ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently took my car on a 600 mile trip to LA and back and on the trip noticed a ticking/scraping noise that sounds like it's coming from the diff or rear of the car somewhere. It only ticks at a certain RPM in every gear, usually around 3700-3800, with the car in gear and the clutch released.

It sounds confusing to explain but if I accelerate to 4500 (or any RPM above 4000) in any gear, let off the gas, and then let the car drift down to 3500 RPM it makes a noise that lasts for maybe a second or 2 in the 3700-3800 RPM range. I can only describe the sound as a ticking noise accompanied by a scraping/vibrating sound. The sound is not audible while accelerating, however.

I just replaced the rear wheel bearings thinking they were to blame, but no dice.
Car is a 1994 M edition with 108,XXX miles, bone stock and had clutch/tranny fluid done when I bought it about 5000 miles ago.

Any ideas? I hope my diff isn't going out :|

·
Registered
451 Posts
bump, any news on this?

·
Registered
799 Posts
sounds like the differential is going out. i have the same thing. check the video i posed a couple thread down titled "i have a sexy video for you".
if its the same sound that whine then you have the same problem. mine was really quiet before then it got really loud to a point i can bearly drive and the car seems to almost stall

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely not the sound mine is making... Mine is more of a click-click-click-click-click that only lasts for a few seconds. The car is still doing it, though. I decided maybe its just the exhaust vibrating against something a certain RPM because it hasn't gotten worse or changed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts