nice, a very lazarus kind of build I like it.
That is the idea, I want to keep this from impeding on the normal track budget. It will very likely receive a similar duck tail spoiler as Lazarus has!

I predict despite our resolution to keep the car simple and low-budget, we're going to inadvertently end up with something that can make M3's look bad in the right hands ;)

For the record, the team dynamics are just on loan. I hoard wheels lol
Once it gets some sticky tires on 15x8's and with a tiny bit more power it'll be able to. How many sets of wheels are you up to, 4 or 5? ;-)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
So this is the state of my house right now:

Scrappy (center) just had the throwout bearing, clutch, and flywheel replaced yesterday. Then today I made a test pipe for it. Now in the garage is a friend's widebody/turbo drift miata that I'm making a 3" exhaust for. That car's current 2.5" exhaust is being pulled and going straight onto happy little Scrappy. My daily NB is watching from the curb, wishing it could get in on the action ;)

Yes, I got on the roof for this shot... too many miatas to fit in the frame otherwise!

-Ryan

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In addition to the test pipe (going to snap some photos later), I decided to ditch the disgusting 20 year old interior and give Scrappy a make over. After removing the seats to swap in my passenger side bucket seat from my other car, I found the old carpet was not remotely salvageable. Here is a picture of the carnage:

After some love with Walmart branded orange clean and a shop vac, Scrappy has a slight cleaner lease on life. When the cage install happens, the interior will definitely receive a new coat of paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts