ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen most of the posts on here and a lot of the cars seem to be running with turbochargers instead of superchargers.

I've got a 99 with JR45, two additional injectors welded into the crossover, Link ECU, and a couple of other engine mods right now, and my car seems to be on par with the regular turbo systems. I'm working on getting the intercooler, new pulleys, PowerCard Fuel management, as well as some other goodies and it will push the output to 200+ at the wheels. Once I have the money, I'm switching to the MP62 unless the new Rotrex is available for the 99 by then, and with some more work will be close to 300 hp.

So, what's the story? Why is the turbo so appealing to everybody?

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I went with the greddy because it was cheap or else i would of like to go BRP.

Some pros:
-runs off exhaust gases
-more head room/potential
-different strokes for different folks
-easy to make power

Cons:
-lag (fixed with more efficient turbo/ball-bearing)
-HP/TQ line/curve (can be adjusted/tuned)

edit**this all depends on what you have in mind with your miata.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
i got my first s/c setup with intercooler, 450cc injectors, safc and tuned for $1000. I simply couldnt pass it up. The s/c just seemed to fit my driving style and works great for drifting. I have not looked back since. Im really wanting to see how the new JR's do though.

Oh, i have only owned 1.8L cars though. On a 1.6 the s/c is not so hot and most people go turbo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe that's what it is. I see a lot of NAs on here, so maybe it's just because of that everybody is going with turbo setups. I love my SC, and once I finish my work on it, and start working on internals, I'm not getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't want to keep belts in the trunk, more power with less load on the engine if the system is designed right, and the ability to evolve with the twist of a knob.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose, but if you get the right parts and take care of the car, you don't have to worry about where your set. My issue with turbos is the tuning time. They require much more tuning than the supercharger; take a JR PowerCard with Link Piggyback, and you have all the fuel mapping you need, plus a timing control unit if you really need it and your set. Even with the additional injectors, I haven't had much trouble with my setup.

I get the belts thing though, I ripped two in one weekend because my tensioner had a shot bearing and kept shredding belts, but since that was replaced it's no big deal.

As far as the power goes, I haven't seen any real differences between the stage 3 SC and stage 3 turbo rigs, and once the Rotrex is released there won't be many turbo MX5s that will run with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's not much out there right now for it. JR's website talks about it a bit, but Gary at TDR told me he's getting one soon, if not already, for testing over the next 6 or 7 months. I don't know what's it's application really is since there isn't much information on it, whether or not it will fit on older Miatas or only the new 2005+ ones.

Basically, it's a centrifugal type SC with virtually unlimited boost application, I think at least up to 35 psi, which is adjustable depending on your needs.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
they are better...that's why.

they make more torque
they can easily be sized per application
setups are easier
most effective boost control
they make less heat
typically utilize the most efficient heat management (FMIC)
can be built cheap
no "loss" from belts

the word lag is retarded....if you put a bigger turbo on it, expect it to spool slower....meaning full boost at 5k vs 3-4K, what does that mean? well your low-end suffers a bit, however, full boost at 5K is better than most superchargers. Then comes 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gears.....as soon as you shift and hit the gas again, the turbo should be fully spooled. In less than 1 sec I see a full 12psi again during shifting....I wouldn't call that lag.

Lag is the biggest argument against turbos...however a GT2554R can make a good 210-250rwhp and will have ZERO boost threshold...compared to a m45 it will make more torque/hp throughout the entire RPMs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great reason. Everybody around me is a turbo-nut and keeps telling me to switch, but I seem to shut them up behind the wheel. If I had the money to upgrade and finish the car up, people wouldn't be touting turbos on these cars so much.

So why are they better, or is that all for your reason?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
im assuming you have a JR by your name, any idea on what HP, Tq your using?

EDIT: just read your first post, and I would like to be impressed because when I rode in a JR I was not very impressed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used to own a JR, and the problem with the M45, its VERY limited. There are people running the TDR $1095 intercooler setup and everything. (Pulleys, Timing controllers, Powercard/Elfs, I have even seen one with a link ecu in it.) And they barely break 185RWhp. I sold my JRSC, and went NA, so I could save money for a turbo setup. This was of course after I test drove a turbo'd one with about the same HP numbers as mine, just more torque. The only SC'd miata that I have ever seen break the 250HP mark, was the Big Gulp miata. I love the way the superchargers whine, but a turbo is so much more quiet and polite. (Unless you get a loud BOV) The exhaust is MUCH more quiet with a Turbo. My JR45 gave me a headache, and all I had exhaust wise was a JR CAT, and borla Catback. Just bang for your buck, ease of use, go turbo. Also it beats the hell outta having to change pulleys everytime you want to raise your boost.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
the delivery of the s/c's power is a bit more responsive than a turbo. the s/c is harder to get a lot of power, but i think it's a better solution for people who like to drive around the city or prefer to maintain the handling of the car. too much boost onset during cornering (like a turbo) can upset the handling. a s/c is easier to modulate.

·
4,296 Posts
i dont understand why you ask the same ? twice.
rev basically laid it out:
"they make more torque
they can easily be sized per application
setups are easier
they make less heat
typically utilize the most efficient heat management (FMIC)
can be built cheap
no "loss" from belts

besides i was under the impression that lbs for lbs of boost the turbo makes more hp and torque.
arent most typical sc setups limited to about 12 psi anyways?
as far as ease of tuning. a link with its base map really makes it simple.
boost control, might go to the sc , since its mechanically set and limited.boost control on a turbo is a pita
i have passed many a sc on track.i worry about other turbo setups tho.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
1. Reason. Go and look at all the top dogs in this forum and other forums to see who what set up makes more power overall.

To date, the highest horsepower level on a supercharged car goes to my friend Richard a/k/a Big Gulp. www.biggulp.net

·
Registered
37 Posts
any information about the Rotrex? If i get a miata, i might be interested in the Big Gulp

One reason being is that I dont really want to exceed 300 whp, and well... SuperChargers are much easier to install/maintain

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seeing as how you can still dump in more power than what Big Gulp puts out with just a WI system, unless he ran out of room he can get more out of it.

Jackson Racing is developing a new Roots-type supercharger for Miatas. Now, whether or not it for the new ones only, I don't know yet, but Gary at Track Dog Racing has supposedly gotten his hands on one is will be soon.

"The new Rotrex supercharger combines the throttle response of the Roots supercharger with the compressor efficiency of a turbo, but without the lag. And the Rotrex does this without noise, without oil lines connected to the engine, and without the heat common in turbo applications. With boost capabilities of over 20psi we can address any special needs you might have in a custom application."

Dump 20 PSI into the engine, plus a WMI system with I/C if you want, then tune it, and you've got one hell of a car that will put out much more than 344whp.

Even without the Rotrex, you can take the supercharger of a Kompressor that is self contained and dump 12psi into your car. Throw a WMI on top of that and you have a hell of a car.

Besides, do you really need 350+ whp on a MIATA?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
DarkholmeJR99:

I want to see a centrifugal supercharger that can withstand the heat for long period of time. You are talking of a centrifugal supercharger that does not need oil cooling???? Your words seem more of an advertising than anything.

Let me get this straight. I am a fan of innovative ideas. I welcome them but in order to get my final vote I learned that all forced induction systems (whatever they are) need to be put on a test. The Rotrex sounds promissing but yet all you hear is procastination that it will do really good compared to other forced induction set ups, blah, blah, blah. At the same time, you can get for same price a dual ball bearing big turbo that can spool just as fast and make tons of more power.

There is nothing wrong with the Rotrex... and your comments, but I want to see it done to give my final vote. In the other hand, if you are a turbo head like me, my vote and money will be well spent on a Dual Ball Bearing Turbo like the Garrett GT30R.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yeah thats what i figured, i mean, yeah turbos pwn for making HUGE power... but whats the point of that power if you cant drive in a straight line without your tires breaking loose?

if this new rotrex comes out, I am totally going to purchase a miata and a sc.. (yeah, thats right, i dont have a miata but am a frequent visitor to these forums (and miataturbo.net) because they pwn

1 - 20 of 84 Posts